New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX

ISO1600
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX

I think/bet this lens will be great, but I'm honestly more excited about the price/range of the 18-105/4.

Aug 27, 2013 at 09:54 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX

lsquare wrote:
That's not necessarily the case. The fact that the flange distance is shorter and that there are more camera corrections mean some compromises can be made in the design of the lens. Micro 4/3 relies on in-camera optimizations to correct for the flaws in its lenses. Also lens design have improved over the years. I also expect Sony's premium grade telephoto lens to have a maximum aperture of f/4 to keep it small. Of course it won't be Micro-4/3 small, but that's a given considering Sony is using an APS-C sensor.

I'm not saying they wouldn't be smaller. I'm saying that the difference in size won't be as tangible as it with wider angle lenses, so I can understand why they'd leave teles as the last hole to fill in. Agreed, though, if we're talking about f4 zooms.

Aug 27, 2013 at 09:54 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX

Not too bad IMO.

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/topic100871_post1203883.html#1203883

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:40 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX

These pictures are good enough that I can hope for a good result in RAW, but not enough for me to plunk down 1000€ for the zoom. So, yes, better than most manufacturer-released pics, but less good than the ones most of you guys would post, if the zoom is really good.

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Sagar
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX

I wonder where is the size advantage and why I should buy E-Mount vs say Canon SL1

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:49 AM
alwang
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX

I'm very, very impressed by those photos. Don't know what focal length they were shot at, but it doesn't look like they give up anything to comparable high quality primes except for max aperture. And the sensor in the a3000 looks up to the task as well. It would be nice to see some wider shots, and at infinity.

I'm personally not into shooting zooms, and I already have a pretty good one (the Sony ZA 16-80), but this lens looks worth the price to me.

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:56 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX

Sagar wrote:
I wonder where is the size advantage and why I should buy E-Mount vs say Canon SL1

You shouldn't buy the A3000. The A3000 is for beginners who want cheap DSLR quality in a camera that looks like a DSLR. You'd be better of with the smaller, higher end NEXs, which are still smaller than DSLR counterparts and have better sensors than Canon.

Aug 27, 2013 at 12:52 PM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX

Sagar wrote:

The closest you can get to a lens like this for the SL1 is the Sigma 17-70 2.8 - 4. It is about 50% heavier and 50% bigger (in volume) than this Sony Zeiss.

Aug 27, 2013 at 01:07 PM
joanlvh
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX

looks like the zoom will be about the same size as the Touit 32mm. The touit is for aspc sized sensor, how about the zoom, can it be for FF and aspc.

Also what is the difference in the Touit and the ZA zoom ( new 16-70), wondering about naming? thanks joanlvh

ps thanks for the "likes" i really appreciate them

Aug 27, 2013 at 01:36 PM
inglis
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX

Here are some of the shots posted over at DP at higher resolution,
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/321638695/photos/2672429

Aug 27, 2013 at 05:38 PM

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX

The quality looks pretty dang good. "Shut up and take my money!" quality.

Aug 27, 2013 at 06:13 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX

joanlvh wrote:
looks like the zoom will be about the same size as the Touit 32mm. The touit is for aspc sized sensor, how about the zoom, can it be for FF and aspc.

Also what is the difference in the Touit and the ZA zoom ( new 16-70), wondering about naming? thanks joanlvh

ps thanks for the "likes" i really appreciate them

My guess is that the zoom is APS-C only. If it were that small and intended for a FF sensor, I'm pretty sure they would've held the release until such a camera was available (and made a much bigger deal over their engineering miracle).

The Touits are produced by Zeiss. This is a Zeiss-branded Sony lens.

Aug 27, 2013 at 06:38 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX

I can't see it even coming close to covering FF, and the specs gives some serious hope for the NEX FF lenses.

Joan, 'ZA' is Sony speak for 'designed by Zeiss for us to our broad level functional specification, but we commissioned it and manufactured it'... but it is confused by including A in the ZA, whereas its proper designation is 'SEL' meaning for E mount. All clear? good, you will be given a short test soon ;-)

'"Shut up and take my money!" quality.' Earns a big like from me.

Aug 27, 2013 at 06:54 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX

edwardkaraa wrote:
Not too bad IMO.

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/topic100871_post1203883.html#1203883

I know that the poster was trying out both the new camera and lens but I would've liked to see at least a few samples shot on a NEX-7 or 6.

