New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Need confirmation before ordering Pocketwizards

BenV
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need confirmation before ordering Pocketwizards

I recently really started getting into lighting, I found out it exponentially increases the quality of my photos. Any who, here's my question. I have 2 Nikon flashes (SB-700). to get both of them to fire remotely (without one being on a camera) I'd need 2 Pocketwizard Flex TT5 (one for each flash), a Pocketwizard Mini (for the camera) and AC3 to go on top of the mini for ease of use. Is this correct? Or would I need 2 minis and 1 flex?

Aug 22, 2013 at 03:21 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need confirmation before ordering Pocketwizards

You could use three FlexTT5s, or two Flexes and one MiniTT1.

The Flexes are transceivers (transmitter or receiver, as needed), but the Mini is only a transmitter.

Aug 22, 2013 at 03:29 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need confirmation before ordering Pocketwizards

BrianO wrote:
You could use three FlexTT5s, or two Flexes and one MiniTT1.

The Flexes are transceivers (transmitter or receiver, as needed), but the Mini is only a transmitter.

perfect, thank you.

Aug 22, 2013 at 03:29 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need confirmation before ordering Pocketwizards

Definitely skip the mini. The battery doesn't last long and is non-rechargable. If you leave it on by accident you also can't switch out batteries from something else. I sold mine for a flex and it is much better being able to run everything off lithium AAs and it has better range.

Aug 22, 2013 at 04:22 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need confirmation before ordering Pocketwizards

Ah ok, the Flex is only $20 more. The main thing I like about the system is the AC3 controller. DO any other companies make anything comparable? I've just always heard the pocketwizard name, and figured I've give them a try first.

Aug 22, 2013 at 05:10 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need confirmation before ordering Pocketwizards

Yongnuo

Aug 22, 2013 at 05:14 PM
Roland W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need confirmation before ordering Pocketwizards

I will chime in with being in favor of the Mini for on your camera. The batteries actually last quite a while unless you forget to turn the power switch off at the end of the shoot. And it is very easy to just have a spare battery on hand with you, like you should for all gear you use. I much prefer the nice small package of the Mini that leaves your camera feeling normal, and not top heavy. Obviously the Flex will work fine too, but choose what you want to have, and do not worry about the battery.

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:02 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need confirmation before ordering Pocketwizards

BenV wrote:
...The main thing I like about the system is the AC3 controller. DO any other companies make anything comparable?

I really like the Yongnuo YN-622C, which allows ETTL autoflash or manual flash, all controlled from the flash control menu of newer Canon cameras.

There is a model for Nikons, the YN-622N, but I don't know how well it works; my impression is that Nikon cameras don't have flash control menus, so I don't know how one adjusts power levels with the 622N.

(And if I'm wrong about Nikon bodies, someone please correct me.)

Before the YN-622C was released I had been looking at the Phottix Odin; you might want to check that out as well. Everything is controlled from the camera-mounted Odin transmitter.

http://www.phottix.com/en/phottix-odin-ttl-flash-trigger-for-nikon.html

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:28 PM
basehorhonda
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need confirmation before ordering Pocketwizards

I just added a mini, couple of flex's and the ac3 to my collection last fall and I love it. I wanted something that I could control the power from the camera, and I also wanted something that would work on both speedlights and studio strobes. I have SB 900s and Einsteins. Along with picking up the MC2 for the Einstein, everything has worked great and I love it.

I really prefer the Mini on top of my camera when I am shooting portraits. The Flex is just too big for my taste sitting on top of the camera. Also I recently picked up the new 10 pin cable that will allow you to run the mini off of the camera battery power. I am that guy that always is leaving my triggers turned on, and while I always do have extra batteries in my bag, the cable is great. The only time that I dont use the mini as a trigger is when I am shooting sports in a big gym. Really the only thing that I have found that works great still is a old Plus 2. The antenna on the flex didnt seem to really help over the mini.

Aug 23, 2013 at 08:35 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need confirmation before ordering Pocketwizards

Thanks for all the help everyone. I decided to give the Phottin Odin's a try. I haven't seen one bad review and the price is about $300 cheaper than the Pocketwizard setup. Really looking forward to playing with my new toys and exploring some more creative lighting options!

Aug 23, 2013 at 08:57 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need confirmation before ordering Pocketwizards

I was going to chim in and give my positive advice about going with PW ControlTL system but see that you went with the Odins.

I would say today's advancements have given us a lot of options and I'm sure you'll be fine with what you went with. The biggest issue is actually *user* errors or how some flashes and/or cameras may not be as compatible as others on any given system. Personally, I had had huge problems with PW when they first came out. I even sold them. A year later things got MUCH better and I repurchased. They have been a dream ever since. Some people are still holding on to how problematic ControlTL system was and put them down. The system is WONDERFUL with a lot of options.

Edited on Aug 23, 2013 at 10:22 AM · View previous versions

Aug 23, 2013 at 10:15 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Need confirmation before ordering Pocketwizards

cordellwillis wrote:
I was going to chim in and give my positive advice about going with PW ControlTL system but see that you went with the Odins. I would say today's advancements have given us a lot of options and I'm sure you'll be fine with what you went with. The biggest issue is actually *user* errors or how some flashes and/or cameras may not be as compatible as others on any given system.

I still believe some day I'll end up with the pocketwizards, I really like the idea of having 3 extra dials to control the flash units exposure vs. a few extra steps of menu settings. So much easier with physical dials. However, for the time being saving $300 means I can buy my Nikon 60 f/2.8 macro as well. And for a non-professional, I welcome more toys to play with

Aug 23, 2013 at 10:18 AM
basehorhonda
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Need confirmation before ordering Pocketwizards

I almost went radio popper, but I never saw where they had anything that I could trigger and control an Einstein strobe. Had I saw something, I would have gone with them.

Aug 23, 2013 at 10:25 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Need confirmation before ordering Pocketwizards

cordellwillis wrote:
I was going to chim in and give my positive advice about going with PW ControlTL system but see that you went with the Odins.

I would say today's advancements have given us a lot of options and I'm sure you'll be fine with what you went with. The biggest issue is actually *user* errors or how some flashes and/or cameras may not be as compatible as others on any given system. Personally, I had had huge problems with PW when they first came out. I even sold them. A year later things got MUCH better and I repurchased. They have
...Show more

The system has stacks of different options and needs to be 'powered' up in order each time. I agree and think a lot of complaints are because of user error.

Aug 24, 2013 at 11:06 AM
kirbinster
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Need confirmation before ordering Pocketwizards

The YN-622N will do what you want and are a great option. I just ordered a set of four transceivers for $151 direct from the mfg web store on eBay.

Aug 26, 2013 at 05:06 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Need confirmation before ordering Pocketwizards

Got the Odin's in the other day, they don't feel as solid as I was expecting, but so far they work great. That's from my extensive 30 minutes of testing (sarcasm). I'm happy with my purchase so far.

Aug 27, 2013 at 08:02 AM
hvu2012
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Need confirmation before ordering Pocketwizards

I have the same set up but with Canon. (1) miniTT1, (2) FlexTT5, and AC3.

AC3 is wonderful piece of equipment that i don't have to run to flash and change power anymore.

As other suggested, you can replace miniTT1 by FlexTT5.

Sep 09, 2013 at 12:14 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.