New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Android apps for Canon?

Allan Bruce
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Android apps for Canon?

I have recently been on holiday and didn't take a laptop with me but took an Android tablet instead. It would be nice to connect the camera to the tablet to see the images on a large screen so I was wondering what apps people use to connect an Android device to Canon cameras?

I found a demo of CR2 thumbnailer which seems to work but can be a little tempormental detecting my 7D. Before I go ahead and buy the app I was wondering what other people might recommend?

Thanks
Allan

Aug 26, 2013 at 06:48 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Android apps for Canon?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.dslrcontroller

Aug 26, 2013 at 07:29 AM
Allan Bruce
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Android apps for Canon?

Great, I don't suppose anyone has tried this with the EOS-M? It doesn't mention it in the docs...

Aug 26, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Android apps for Canon?

I've never been able to get any of the poxy DSLR apps to recognise a camera. My bad luck.

Aug 26, 2013 at 10:37 AM
Joe Garner
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Android apps for Canon?

Allan Bruce wrote:
Great, I don't suppose anyone has tried this with the EOS-M? It doesn't mention it in the docs...

As far as I know it does not work with EOS-M since the camera does not have tethered shooting capability.

Aug 26, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Allan Bruce
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Android apps for Canon?

Ok thanks. Looks like I might need to buy both to get the tethered shooting for the 7D and the image reviewing for the M.

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Android apps for Canon?

Allan , what 'droid tablet was you using? does it have some form of camera connection kit available . I dont know droid well as I use the ipad but I know some of the droid tabs can connect a card reader.

by the way for my 7D when Im not shooting loads of images (i did this while on holiday las week) I use the transcend Wifi SD card in an SD adapter and just wirlessly transfer the files to my ipad via Shuttersnitch . Im pretty sure there is an android version.

I can shoot RAW+ Jpeg and it only sends the jpegs . the card size i have is 16gb (there is a 32 available) which was plenty on the trip (not a huge photo op trip) .
but I also shoot SD cards and use the SD card reader for the ipad if im shooting lots of images .

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:58 AM
PatrickSweeney
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Android apps for Canon?

Maybe I'm too cheap, but paying for beta, on the promise it will be de-bugged (likely with me as part of the crew finding bugs) doesn't appeal.

What I'd like is a simple viewer; I hook my android tablet to my Canon 7D, and I see what it sees. I don't need to control, program, etc. remotely. Anyone know of something like that?

Aug 27, 2013 at 12:45 PM
nma
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Android apps for Canon?

Allan Bruce wrote:
I have recently been on holiday and didn't take a laptop with me but took an Android tablet instead. It would be nice to connect the camera to the tablet to see the images on a large screen so I was wondering what apps people use to connect an Android device to Canon cameras?

I found a demo of CR2 thumbnailer which seems to work but can be a little tempormental detecting my 7D. Before I go ahead and buy the app I was wondering what other people might recommend?

Thanks
Allan

Allan,

You should consider dSLR Controller, an Android app that will run on phones and tablets with recent vintage Android OS. It requires a USB cable to achieve its magic. When connected the camera is operating in live view, with remote display on your tablet. I use it for (1) focus stacking, (2) HDR capture (many exposures, if desired) and (1) and (2) at the same time. For focus stacking it can calculate the number of images needed for the stack and pull focus from point A to B. Also note the WiFi pass through feature, suggesting the additional possibility of wireless capability.

From their feature page:

