Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · What file type do you shoot when you shoot sports?

jspytek
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What file type do you shoot when you shoot sports?

Didn't see a thread on this and wanted to see how many people are shooting with what file type. Figured a poll would be the quickest way to get an answer.

Aug 26, 2013 at 01:24 PM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What file type do you shoot when you shoot sports?

I think most that shoot on a deadline for a publication would shoot jpgs to save time and get their shots in front of an editor …

I shoot RAW… I've got the time and don’t have the pressure to get my photos in on a deadline…

Aug 26, 2013 at 02:10 PM
MichGoBlue
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What file type do you shoot when you shoot sports?

I have mostly shot jpeg in the past. This year I will be shooting indoors and night games more, so plan on trying RAW to start so I have some room to do some NR if needed.

Aug 26, 2013 at 02:45 PM
shaneroper
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What file type do you shoot when you shoot sports?

Jpeg unless someone ask for raw.

Aug 26, 2013 at 03:09 PM
TSpyers
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What file type do you shoot when you shoot sports?

jpeg

Tim

Aug 26, 2013 at 03:26 PM
mkchang
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What file type do you shoot when you shoot sports?

For me there's no difference (time wise) to shoot jpg so I just shoot raw. Photo mechanic and lightroom both see raw files and I'm generally going to adjust something in lightroom.

Aug 26, 2013 at 03:26 PM
Monkey Falls
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What file type do you shoot when you shoot sports?

I shoot raw. I haven't shot jpeg to see if it would make any appreciable difference in my workflow.

Aug 26, 2013 at 04:04 PM
Hammy
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What file type do you shoot when you shoot sports?

up to 300,000 photos per day, my team shoots JPG.

We have static lighting conditions and glass to fill the frame, so we shoot to sell, with photos from camera to customer in seconds.

Aug 26, 2013 at 04:21 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What file type do you shoot when you shoot sports?

Jpeg.... Too much drive space for RAWS.....

Aug 26, 2013 at 04:46 PM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What file type do you shoot when you shoot sports?

depends on client and needs and gear. If I had a brand new Retina SSD 16gb ram Macbook Pro and a fast card/card reader, I would probably go ahead and shoot RAW everything, but since I don't, I shoot what the client wants. Wires typically want JPG, and since I want my photos on the wire as quick as possible, I do not want to spend the extra time on editing RAW files. Even a few seconds can be the difference in a sale or no sale.

As for drive space, storage gets cheaper and cheaper, so that is not always the issue anymore.

If I am shooting for boosters with the intent on creating posters or some special photo project, I will typically shoot either RAW or RAW+JPG so I can get the JPG's posted quickly, and have the RAW files to work on later.

The key is capturing a correctly exposed image with proper WB that is sharp and composed well from the start.

Aug 26, 2013 at 05:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Caleb Williams
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What file type do you shoot when you shoot sports?

mkchang wrote:
For me there's no difference (time wise) to shoot jpg so I just shoot raw. Photo mechanic and lightroom both see raw files and I'm generally going to adjust something in lightroom.

How are you making up the larger file size difference when dumping cards? Just a fast HD and card reader?

To answer the original question, like many others have said: it depends on the situation. A lot of time is Jpegs for sports, but RAW for low-light situations and key events.

Aug 26, 2013 at 08:17 PM
mkchang
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What file type do you shoot when you shoot sports?

I have 2 drives in my laptop. One ssd and the one that came with the laptop. I normally only ingest the shots that were locked in camera and then do an actual dump of the card when I get home. When im done ill copy all the files to a separate drobo.

Aug 26, 2013 at 08:30 PM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What file type do you shoot when you shoot sports?

Low light... usually RAW. Otherwise, often JPG.

Tournament photography... almost always JPG, even for low light. Pressure is on to hand over the images and get them up scrolling quickly with little or no processing pre-purchase.

Aug 27, 2013 at 12:11 AM
Widgic
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What file type do you shoot when you shoot sports?

