Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Coldwater Falls

Bob Jarman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Coldwater Falls

On the Diamond Lake - Roseburg highway...first fall heading toward Roseburg...actually looking across stream, not the falls itself.

Anyway, thinking about print possibilities? Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Bob

NIKON D2X    Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) (A16NII) lens    22mm    f/4.5    1/20s    100 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Aug 25, 2013 at 03:17 PM
Oregon Gal
• • •
p.1 #2 · Coldwater Falls

To me the shadows lack detail, I might try lightening them up a touch. I did a little burning to the shadows of the downed trees, used luminosity masks to bring back some detail in the blacks, a curves adjustment and a small gamma adjustment. Of course your vision may be different so just a suggestion for possible alternate processing.

Aug 25, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Coldwater Falls

Thanks Barbara,

I'll revisit - tried luminosity masks but got so snarled with the light-lights everything turned to mushy gray.

Ended using a gradient in ACR on right side, perhaps the same, opposite direction is necessary for left.

Have you traveled that highway from Crater Lake and Diamond Lake back down to "the 5"?

Bob

Aug 25, 2013 at 10:58 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Coldwater Falls

Looks like the fallen are trying to create a railway.

Aug 25, 2013 at 11:40 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Coldwater Falls

AuntiPode wrote:
Looks like the fallen are trying to create a railway.

I had the same impression.

Barbara: Nicely done. Lots for me to learn in PS.

Bob: Nicely seen. Talk about leading lines!

Scott

Aug 26, 2013 at 01:27 AM
Oregon Gal
• • •
p.1 #6 · Coldwater Falls

Yes Bob, I have traveled that Hwy and its a beautiful scenic drive. I usually head N on the 5 and head from the 5 towards Diamond Lake. I am about 1 1/2 hrs S. of Roseburg. Funny, I was just up there yesterday on the way to the coast and stopped in Roseburg for lunch. It's a lovely image.

Aug 26, 2013 at 03:48 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Coldwater Falls

Oregon Gal wrote:
Yes Bob, I have traveled that Hwy and its a beautiful scenic drive. I usually head N on the 5 and head from the 5 towards Diamond Lake. I am about 1 1/2 hrs S. of Roseburg. Funny, I was just up there yesterday on the way to the coast and stopped in Roseburg for lunch. It's a lovely image.

Thanks,

Furthermost (coming from Crater Lake) pull-off we explored was Watson Falls - lengthy hike and substantial drop but could not make it work photographically.

Aug 26, 2013 at 01:59 PM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #8 · Coldwater Falls

Bob, great composition. I really like the contrast between the shaded area on the left and the light coming through the trees on the right.

Hope you don't mind me playing around. I did a vertical gradient to make the left darker and some local adjustments on the right to increase exposure/clarity/saturation. Definitely a different take on the vision.

Aug 26, 2013 at 04:26 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Coldwater Falls

FarmerJohn wrote:
Bob, great composition. I really like the contrast between the shaded area on the left and the light coming through the trees on the right.

Hope you don't mind me playing around. I did a vertical gradient to make the left darker and some local adjustments on the right to increase exposure/clarity/saturation. Definitely a different take on the vision.

Thanks for the rework, more eyes the better.

I tried HDR but the results were flat and comic-booky - still room for play to get it right. Late morning sun, and given you're locale is CO, you understand the very brilliant and harsh light.

Regards,

Bob

Edited on Aug 26, 2013 at 06:18 PM · View previous versions

Aug 26, 2013 at 06:14 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Coldwater Falls

sbeme wrote:
I had the same impression.

Barbara: Nicely done. Lots for me to learn in PS.

Bob: Nicely seen. Talk about leading lines!

Scott

Have to admit I considered trying to walk across to the other side but given where we were and the water temp thought the better of it. Of course a soaked DSLR never occurred to me.

Bob

Aug 26, 2013 at 06:17 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · Coldwater Falls

Why not just use a bit of simple shadow fill and perhaps highlight recovery (in ACR / Lr) ?
Mind you, I don't know how much shadow detail you can recover from D2x photos. You'd get plenty out of a low-ISO D800 photo

- Alan

Sep 09, 2013 at 10:20 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password