Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Workers comp for temp photo assistants?

JIMCOX

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Workers comp for temp photo assistants?

Can anyone help me out? I have hired photo assistants for years, on a day by day basis when needed. But now for the first time I have a client who requires me to provide proof of workers comp for the assistant.

I am based in California, but my hiring of assistants mainly is in NY. I have a job on August 29th that I need this insurance for. I have been consulting with my commercial insurance agent in CA about this, and he has not been able to help me. The problem is that I have no employees. I only use the occasional temporary assistant. And my agent can't seem to find me a policy for this.

What do other pro photographers do about workers comp when they hire an assistant.

I'm in a bind here... please help!

Thanks!

Jim

Aug 23, 2013 at 06:03 PM
ronfronberg
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Workers comp for temp photo assistants?

Might look into using a temporary agency. Usually they handle all the paperwork, workers compensation, etc.

ron

Aug 24, 2013 at 05:08 PM
JIMCOX

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Workers comp for temp photo assistants?

Thanks Ron. For another time that could work. But now I have booked my usual NYC assistant. And he works independently, not through a temp agency. Besides, do temp agencies have photo assistants? Maybe if they do, I might see if I could book him thru one...

Thanks!
Jim

Aug 24, 2013 at 05:19 PM
hdavid
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Workers comp for temp photo assistants?

If your assistant works independently, as a contractor - they should carry proof of workers comp themselves. He invoices you correct? If not - he would be your employee, and you carry the comp. Here - it is relatively straight forward for businesses - no matter number of employees. Get an account, and estimate the number of staff and wages. Keep a close eye on these as you progress during the year, top up if needed, adjust at end of year.

Hope all goes well.

Aug 25, 2013 at 11:29 PM
JIMCOX

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Workers comp for temp photo assistants?

Hi hdavid,

Thanks for your reply. I have had him give invoices before for certain clients who required it. But he doesn't have his own workers comp. And this client will not cover him, regardless of whether or not he gives an invoice. They just consider him my employee.

I have discovered another potential remedy... as least temporarily. To set up an account with a payroll service. Found ABS Payroll Services online, and had a chat with someone there. Will be discussing further today. If I have this service then the assistant becomes technically an employee of the payroll service. But it entails quite a number of fees. The big advantage, besides getting him the workers comp coverage, is that it also makes my hiring of him, totally legal... meaning the paying of social security and medicare, etc. Of course since my agreement with him entails a certain fixed fee, then I will end up paying all those extras.

But since this big job is a few days away, I need a solution fast. This will allow me to have a solution in place in time, then I will have my insurance agent in CA apply for insurance from the CA state fund, which he says takes a while.

Thanks!

Aug 26, 2013 at 08:10 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.