I shoot almost exclusively in RAW, the only exception is when I shoot for a tournament outfit which requires JPEG (because they don't do any edits at all).

My tests showed me that the speed difference between shooting RAW or JPEG in my workflow is negligible and the flexibility that RAW provides for post-processing makes up for any differences.

My workflow is a follow: on game day I usually have to deliver photos *before* the end of the game. So usually during 1/2 time, I just stay on the sideline, grab my computer (Macbook Air 13"), my card reader and use PhotoMechanics to select / caption / crop 10 to 15 photos and output them to JPEG. Then I send them to the client either using WiFi (if provided by the venue) or through tethering to my phone. The time saving trick is to not copy the RAW photos to the laptop hard drive, only the output JPEGs. In this case Photomechanics is almost as fast processing RAW as it is for JPEG. I almost never bring photos in Lightroom or Photoshop when working on the sideline.

Post game, I copy all the photos on my desktop where the RAW format gives me a lot more flexibility to deliver more processed photos to my client.

Finally I never deliver RAW images to my clients, my contract stipulate that I own the RAW images and that they only receive JPEGs. If they want a different processing on a specific image, depending on the client / contract, it can be a extra fee for the work (usually charged at an hourly rate).

Denis
www.widgic.com

Aug 27, 2013 at 01:26 AM
jspytek
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What file type do you shoot when you shoot sports?

Thanks for the input. I posted the question because of a bit of click envy. I shot with my D7000 (rated at 6 fps) next to some D3 and D3S's recently and was like damn to hear them go rapid fire for as long as they did made me question my gear. Then within a one week period I heard two sports shooters tell me ohh yeah you should be shooting in JPG, which was counter to what I was originally taught. It got me to thinking, maybe I was missing out by jamming up my gear with those large RAW files.

I just downloaded an app with a stop watch that counts to the .001 of a second. Stood back and held the button down using JPG normal, then JPG fine, then RAW.

Average cycle times:
JPG Normal - .165 seconds 6.07 fps
JPG Fine - .167 seconds 6.00 fps
RAW - .156 seconds 6.40 fps

Buffer for JPG - 58 shots - quick recycle time to get to the next 58 shots
Buffer for RAW - 9 shots - then had to wait several seconds for the buffer to empty.

Shooting with a SanDisk Ultra 30 MB/s class 10 16 GB card.

Thank ya'll for the excellent feedback, such as "I shoot what the client wants /needs" "I change what I shoot depending on the time of day / event" " etc. Excellent things to consider and I will be working on that this fall.

Aug 28, 2013 at 06:57 PM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What file type do you shoot when you shoot sports?

Raw + Jpeg...

Aug 29, 2013 at 04:10 AM
Marty Bingham
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What file type do you shoot when you shoot sports?

jspytek wrote:
I shot....next to some D3 and D3S's recently and was like damn to hear them go rapid fire for as long as they did made me question my gear.

Makes me question their shooting technique. Earlier this year a guy next to me at Talladega machine gunned like three bursts of twenty shots of the track drying truck, which was doing about 1/2 a mile per hour. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I only bring it up to advise you not to be influenced much by what the other shooters are doing.

With that being said, in my simple mind, everything I shoot winds up as a jpeg in the end anyway so I just start out that way and eliminate a step or two in the process. I'm sure that sounds stupid to some brainiacs somewhere but so be it. It works for me (and occasionally SI).

Marty

Aug 29, 2013 at 08:11 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What file type do you shoot when you shoot sports?

What's RAW

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:08 PM
pedwatt

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What file type do you shoot when you shoot sports?

P Alesse wrote:
What's RAW

I shoot pure raw and had never questioned that until Paul posted ^^^

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:48 AM
jspytek
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What file type do you shoot when you shoot sports?

Thanks Marty. I've only been at a few of professional games and it's easy to get caught up in gear chasing. I've just got to be more confident in what I shoot.

Aug 30, 2013 at 03:30 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password