New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Quick Question LC-E4/LP-E4 Charger & Battery

omarlyn
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Quick Question LC-E4/LP-E4 Charger & Battery

I'm new to the LP-E4 batteries so I have a quick question: I have two batteries and when I place them in the LC-E4 charger, one of them remains cool (room temp) while the other warms up a little. Neither battery indicates needing calibration and they both seem to hold a good charge. So, do any of your LP-E4's warm-up while charging while others stay cooler?

Omar

Aug 23, 2013 at 09:31 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Quick Question LC-E4/LP-E4 Charger & Battery

I would not expect the temperatures to necessarily be the same. The charge in sequence and some of the heat is transfered from one area of the charger to the pack. When you swap battery positions does one pack behave the same way on either the A or B side?

EBH

Aug 23, 2013 at 09:49 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Quick Question LC-E4/LP-E4 Charger & Battery

EB-1 wrote:
I would not expect the temperatures to necessarily be the same. The charge in sequence and some of the heat is transfered from one area of the charger to the pack. When you swap battery positions does one pack behave the same way on either the A or B side?

EBH

I would have to run the battery down a bit to recharge it again. I should note one other odd behavior of the 'warm' battery...when I initially received it, it was completely discharged (like a deep discharge from sitting for a while). When I gave it it's initial charge, it got much warmer (kinda hot) but it seemed to behave normally it terms of the charge time and performance. On the second charge, it did not get as hot...just a little warm.

Omar

Aug 23, 2013 at 09:56 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Quick Question LC-E4/LP-E4 Charger & Battery

The batteries don't both charge at the same time. One gets charged (the warm one) and then when it's charged, the other one gets charged (the one that's cool at the start).

Aug 24, 2013 at 08:02 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Quick Question LC-E4/LP-E4 Charger & Battery

jcolwell wrote:
The batteries don't both charge at the same time. One gets charged (the warm one) and then when it's charged, the other one gets charged (the one that's cool at the start).

Or one gets warm while charging, then cools a bit while the other is charging, so when they first finish, the second one to charge is warmer.

Aug 24, 2013 at 09:46 AM
wcj0
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Quick Question LC-E4/LP-E4 Charger & Battery

Although I agree with all of the above statements, I had an LPE-4 battery that had discharged get extreamly hot during one of the charging cycles. I turns out the battery must have had an internal short. I threw it away afterwards. Since then when i charge any of my batteries, i try to keep an eye on them and normally during a charge they only get slightly warm to the touch. As a side note when DeWalt first started coming out with their battery opperated 12v portable equipment, i baught a 12v driver drill combo. I had the battery charging in my shop and began noticing a "burning" smell. I went over to the battery and charger just as the battery burst into flames. I took the battery and charger an ripped it out of the wall and threw it out my door into the snow. Upon calling DeWalt, they wanted me to send in the battery and charger and replaced both of them with new units. Consequently, while charging batteries, i make sure i'm around "just in case".

Aug 24, 2013 at 09:56 AM
wcj0
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Quick Question LC-E4/LP-E4 Charger & Battery

Although I agree with all of the above statements, I had an LPE-4 battery that had discharged get extreamly hot during one of the charging cycles. It turns out the battery must have had an internal short. I threw it away afterwards. Since then when i charge any of my batteries, i try to keep an eye on them and normally during a charge they only get slightly warm to the touch. As a side note when DeWalt first started coming out with their battery opperated 12v portable equipment, i baught a 12v driver drill combo. I had the battery charging in my shop and began noticing a "burning" smell. I went over to the battery and charger just as the battery burst into flames. I took the battery and charger an ripped it out of the wall and threw it out my door into the snow. Upon calling DeWalt, they wanted me to send in the battery and charger and replaced both of them with new units. Consequently, while charging batteries, i make sure i'm around "just in case".

Aug 24, 2013 at 09:56 AM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Quick Question LC-E4/LP-E4 Charger & Battery

jcolwell wrote:

Photon wrote:
Or one gets warm while charging, then cools a bit while the other is charging, so when they first finish, the second one to charge is warmer.

^^^No, that's not it.... I know the charger does one battery at a time. It was the battery that charged first that was warmer. I think I'll just run it down again and then give it a 3rd charge and see if it stabilizes.

Omar

Aug 24, 2013 at 09:58 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Quick Question LC-E4/LP-E4 Charger & Battery

OK. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I haven't noticed that with my batteries, which are four LP-E4 and two LP-E4N.

Aug 24, 2013 at 10:02 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.