Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

sequence of groom reacting to seeing bride

friscoron
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · sequence of groom reacting to seeing bride

I was single-shooting this wedding and was standing near the Maurice getting a long shot of Laura as she entered the church when I heard this huffing behind me. I realized it was Maurice reacting to Laura, hyperventilating, and so I shot this sequence of shots while also turning and getting Laura coming up the aisle. It was one of the coolest emotional reactions I've seen so far.

1. She's all the way at the end of the church but he's caught a glimpse of her.

2. It takes his breath away.

3. Trying to maintain composure.

4. Another deep breath.

5. And now they share their first look.

Aug 22, 2013 at 01:44 PM
richdavid
• •
p.1 #2 · sequence of groom reacting to seeing bride

Wonderful! Thank you for posting these!

Rich

Aug 22, 2013 at 01:51 PM
deinfaces
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · sequence of groom reacting to seeing bride

Love it! I almost tear up looking at these. Really like #2 - the guy in white.

Aug 22, 2013 at 02:29 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · sequence of groom reacting to seeing bride

I really like this Ron! His reaction is priceless. I think the first one is strongest.

While I do think this 'single subject' is strong enough to stand on its own, I wonder if more could have been made of the scene by introducing/including other elements (ie, a mother/father/sibling/grandmother). You sort of did that with number one which is why I think its the strongest of the bunch. Also, other elements of composition (ie, framing, leading lines, patterns, etc) might have made this an over the top photo.

Good stuff man! I see this series being passed down for generations. The stuff I'm talking about most likely only applies to photographers!

Aug 22, 2013 at 02:42 PM
24Peter
• • •
p.1 #5 · sequence of groom reacting to seeing bride

Just curious: do people check with their subjects/clients before posting images like this on-line? This is a very personal moment and I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with my images being available on a public website. I'm sure the OP got permission but was just curious how others handle this...

Aug 22, 2013 at 03:10 PM
bbourizk
• • •
p.1 #6 · sequence of groom reacting to seeing bride

These are lovely Ron. Any photos of the bride? what was her reaction? could see what Maurice was doing?.

Bud

Aug 22, 2013 at 03:19 PM
Bartlett Pair
• •
p.1 #7 · sequence of groom reacting to seeing bride

24Peter wrote:
Just curious: do people check with their subjects/clients before posting images like this on-line? This is a very personal moment and I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with my images being available on a public website. I'm sure the OP got permission but was just curious how others handle this...

IMHO I feel that even though this is an intimate moment, I don't think the OP needs to get specific permission to share these on their blog/Facebook/FM. The most obvious time that I think sharing is inappropriate is if it's too revealing (i.e. getting into dress or something along those lines) or if the client specifically advises not to post something.

Also, I agree with Chuck that the first pic is the strongest. Very nice!

Aug 22, 2013 at 03:37 PM
01Ryan10
• •
p.1 #8 · sequence of groom reacting to seeing bride

He's realizing the ball and chain are coming on and he's no longer going to be single.

lol...jk

Aug 22, 2013 at 05:32 PM
jackhopkins
• •
p.1 #9 · sequence of groom reacting to seeing bride

It instantly brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing.

Aug 22, 2013 at 05:48 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.1 #10 · sequence of groom reacting to seeing bride

That's fantastic... I obviously don't know the couple but if he's reacted like that they have a lifetime of happiness ahead.

Aug 22, 2013 at 06:16 PM

RolfJ
• •
p.1 #11 · sequence of groom reacting to seeing bride

Absolutely wonderful set! It doesn't get any better and congrats on pulling it off.

Aug 22, 2013 at 06:23 PM
Josh Evilsizor
• • • •
p.1 #12 · sequence of groom reacting to seeing bride

24Peter wrote:

that's usually covered in the contract.

Aug 23, 2013 at 03:08 AM
Josh Evilsizor
• • • •
p.1 #13 · sequence of groom reacting to seeing bride

Ron... This is a great moment for sure. From a purely photographic standpoint though I feel it lacks some of the "punch" that makes it not only a great moment, but a great photograph...

