New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · At the Kill, I (graphic)

sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · At the Kill, I (graphic)

A bit of backstory.
Day #1 at Ngorongoro Crater, so, apart from the baboons we passed on the way in, this was the first exposure to wildlife on the safari. And just a few miles from camp we spotted a scene in the distance. "A National Geographic Moment" declared Casmir, our guide. Why? Lions rarely will tolerate a hyena attempting to share a kill. This one allowed two to take turns with different ends of the wildebeest carcass, while jackals attempted to grab bits a pieces from the predators' meal.
After some time the lioness got up, walked to the other end of the carcass, switching off with the two hyenas eating alongside. Eventually the jackals got some breakfast after the others had their fill.

OK, so what about the image?

Scott

GoetzPhotoz 2013

Aug 25, 2013 at 08:23 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · At the Kill, I (graphic)

Sorry but from that distance a great bit is lost for me given the back-story.

That said, I think I mentioned to you the surprisingly (to me) huge size of the hyena on display at ATL - using that beast as the basis, that is one large cat!

regards,

Bob

Aug 26, 2013 at 01:28 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · At the Kill, I (graphic)

The expressions on the lion and hyenna are what draws me the most. Might be interesting to severely crop this image and focus in the animals in the center of the frame.

Aug 26, 2013 at 02:22 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · At the Kill, I (graphic)

I think this image would have been much more powerful if shot with a 14-24 lens, which means you would have been right over them, getting the carcass more into the shot.

I think it's a really interesting, true to life (or death), image. I'm curious how many images you popped off while observing them from a safe distance.

Ron

Edited on Aug 26, 2013 at 02:32 PM · View previous versions

Aug 26, 2013 at 02:32 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · At the Kill, I (graphic)

Bob Jarman wrote:
Sorry but from that distance a great bit is lost for me given the back-story.

That said, I think I mentioned to you the surprisingly (to me) huge size of the hyena on display at ATL - using that beast as the basis, that is one large cat!

regards,

Bob

Appreciate the response.
I opted to present the full image on the left because of the other hyena and jackal in the grass. But I understand the short-coming.

Scott

Aug 26, 2013 at 02:32 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · At the Kill, I (graphic)

friscoron wrote:
I think this image would have been much more powerful if shot with a 14-24 lens, which means you would have been right over them, getting the carcass more into the shot.

I think it's a really interesting, true to life (or death), image. I'm curious how many images you popped off while observing them from a safe distance.

Ron

More powerful from a fear, olfactory, visual, danger perspective, indeed!
How many? Many. Many with hidden "faces" in the grasses or carcass. I will see what else might work.
Scott

Aug 26, 2013 at 02:34 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · At the Kill, I (graphic)

I'm not saying this one didn't work. I like it.

Aug 26, 2013 at 02:50 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · At the Kill, I (graphic)

eeneryma wrote:
The expressions on the lion and hyenna are what draws me the most. Might be interesting to severely crop this image and focus in the animals in the center of the frame.

Seems to echo some of Bob's thoughts.
I will post a crop.
Unfortunately no images from closer in and softness is a challenge
But I want to find the most effective image(s) to document the scene and the best processing to optimize the image(s)

Scott

Aug 26, 2013 at 03:18 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · At the Kill, I (graphic)

sbeme wrote:
Seems to echo some of Bob's thoughts.
I will post a crop.
Unfortunately no images from closer in and softness is a challenge
But I want to find the most effective image(s) to document the scene and the best processing to optimize the image(s)

Scott
Go ahead and post up some - perhaps several of those will yield the results you seek. Consider all the permutations

Aug 26, 2013 at 03:41 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · At the Kill, I (graphic)

Scott: Just an exercise in cropping. Hope you don't mind me playing with your image. If not, I'll be glad to take it down.
I often see pros with 2 cameras hanging around their neck, switching from wide angle to telephoto to get the shot before it's gone. Not sure how they handle the weight of the camera and lenses. Must be plenty of backaches at the end of the day.

At the Kill cropped

Aug 26, 2013 at 07:54 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · At the Kill, I (graphic)

eenyrema,
First, what is your real name?
Second, always OK to repost my images....its in my profile. Just dont share them beyond FM.
Crop looks good. Although the original was a crop of wasted space, I was hesitant to pull in tighter on two fronts. Resolution and trying to include....too much.
Third, I had two bodies with me at all times. A 7D with the 100-400 on it at all times which served as the main lens on safari, covering probably 90% of the images I took. And a 5D MkII with a 24-105 lens on it, used for portraits, other city and people scenes, landscapes. I brought an ultrawide 17-40, but, as I was forewarned, it got virtually no use. Nor did my 100 Macro.
Pleasantly, some of our elephant encounters required quick switch from telephoto zoomed in to out to switch to normal, then wide lengths as it came ever closer.
We had the luxury of extra seats to safely rest unused bodies/gear. At one of the hippos pools I did the two cameras around the neck thing. Plus binoculars.

Scott

Aug 26, 2013 at 08:06 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · At the Kill, I (graphic)

My first name is Steve. Quick story on my internet name: for some reason, my last name is somewhat common, so when years ago I applied on aol for a pen name, the easy to remember ones were taken. So I decided to use my daughter's first and middle name spelled backwards, easy to remember and available.
You have no worry that I will ever post anyone else's work, anywhere.
I enjoy looking at your photos, and admire your industry, passion, and excellent craft.

Aug 26, 2013 at 08:44 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · At the Kill, I (graphic)

+1 @ the crop helps, but I think it's a bit tight. Might consider retaining the left edge animals. That one stalk is calling out to be cloned.

Aug 27, 2013 at 08:55 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.