Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Heart of the Olympic Wilderness

bktools
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Heart of the Olympic Wilderness

In a remote section of Olympic National Park, during a one-day 50 mile hike in 2006. Thanks for looking.

Bob

Aug 26, 2013 at 08:10 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Heart of the Olympic Wilderness

One day 50 mile hike? Yikes! :-)

Aug 26, 2013 at 09:40 PM
Harold Carlson
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Heart of the Olympic Wilderness

Were you running from a bear or something?!

Geez 50 miles in one day you could have crossed the border!

Anyways, nice use of the trail to lead to the mountain.

Aug 26, 2013 at 09:55 PM
bktools
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Heart of the Olympic Wilderness

Hi Dan & Harold,

Many thanks for your most welcome and kind comments.

The hike was one I wanted to do in a day, while I still could, then in 2006 when I was 70, and still could do it. It was one of 3 long day hikes (the others 26 & 36 miles, respectively) that year among others of lesser distance in the Olympics and elsewhere in the West. I was previously a backcountry ranger in Olympic National Park and was fortunate to able to explore and hike all the trails and many trail-less areas at that time. It would have nice to have had the camera gear and software that I have now, then

Bob

Aug 27, 2013 at 01:29 AM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Heart of the Olympic Wilderness

Wow, Bob. I did a 36 mile day hike in relatively flat Virginia, but I sure wasn't 70 (and I'm still not!), but it pretty much took all I had. And I didn't have time to take pictures either. Much like nicely composed ones like that. Must be great to have a picture like that to help you look back on the experience.

Dave

Aug 27, 2013 at 02:46 AM
bktools
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Heart of the Olympic Wilderness

dsjtecserv wrote:
Wow, Bob. I did a 36 mile day hike in relatively flat Virginia, but I sure wasn't 70 (and I'm still not!), but it pretty much took all I had. And I didn't have time to take pictures either. Much like nicely composed ones like that. Must be great to have a picture like that to help you look back on the experience.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for your most welcome and kind comments and glad you like the image. Yes, it was a great trip and good experience, even walking some stretches of trail before dawn and after sunset with a headlamp.

Bob

Aug 27, 2013 at 03:54 AM
PeaktoPeek
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Heart of the Olympic Wilderness

Wow. I suddenly feel like my hiking skills are severely inadequate. As a newcomer to the PNW, I am looking forward to spending a lot of time in the Olympics -- I am truly inspired.
Paul

Aug 27, 2013 at 05:52 AM
bktools
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Heart of the Olympic Wilderness

PeaktoPeek wrote:
Wow. I suddenly feel like my hiking skills are severely inadequate. As a newcomer to the PNW, I am looking forward to spending a lot of time in the Olympics -- I am truly inspired.
Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks very much for your most welcome and kind comments.

Hope you come hiking to the Olympics often, an easy access from your home and the area abounds in photo oportunites.

Bob

Aug 27, 2013 at 01:44 PM
Justan
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Heart of the Olympic Wilderness

Nicely done.

Iíve done about 24 miles on the trail in a day in the Cascades and that was exhausting plus the # of calories burnt was phenomenal. Doing 2x that in the Olympics - that has to be close to some kind of record.

Aug 27, 2013 at 01:47 PM
nwadventurer7
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Heart of the Olympic Wilderness

hey bob..your amazing..where was your starting point, route, and where did you end up on that 50 mile journey. that is done almost at a run..i have done 30 miles in one day with a pack (young guy then), but that is amazing

Aug 27, 2013 at 03:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

andyjaggy82
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Heart of the Olympic Wilderness

That's just ridiculous. I am comfortable with anywhere around 10-15 miles per day. I could probably push myself to 20 if I was really into a groove... but 50? No way. You are an animal man.

Aug 27, 2013 at 04:56 PM
bktools
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Heart of the Olympic Wilderness

Hi Justan, William & Andy,

Many thanks for your most welcome and kind comments about my long distance walking, 7 years ago at age 70, and the last time I have done such trips- age I still walk every day, at more moderate distances, anywhere from 1 to 15 miles+, and carrying my camera all the time. It's the way I start most mornings. Walking is a good, natural exercise.

Bob

Aug 27, 2013 at 08:46 PM
Chuck Eklund
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Heart of the Olympic Wilderness

Nice image Bob. Next birthday will be 70. An auspicious number I think. I am happy with 5-10 mile hikes, although I do always take a camera. Keep walking.

Chuck

Aug 27, 2013 at 08:52 PM
bktools
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Heart of the Olympic Wilderness

Chuck Eklund wrote:
Nice image Bob. Next birthday will be 70. An auspicious number I think. I am happy with 5-10 mile hikes, although I do always take a camera. Keep walking.

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

Many thanks for your most welcome and kind comments and glad you like the image. Indeed, entering one's 8th decade adds another dimension to life with many perspectives. Best wishes to you on that birthday and good walking to you, as well.

Bob

Aug 27, 2013 at 09:36 PM
butlerkid

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Heart of the Olympic Wilderness

You go!!!!!

Stay as active as you can for as long as you can!

You are an inspiration to us all!

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:45 PM
halie
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Heart of the Olympic Wilderness

Wow, hard core, this must have been an action shot. How many hours did you hike that day? Have you tried the Wonderland trail? Might take you almost two days though.

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:49 PM
ChrisKayler
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Heart of the Olympic Wilderness

Congratulations on the hike! Nice shot.

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:54 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Heart of the Olympic Wilderness

bktools wrote:
In a remote section of Olympic National Park, during a one-day 50 mile hike in 2006. Thanks for looking.

Bob

holy smokes 50 miles in one day?? I've not once ever done that much in a week! that's nuts, a double marathon
man you must be 100% slow twitch muscle fiber.
and at 70??!? man 99.99999% of people in college would drop if they tried that.

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:42 AM
bktools
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Heart of the Olympic Wilderness

Hi Karen, halie, Chris & skibum5,

Many thanks for your most welcome and kind comments. It was a challenging hike, but in great Olympic wilderness and in perfect summer weather. I slept well the following night at home.

Bob

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:53 AM
jbledsoe
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Heart of the Olympic Wilderness

bktools wrote:

Bob

50 miles? that's just sick. I'll be happy to do 1/2 that distance when I'm 70. Thanks for the inspiration and a nice view of the wilderness too!

Jeff

Aug 28, 2013 at 04:35 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password