FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · River Otters in MA

Bsmooth
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · River Otters in MA

This is probably a regular sighting in many areas, but here in Massachusetts, there rather rare.Matter of fact I've never seen one here in over 40 years. I was out in the Audubon sanctuary in Topsfield MA. I had just missed a picture of a great Blue Heron, well I did get a picture, but it was rather blurry.
It was just then I heard large splashes, I was thinking fish, and saw what looked like a beaver at first, which are pretty frequent, but it was too long, but it surfaced and I saw it was an Otter, or should I say a pair. The first one cruising by showed its teeth and growled, but I was amazed, here were two Otters and only 6 to 10 feet away, and me with a 100-400 lens.
Funny part was I missed about 10 seconds just watching, they then cruised by and sloshed about for a minute or so and then suddenly they were gone.
It was about 10:00 AM. I had all the settings right, and still only got maybe 6 images, which is still amazing because I had the camera, a 1DMkII BTW set to shoot slow burst shots, and forgot squeezing off single shots instead.
I told some Photographers gathered near the parking lot who were talking rather spirited about shutter and F-stop settings what I had seen, and where, but they barely stopped there conversation.
I read that the Otter is making a comeback here and that they only do it in areas that are plentiful with fish. I'm glad because they really were something to see.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3760/9587895968_2c6aa9aa33_b.jpg

Aug 24, 2013 at 09:07 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · River Otters in MA

Great capture and story Bruce

Morris

Aug 24, 2013 at 09:09 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · River Otters in MA

Wonderful find Bruce and great shot !! It is always such a joy to find and experience something you weren't expecting .

Birdie

Aug 24, 2013 at 09:24 PM
ScottHM
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · River Otters in MA

Nice work...I know sometimes it is hard getting over your excitement of seeing something to actually get off the shots in the way that you want to. It probably comes with more practice, but I never hope to lose that sense of wonderment and excitement.

Aug 24, 2013 at 09:33 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · River Otters in MA

Congrats on the find and the shot Bruce ~ Ron

Aug 25, 2013 at 06:36 AM
naturesmoments
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · River Otters in MA

Wonderful experience and image!!! Congratulations!

Aug 25, 2013 at 06:51 AM
Plinian
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · River Otters in MA

Nice image and great narrative, Bruce. Otters in Massachusetts! Amazing. ~Greg

Aug 25, 2013 at 08:58 AM
kosin
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · River Otters in MA

Nice find!

Greg Gard

Aug 25, 2013 at 02:21 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · River Otters in MA

very nice Bruce

Aug 25, 2013 at 06:47 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · River Otters in MA

What a great find! Congrats on seeing the otters, and for getting an image.

Aug 25, 2013 at 09:14 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · River Otters in MA

I like Bruce....well done!

Aug 26, 2013 at 07:55 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · River Otters in MA

Sometimes nature surprises us Fun shot of the character Bruce

Tim

Aug 26, 2013 at 08:11 AM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · River Otters in MA

Its the images, and photographers here on FM that really inspire me, hokey though that may sound its very true, at least to me. There are all sorts of birds ,animals and flora, that I might have ever seen before If it wasn't for this site, and my interest in Photography.
The images here really are amazing.I go in here at break times at work, and theres been a few times people have stopped in there tracks, and asked me what something was on the screen.
Theres also what you can learn as well, the image is what gets you started, then comes the digging for info about what you've seen.
Thens theres the great stories as well about how the image was taken and the travels to get it.
So I guess in my long winded manner, what I'm trying to say is thanks. Thanks for the inspiration, and I hope that childish wonderment of things never goes away, that and I don't forget to push the shutter button !

Aug 26, 2013 at 12:53 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.