Aug 23, 2013 at 03:11 AM
friscoron
• • • •
p.1 #14 · sequence of groom reacting to seeing bride

24Peter wrote:

It's true that not everyone is comfortable with these private moments being shared online, but in all my years of shooting weddings, I've yet to have one of my couples request to not have them shared. If they made that request, I would happily oblige. It is covered in my contract, and I do make sure I have their consent.

Aug 23, 2013 at 04:07 AM
friscoron
• • • •
p.1 #15 · sequence of groom reacting to seeing bride

deinfaces wrote:
Love it! I almost tear up looking at these. Really like #2 - the guy in white.

Thanks, Bob! I'm going to work harder so next time you fully tear up!

The initial reactions of those around him are part of what made this so cool to me.

Aug 23, 2013 at 04:09 AM
friscoron
• • • •
p.1 #16 · sequence of groom reacting to seeing bride

canerino wrote:
I really like this Ron! His reaction is priceless. I think the first one is strongest.

While I do think this 'single subject' is strong enough to stand on its own, I wonder if more could have been made of the scene by introducing/including other elements (ie, a mother/father/sibling/grandmother). You sort of did that with number one which is why I think its the strongest of the bunch. Also, other elements of composition (ie, framing, leading lines, patterns, etc) might have made this an over the top photo.

Good stuff man! I see this series being passed down for generations.
...Show more

Thanks, Chuck. I agree with you and Bud that the first one is the strongest. You really get a sense of the others reacting to him. What you can't see in the pictures is how audibly he was gasping.

Sometimes, the other elements aren't able to match the intensity of the emotions of your subject, but beyond that, for me, this was purely a 5-shot sequence of a man reacting with so much love to the sight of his bride coming down the aisle. To include a picture of the bride, lovely as she is, would immediately invite judgment as to whether her physical appearance was worthy of her groom's reaction. That I intentionally kept her out keeps focus exactly on what I want it to be, which is the groom's reaction.

While others may be focused on the composition, leading lines, patterns, etc, my main focus in shooting the wedding ceremony is simply capturing emotions. I strive to bring in those other elements when I shoot their portraits.

Thanks for your comments and kind words!

Ron

Aug 23, 2013 at 04:16 AM
friscoron
• • • •
p.1 #17 · sequence of groom reacting to seeing bride

Josh Evilsizor wrote:
Ron... This is a great moment for sure. From a purely photographic standpoint though I feel it lacks some of the "punch" that makes it not only a great moment, but a great photograph...

Thanks, Josh. Great moments/photographs don't always carry over to all of us. I often am really moved by some element of a photograph that others may not even notice--or maybe they did notice it, and didn't like it one bit.

I looked at this year's PDN's "The Faces" contest award winners, and I shook my head at some of the stuff that won. I didn't even get it. I see better stuff every day right here in our forum from all of us. But that's me. And that's the crazy thing about the subjective value of photography.

I can say that I'm constantly chasing the "punch" you refer to (although we may all define it differently) in my portrait sessions, but when I'm documenting the wedding ceremony, I'm just trying to capture emotion -- and this sequence is one that I personally really enjoyed. When I shoot dance, the main thing I'm going after is form (in good light and focus).

Aug 23, 2013 at 04:25 AM
friscoron
• • • •
p.1 #18 · sequence of groom reacting to seeing bride

@richdavid, thanks!

@bud, I think I answered your questions with my response to Chuck. I made editorial decisions sticking with the groom here. I think Laura was really focused on holding herself together while coming down the aisle, though I have a pretty cool shot of her with her brother, who walked her down the aisle.

@Bartlett Pair. You've got it. Thanks!

@jackhopkins, thanks! That's really nice, thanks for saying that.

@Bones74, thanks! I had that thought constantly throughout the day.

@RolfJ, thanks so much! I really appreciate it!

Aug 23, 2013 at 04:30 AM
KamV

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · sequence of groom reacting to seeing bride

Great capture!

Aug 23, 2013 at 04:33 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · sequence of groom reacting to seeing bride

Wonderful moments to capture. I'm enjoying the expressions of all three gents in the series. Just look where "middle guy" is looking in #1 and #3 for example.

Aug 23, 2013 at 05:58 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password