Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Thoughts on Heliopan UV/IR Filter...Worth $300?

BostonGreg
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Thoughts on Heliopan UV/IR Filter...Worth $300?

Heliopan 77mm Digital UV and IR Blocking Glass Filter.

Considering purchasing this UV/IR filter for my new Zeiss 135mm ZE. I've heard some good things but wanted to see if anyone here has tried this particular filter and what your thoughts are. I will primarily be shooting engagements/couples and families with a Profoto AcuteB2 Air pack (head normally has a 3 or 4 foot octa attached). All outdoor stuff, I don't shoot in a studio much. Looking to get the best images possible with beautiful colors, contrast and sharpness. Up to this point, I use NO filter at all or a B+W Xs-Pro Clear Nano basically just for protection. Would like to hear your thoughts if you have used this "UV/IR" filter or even the B+W version in similar situations as I've described. Thanks so much for your time!

Here's the product:
http://www.adorama.com/HP77D.html

Aug 24, 2013 at 05:00 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Thoughts on Heliopan UV/IR Filter...Worth $300?

Nope.

Aug 24, 2013 at 01:30 PM
Poff Photo
• •
p.1 #3 · Thoughts on Heliopan UV/IR Filter...Worth $300?

I bought that filter back in 2009 when I made the switch from film to digital... I wanted the best performance from my beloved old 28-70L... At 77mm, it was only $100 more than a Heliopan UV, so I thought I would give it a try... I always got real accurate colors with it - especially when I was mixing daylight and fill-flash... Still sitting on the front of my lens - but that doesn't see much use since I got the 24-70 II...

Aug 24, 2013 at 02:10 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Thoughts on Heliopan UV/IR Filter...Worth $300?

Not sure it will do anything. 1D X isnt like 1Ds or 1Ds MK2, where additional IR filter was good idea. At least it does seem to do "black blacks" not "magenta blacks".

Tho worth trying maybe.. who knows. Expect bit of light loss tho, if its weak cutfilter about 1/3 eV. Strong would take off a bit more. As it seems quite clear, it wont take much light..

Aug 24, 2013 at 02:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BostonGreg
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Thoughts on Heliopan UV/IR Filter...Worth $300?

Thanks guys for your input!

Poff- Does it not get much use anymore only because the new 24-70 II takes 82mm or just because that lens is so good you don't think you need the IR/UV extra help with colors?

Aug 25, 2013 at 03:05 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Thoughts on Heliopan UV/IR Filter...Worth $300?

Lens itself shouldnt cut out any part of light frequency.. Contrary to that, lens should at least allow to pass through as much and as even amount of each part of light frequency from visible spectrum. Which is something thats not exactly strong point of any Canon lens (or Sigma, thats usually even worse). Tho neither Nikon is perfect.

Its quite a bit of paradox, but one of lens with best color transfer is for example Samyang 85/1.4. Plus most of Leica and some modern day Zeiss are sorta ok. And if Im correct, Sony does ok job too (tho Minolta did much better).

I think that UV/IR cut filter can help, but it depends more on camera and its sensor sandwich than lens (probably cause most lens can do UV/IR pics reasonably well ).

Aug 25, 2013 at 06:03 PM
Poff Photo
• •
p.1 #7 · Thoughts on Heliopan UV/IR Filter...Worth $300?

Greg - Definitely caused me to hesitate when I saw the price in 82mm at $344... In addition, in the years since my move to digital, I had read more than once sensor technology had abated the need for this type of filtration... So when I bought my 5DIII and the 24-70II, I thought I would just go with a Heliopan multi-coated protection filter... Still a $206 investment - but I have not noticed any UV "bluing" or IR "hazing" that the filter was supposed to prevent... I guess you have to buy this one on blind faith in Heliopan's optical engineers - is it worth the extra $140...

Aug 26, 2013 at 06:10 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Thoughts on Heliopan UV/IR Filter...Worth $300?

IR is issue (when its issue) mostly with black color (or what is supposed to be black). Most pronounced it was with infamous Leica M8 issue, but quite a bit of older Canon bodies didnt have strong enough IR filters either.

It can slightly mix with other colors, so in theory these filters should give more "pure" colors. Thats if your lens can transfer them to the sensor.

Aug 27, 2013 at 12:07 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password