I'm really digging the m4/3 system right now and I'm awaiting the E-M1. I was invested in the NEX camp for a while and it seemed like everything was just good enough, but nothing really exciting. The last few models out of the m4/3 camp have combined a lot of features that make it seem like a more mature system. What the GX7 has scheduled with the peaking, magnified view, touch AF, low light AF down to -4EV, etc is really exciting. The higher end NEX still doesn't have touch screen. And the wifi remote shooting on the 6 is just blah. I'm really interested to see what the next higher end NEX APS-C has in store. If it doesn't have touch screen, better remote shooting, etc then they're still resort to doing just enough.

Aug 27, 2013 at 07:15 PM
inglis
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX

The nex 5n led me in the direction of manual Contax lenses while waiting for a small full frame. While these lenses are nice on the Nex they are heavy at times. I never did obtain a kit zoom, partly hoping for something more. This looks like it might be the more. So I am also excited.

Aug 27, 2013 at 08:03 PM
sflxn
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX

TMaG82 wrote:
I know that the poster was trying out both the new camera and lens but I would've liked to see at least a few samples shot on a NEX-7 or 6.

I'm really digging the m4/3 system right now and I'm awaiting the E-M1. I was invested in the NEX camp for a while and it seemed like everything was just good enough, but nothing really exciting. The last few models out of the m4/3 camp have combined a lot of features that make it seem like a more mature system. What the GX7 has scheduled with the peaking, magnified
...Show more

I won't argue with the gizmo-esque quality of m43. They do appeal to the gadget nerds in all of us. However, for some of us, it comes down to IQ and handling. For those two points, I still prefer NEX over Fuji X and m43. I do hope Sony ups their game on the higher end NEX. It does frustrates me that Sony comes out with minor releases of the NEX 3 and 5 every year, and there is no signs of an updated NEX 7. With NEX, Sony has been even more conservatively incremental than Canon has been with their DSLRs. I think part of the reason is that out of all the camera makers, only Sony has divided attention. They dabble in everything and are too stubborn to give up on losing battles. Contrast to Canon's and Nikon's more decisive reduction of exposure to P&S and mirrorless, Sony just seems unfocused. Personally, I believe they should consolidate to RX and NEX cameras. If they did that, we'll see much more focused product design and releases.

Aug 27, 2013 at 08:13 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX

philip_pj wrote:
I can't see it even coming close to covering FF, and the specs gives some serious hope for the NEX FF lenses.

Joan, 'ZA' is Sony speak for 'designed by Zeiss for us to our broad level functional specification, but we commissioned it and manufactured it'... but it is confused by including A in the ZA, whereas its proper designation is 'SEL' meaning for E mount. All clear? good, you will be given a short test soon ;-)

'"Shut up and take my money!" quality.' Earns a big like from me.

To be exact it's a ZA E 16-70/4. The E in the designation indicates E mount, just as the DT in the ZA DT 16-80 indicates APS-C specific A mount.

The Sony lens ID is SEL, indicating E mount vs SAL indicating A mount. The A in ZA indicates the Alpha line, which includes all the interchangable-lens Sony stills cameras (NEX's, ILC's and SLT's all have Alpha branding).

Yes, Sony lens designations are as confusing as everybody else's.

Aug 27, 2013 at 09:18 PM
joanlvh
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX

thank you all for the sony lens designation explanation, zooks ! apparently there is also a G mount?
Mawz do you also think the 16-70 will just be for aspc sensors, not FF . thanks again to all joanlvh

Aug 27, 2013 at 09:52 PM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX

mawz wrote:
To be exact it's a ZA E 16-70/4. The E in the designation indicates E mount, just as the DT in the ZA DT 16-80 indicates APS-C specific A mount.

The Sony lens ID is SEL, indicating E mount vs SAL indicating A mount. The A in ZA indicates the Alpha line, which includes all the interchangable-lens Sony stills cameras (NEX's, ILC's and SLT's all have Alpha branding).

Yes, Sony lens designations are as confusing as everybody else's.

Where does Sony refer to it as a ZA?

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:12 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX

Taylor Sherman wrote:
Where does Sony refer to it as a ZA?

Right on the front of the lens. ZA are for a-mount, ZA "E" are for e-mount.

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:02 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.