Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · New wedding after a crisis of confidence

Ian Boys
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New wedding after a crisis of confidence

Hi all,

I shot a wedding last year that didn't go very well for a number of reasons. Some were doubtless down to me, others down to the venue and weather etc. Anyway, took me 8 months to shoot another and I'm feeling much better about these but would like an independent view. This isn't the whole set but a representative selection:

example of the formals ...

Aug 22, 2013 at 05:30 AM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New wedding after a crisis of confidence

Just watch your backgrounds. That's about the only necessary advice I can think of. If it was one of those things where people just grouped together and said "hey, take our picture." Just try providing a bit of direction like "Sure, but lets do it over there." It's rare that people put up a fuss about it. And if they do so be it. It looks like space was tight during the ceremony.

Aug 22, 2013 at 08:09 AM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New wedding after a crisis of confidence

Glad you're back on your feet, mate. Looks like a good day.

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:06 AM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New wedding after a crisis of confidence

Looks fine, looks like you played it fairly safe with some solid traditional shots to get you back on your feet. That is a good thing and hopefully will empower you to keep raising your game as you go along.

Aug 22, 2013 at 11:27 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New wedding after a crisis of confidence

Do you always shoot with a high f-stop? Most of those were f/8 or higher.

I'd venture to guess you were trying to keep your SS at 1/250 so it could sync with the flash?

Aug 23, 2013 at 05:52 AM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New wedding after a crisis of confidence

Thanks for all the feedback!

Swoop - the ceremony background bothered me but I was a bit limited there. I don't mind the others really so I'd be interested as to which you feel should change?

Ian - thanks, it was a very enjoyable day with lovely people and unusually good weather for northern England. We were lucky.

Steve - that's my worry really, that they are just standard safe shots and I'm concerned that it's possibly the only approach I have. I think to some degree it's an English thing, that people here don't like anything that may be construed as showing off. But I do wonder what else I can bring.

Zach - actually no, most of the time it's so dark here that I'm at f4. But the outdoor shots were high f-stop because of the bright sun and the flash party ones were zone focussed at f11 generally to ensure a focus hit. Generally for those shots I'm not looking through.

Aug 23, 2013 at 01:48 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New wedding after a crisis of confidence

Without looking at your site it should be safe to say that you will get clients based on the work you show. If you do want different minded clients you will have to show them that unique quality that you want to bring.

If you are not happy with where you are at, then just make sure to push yourself to do something new and interesting for yourself and your "new" portfolio at every wedding. Otherwise you will just get in a rut.

After you get the safe shots there is nothing to lose by trying to find your own unique style.

Just my 2 cents.

Aug 24, 2013 at 05:32 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.