New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · A visit to the museum

Anurag
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A visit to the museum

I recently started medical school and we were taken to a local art museum to hone our observation skills. It was surprisingly enlightening. While there I took a few random shots and these two seemed to jump out the most.

They were both shot with an NEX 6 with a Zeiss 35/2.8. Wide open. I think at ISO 1600. The original images weren't as grainy but I added a bit. Removing the grain in Lightroom made it look weird. Adding it gave it a more pleasing effect to my eye.

The first one was actually supposed to be a shot of the gentleman looking at the painting but I couldn't focus fast enough as he turned around. I think the end result, while not planned came out reasonably well.

The second was a bit staged. There was a giant 60 foot high art installation of 3 demonic figures atop which cast a peculiar shadow and I guess was labelled as an art work as well.

Any thoughts, suggestions, improvements?

© crappyjones123 2013

© crappyjones123 2013

Aug 23, 2013 at 08:20 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A visit to the museum

The second is more interesting, although I'm not a big fan of digital "grain".

Aug 23, 2013 at 10:49 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A visit to the museum

Your second image reminds me of a still from a horror movie: arresting, dramatic, and surreal. Also not fond of the grain. Instead of grain, you might want to play with a stark black and white "film noir" look. Your internet name is no reflection on your photography.

Aug 24, 2013 at 10:51 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A visit to the museum

I kinda of like the grain in the second one ... but it captivates me for it's own at studying the grain pattern, not so much because of how it helps the image. The warm toning seems incongruous to the mood/subject. I guess the warm grain reminds me of sand in a sublime way.

Curious @ the "film noir" prospect and would likely lose the grain in #2.

In #1, maybe pull the grain to about 1/2 what it is now.

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:44 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A visit to the museum

eeneryma wrote:
Your second image reminds me of a still from a horror movie: arresting, dramatic, and surreal. Also not fond of the grain. Instead of grain, you might want to play with a stark black and white "film noir" look. Your internet name is no reflection on your photography.

I am not a fan of "grainy images". In the film days we fought to keep this out, now it is a recurring theme in some photographers work ( not necessarily yours). Sorry, too much grain, straight BW would work better. My time is up. They want me back at the funny farm. Jim

Aug 25, 2013 at 08:21 AM
Anurag
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A visit to the museum

Thank you gents. I didn't particularly like the grain either. But for some reason thought it was the "cool/professional" way to process those shots. I'll stick to my instincts next time. Usually they are wrong but in this instance I guess I was right.

Reuploaded with grain set to 0 and some sharpening pulled back. All the grain visible now is noise from the sensor. Increasing the luminance didn't really help out so I left it as 0 as well. Second one converted to straight black and white.

Aug 25, 2013 at 09:41 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A visit to the museum

I'll be a contrarion - I prefer the first image - with or without grain.

But then at this point I'm lustful for a digital RF and the spontaniety of #1 is appealing.

Hopefully this weaker moment of gear-lust shall pass, without costing me $.

Regards,

Bob

Aug 25, 2013 at 10:28 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.