New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · help with finding out how many shots on a 1D4

lesgage
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · help with finding out how many shots on a 1D4

If any of you have the software to check a Canon 1D4, to find out how many shots are on the shutter...Please let me hear from you? I can send you a file, if that would help?
Les

Aug 24, 2013 at 10:47 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · help with finding out how many shots on a 1D4

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1236445/0#11766441

Edited on Aug 26, 2013 at 11:52 AM · View previous versions

Aug 24, 2013 at 11:59 AM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · help with finding out how many shots on a 1D4

EOSCount supports the 1D Mark IV.

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:28 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · help with finding out how many shots on a 1D4

jcolwell wrote:
Only Canon can help you with this.

Eoscount works on 1DIV's.

I was able to use it on both of mine before they made it a payware. After they started charging, I quit caring lol.

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · help with finding out how many shots on a 1D4

jcolwell wrote:
Only Canon can help you with this.

"Which cameras are supported for shutter count retrieval?
Single-DIGIC III, all DIGIC IV, and some DIGIC V EOS cameras are supported. For example, shutter count can be read from the

Rebel XS / 1000D / Kiss F
Rebel XSi / 450D / Kiss X2
Rebel T1i / 500D / Kiss X3
Rebel T2i / 550D / Kiss X4
Rebel T3 / 1100D / Kiss X50
Rebel T3i / 600D / Kiss X5
Rebel T4i / 650D / Kiss X6i
40D
50D
60D
7D
5D Mark II
5D Mark III
1D Mark IV
1D X
DIGIC II and dual DIGIC III cameras are not supported. For example, shutter count is not available for the original 5D (Mark I), the 1D Mark III, and the 1Ds Mark III."

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · help with finding out how many shots on a 1D4

RobertLynn wrote:
Eoscount works on 1DIV's.

I was able to use it on both of mine before they made it a payware. After they started charging, I quit caring lol.

Yeah, $2.29 is such a lot to pay.

Aug 24, 2013 at 01:00 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · help with finding out how many shots on a 1D4

Hmmm. I used EOScount on my 5DII before selling it. I didn't know it worked on newer cameras, after the 1DsIII and 1DIII.

Thanks, guys.

Aug 24, 2013 at 01:14 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · help with finding out how many shots on a 1D4

DanBrown wrote:
EOSCount supports the 1D Mark IV.

I used it one time after they started charging to get the total count before I sold it.

Aug 24, 2013 at 03:19 PM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · help with finding out how many shots on a 1D4

If you use FoCal it will also give you the shutter count.

Aug 25, 2013 at 04:37 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · help with finding out how many shots on a 1D4

According to Canon techs (via direct conversation with them) only Canon, or presumably someone with their software, can provide an accurate reading of shutter actuations for any 1D series camera later than the 1D(s)II. Just for grins I ran EOScount on a 1DIV I'd received back from servicing. Guess what? EOSCount was nowhere close. I'm sure I'll get a chorus of shouts about how I'm full of it, and I suppose Canon techs could lie to their CPS customers on a regular basis just for fun, but Jim Colwell is correct on this question. Only Canon knows.

Besides, shutter count isn't the key issue in determining value of a pro body. Overall condition, documentation of regular service, viewing pix from the camera, and price are all more important. Shutters do wear out, but other than those that die of infant mortality 200k - 400k is not uncommon.

Robert

Aug 26, 2013 at 10:06 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · help with finding out how many shots on a 1D4

OntheRez wrote:
... Just for grins I ran EOScount on a 1DIV I'd received back from servicing. Guess what? EOSCount was nowhere close...

That's what I'd heard. Next time one of mine is in for servicing, I'll get the count from Canon and compare. Hopefully, that'll be a long time from now... Knocking on my wooden head.

Aug 26, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · help with finding out how many shots on a 1D4

OntheRez wrote:
According to Canon techs (via direct conversation with them) only Canon, or presumably someone with their software, can provide an accurate reading of shutter actuations for any 1D series camera later than the 1D(s)II. Just for grins I ran EOScount on a 1DIV I'd received back from servicing. Guess what? EOSCount was nowhere close. I'm sure I'll get a chorus of shouts about how I'm full of it, and I suppose Canon techs could lie to their CPS customers on a regular basis just for fun, but Jim Colwell is correct on this question. Only Canon knows.

I guess that means you don't believe Canon software can be hacked?

Besides, shutter count isn't the key issue in determining value of a pro body.

Nobody said it was.

Aug 26, 2013 at 12:31 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · help with finding out how many shots on a 1D4

My take-away from Robert's post is that the Canon and EOScount shutter counts were significantly different. Which do you think is the most credible?

Aug 26, 2013 at 12:33 PM
PhotoTeacher
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · help with finding out how many shots on a 1D4

I recently came across another shutter count program for Canon cameras. I can't personally vouch for its accuracy but others have said it is accurate. You can check out:

http://www.shutteractuations.com

Aug 26, 2013 at 01:59 PM
PV Hiker
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · help with finding out how many shots on a 1D4

I have been able to get shutter count with FoCal for 1Dx, 1Dmk4 & 5Dmk3 bodies. If you have this program...........

Aug 26, 2013 at 02:17 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · help with finding out how many shots on a 1D4

jcolwell wrote:
My take-away from Robert's post is that the Canon and EOScount shutter counts were significantly different. Which do you think is the most credible?

Yes, one would expect Canon would be more credible. However, there are many who believe the EOSCount is accurate. So, for those just wanting a faster and cheaper method, they can try EOSCount. You can't even ship your camera one-way to Canon for the price it costs to use EOSCount.

Aug 26, 2013 at 02:41 PM
Chumma
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · help with finding out how many shots on a 1D4

EOSCount may be providing correct info for serial number, battery level, firmware version etc. But that doesn’t mean the shutter count number it provides is accurate. Using Canon SDK, it is not difficult to write a program to retrieve a lot of information, such as serial number, battery level, artist name etc., but not the shutter count info.

So, someone could create a program to correctly show the serial number, battery level, artist name etc., then provide an assumed number for shutter count and collect money from the user.

Aug 26, 2013 at 03:13 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.