Main features include:
Liveview
Focus points and area
Zoom area and control
Luminosity and RGB histograms
Grid and aspect ratio overlays
Anamorphic desqueeze (1.3, 1.5, 2.0x)
Display filters
Horizontal/vertical level (if supported)
Audio levels (if supported)
Lightmeter feedback (if supported)
Mirroring
Focus
Auto focus
Manual focus
Remote manual focus
3-speed focus adjustments
Bracketing (with AEB/HDR support)
A-B pull
Capture
Normal capture
Bulb capture (hold as well as timed)
Continuous capture
Video recording
Mirror Lockup support
Image review
CR2 support
Luminosity and RGB histograms
EXIF display
Exposure blinking
Follow shot mode
Mirroring
Image sharing
Selectively save to Android or camera
HDR capture (Auto Exposure Bracketing)
Exposure Compensation
Shutterspeed
Aperture
ISO
Bulb
Timelapse capture
Supports HDR/AEB capture
Wi-Fi Passthrough
Adjustable settings include:
Shutter speed
Aperture
Exposure compensation
Exposure bracketing
Flash compensation
ISO speed
Auto focus mode
Focus and zoom area
Picture style
Drive mode
White balance
Color temperature
Auto-lighting optimizer
Metering mode
Image quality and format
Video quality and format
Display filters include:
Exposure
Peaking (four modes)
Contrast (four modes)
Channel mask (four modes)
Grayscale (four modes)

Aug 27, 2013 at 01:15 PM
Allan Bruce
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Android apps for Canon?

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Allan , what 'droid tablet was you using? does it have some form of camera connection kit available . I dont know droid well as I use the ipad but I know some of the droid tabs can connect a card reader.

by the way for my 7D when Im not shooting loads of images (i did this while on holiday las week) I use the transcend Wifi SD card in an SD adapter and just wirlessly transfer the files to my ipad via Shuttersnitch . Im pretty sure there is an android version.

I can shoot RAW+ Jpeg and it
...Show more

Hi Ian. It is a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 that I have. I have a card reader which should technically work but it apparently draws too much power and therefore doesn't work. I can connect the camera fine since it is a powered source.

Aug 27, 2013 at 01:46 PM
Allan Bruce
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Android apps for Canon?

PatrickSweeney wrote:
Maybe I'm too cheap, but paying for beta, on the promise it will be de-bugged (likely with me as part of the crew finding bugs) doesn't appeal.

What I'd like is a simple viewer; I hook my android tablet to my Canon 7D, and I see what it sees. I don't need to control, program, etc. remotely. Anyone know of something like that?

I feel similar. That is why I tried cr2 downloader free version first which only lets you see 5 images on the card. As I mentioned it is temperamental at best so shelling out seems a bit of a waste even if it is relatively inexpensive. You might want to try it though, it looks like it would do exactly what you need if it works with your devices...

Aug 27, 2013 at 01:48 PM
Allan Bruce
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Android apps for Canon?

nma wrote:
Allan,

You should consider dSLR Controller, an Android app that will run on phones and tablets with recent vintage Android OS. It requires a USB cable to achieve its magic. When connected the camera is operating in live view, with remote display on your tablet. I use it for (1) focus stacking, (2) HDR capture (many exposures, if desired) and (1) and (2) at the same time. For focus stacking it can calculate the number of images needed for the stack and pull focus from point A to B. Also note the WiFi pass through feature, suggesting the additional possibility of
...Show more

This is what has been recommended and seems to offer pretty good features. If I shell out for it I will report back with my experiences.
Cheers
Allan

Aug 27, 2013 at 01:49 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Android apps for Canon?

Allan Bruce wrote:
Hi Ian. It is a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 that I have. I have a card reader which should technically work but it apparently draws too much power and therefore doesn't work. I can connect the camera fine since it is a powered source.

OK Allan , shame about the reader
what size (Gig) is your 10.1? My ipad is the 64gig and when im on a trip i find that unless i clear a bunch of stuff off it that its quite easy to run out of memory . (had a 32 gig before and that was unuasble for Raw files)

but (and now im delving into the unknown for me) with the camera connected can you navigate the card as if its a memory card or does it (just like the ipad) just show you the images to download ?
if so maybe you can select the file type to download.

if not back when I had an Android phone I had an app that let me cut and paste files on a memory card . I could shoot RAW+Jpeg and insert the card into the phone (yes it was a micro sd) and then I could move the RAW files to a folder OUTSIDE the DCIM folder (the ipad looks for the dcim folder) . I could the insert the SD card into the connection kit and the ipad would only see the jpegs and import only those .
worked pretty well and was a big space saver .
lets face it do you really need to be viewing RAW files on a 10 inch screen? your most likely only viewing the embedded jpeg anyway and the rest of the RAW is taking up valuable memory space . the 18mp sensors from the 7D and M (i pressume) produce a 20+mb RAW file and they soon take up space . also they take an age to import (the ipad to 7D camera connection kit is very slow when dealing with RAW files, and i bet the android will be no quicker)

Aug 27, 2013 at 02:22 PM
Allan Bruce
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Android apps for Canon?

You have a point but I find that I can usually get rid of about 50-75% of shots which eases up my space. The tablet I have is only 16GB but it has a 64GB memory card in it. I am not bothered necessarily about space, it is just nice to see the photos on a larger screen. I could connect a powered hard drive to the tablet if I really want to free up space...

Aug 27, 2013 at 02:52 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Android apps for Canon?

Really wish they'd get DSLR Controller working over WiFi for Canon; my 6D is itching for it. Though I'll definitely be making sure that my next phone, which will be some form of phablet (hopefully with a Note-type stylus, but I'm done with Samsung) if I don't pick up a dedicated tablet instead, has the ability to do the USB-style connectivity along with the IR control stuff that another app out there provides.

My intention is to rig a phone/tablet mount to the camera/L-bracket/monopod/tripod as fitting, both to provide a larger, higher-resolution Live-view source and in part to compensate for the lack of an articulating screen on all but the cheapest of Canon's semi-pro DSLRs.

Aug 27, 2013 at 05:26 PM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Android apps for Canon?

I have many Android devices, but I am using my Nexus 10 and Samsung Galaxy Note II for photography. The approach I took was to purchase a short OTG cable. This plugs into the micro USB port on the device and has a standard USB connector at the other end. I have a very small USB SD card reader and a very small USB CF reader. I can just plug the cable into either device and use the appropriate card reader to upload or view the images on either device. On the Nexus 10, I also have a piece of software called Nexus Media Importer (see Google Play Store) to assist with file management at import. Once the files are on the tablet or phone. I have several apps to work with the files.

The Nexus 10 has a very high resolution screen (2560x1600) and excellent gray scale and color performance. Images are extremely detailed on the tablet and it performs very quickly; even with full size 5DIII images.

Aug 28, 2013 at 01:05 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Android apps for Canon?

This might be what you are after
http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57595146-285/control-a-dslr-camera-with-your-android-phone-or-tablet/

http://petapixel.com/2013/03/21/give-your-dslr-a-brain-by-connecting-an-android-phone/

Aug 28, 2013 at 01:19 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Android apps for Canon?

Keep in mind that, AFAIK, you can return play store apps with a full refund within 15 minutes of installing.

So if you get everything set up beforehand, set your stopwatch, and download-- you should have enough of a chance to give the app a quick run-through. Perhaps look through the manual/FAQ beforehand, or get on youtube, so you know what to expect and know how to test the couple features you're mainly after.

It is a bit of a shame that it's labelled beta. But in the few times I've tried it... the app works quite well.

I was also looking the website of the maker the other day, and there appear to be a few wireless protocols for getting it working.

Apparently it works natively for the 6D as is, or via two devices (two phones, say) with one hardwired and the actual controller over wi-fi: http://dslrcontroller.com/guide-wifi.php

Aug 28, 2013 at 02:52 AM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Android apps for Canon?

To add to my post above, here are the readers that I am using; they work fine on a short OTG cable.

SD: http://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-MicroMate-Memory-Reader-SDDR-113/dp/B000YBH4YU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377683105&sr=8-1&keywords=sandisk+sd+card+reader

CF: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005IMFX2K/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Aug 28, 2013 at 04:48 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Android apps for Canon?

justruss wrote:
Apparently it works natively for the 6D as is, or via two devices (two phones, say) with one hardwired and the actual controller over wi-fi: http://dslrcontroller.com/guide-wifi.php

No luck with this yet, been trying for months.

Aug 28, 2013 at 07:10 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.