Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Trading dental work for photographing artwork?

pjny
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Trading dental work for photographing artwork?

Hi,

My dentist offered a deal in an upcoming redo of a post and a crown. I imagine with his rates it will be anywhere from $1000-2000. He mentioned we can work out a discount if I shot some artwork(mainly paintings) that he wanted to photograph before he wrapped and put them in storage. He basically needs the photos for cataloging his artwork in his computer..

I'm not sure how many pieces he has but I imaging it can't be more than 20.

I will be going in tomorrow and am just wondering what kind of deal I should try to get or any negotiation tactics?

Just looking for any suggestions to minimize the dental cost.

Thanks.

Aug 22, 2013 at 06:24 AM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Trading dental work for photographing artwork?

Do you do copy work or reproduction work regularly?

I regularly photograph art/paintings with medium format digital and print for artists. I would do it for a straight-trade.

ken

Aug 22, 2013 at 11:09 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Trading dental work for photographing artwork?

+1 @ diggin' the barter.

No taxes involved. No insurance deductibles to meet. I'd likely go straight trade too ... recognizing that you have to earn $1,500 to spend $1,000 (concept), the value of his $1,000 - $2,000 is more like $1,500 - $3,000 to you (i.e. it ain't what you make, it's what you keep).

Aug 22, 2013 at 01:42 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Trading dental work for photographing artwork?

Why not. I just did $5000.00 trade. 20 would seem like about the right amount to be even. Most of his cost is labor. At least trade the labor being 90% of the cost.

Aug 22, 2013 at 03:50 PM
capt don
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Trading dental work for photographing artwork?

I traded an office shoot for some oral surgury and I think I got the better deal but we were both very happy

Aug 23, 2013 at 06:49 PM
Jglaser757
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Trading dental work for photographing artwork?

jefferies1 wrote:
Why not. I just did $5000.00 trade. 20 would seem like about the right amount to be even. Most of his cost is labor. At least trade the labor being 90% of the cost.

ACTUALLY, there are a lot more costs than labor,,depending upon the lab,,it could cost him anywhere between 200 and 800 for the lab to make the crown,,then there are his dental supplies,,the labor to pay the staff, the cost for rent, electricity ,water etc...so you might think its just his labor,,BUTT, there is far more involved..

Yes, im a dentist,,well a retired recently dentist. Personally,you will always get the better end of the deal than the dentist.And lets not forget the liability. what every he has,,just nod your head and agree.

just my humble experienced .02.

and Yes I did trade my dentistry a few times, before I realized it was always a bad move for me.

Edited on Sep 01, 2013 at 07:52 PM · View previous versions

Sep 01, 2013 at 12:59 AM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Trading dental work for photographing artwork?

...and so too does the professional photographer have overhead costs. (studio, equipment, electricity, and liability insurance too---you don't think I wince anytime an artist leaves their originals at my studio for an inordinate amount of time after the've been photographed?).

Some trades are worthwhile, some are not. If the value to both parties is comparable, and most likely a higher cost that both parties would otherwise incur obtaining those services/products on the open market, a trade for services can make sense and be attractive to both parties.

Ken

Sep 01, 2013 at 02:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jglaser757
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Trading dental work for photographing artwork?

kdphotography wrote:
...and so too does the professional photographer have overhead costs. (studio, equipment, electricity, and liability insurance too---you don't think I wince anytime an artist leaves their originals at my studio for an inordinate amount of time after the've been photographed?).

Some trades are worthwhile, some are not. If the value to both parties is comparable, and most likely a higher cost that both parties would otherwise incur obtaining those services/products on the open market, a trade for services can make sense and be attractive to both parties.

Ken

All good points about overhead costs for photographer...I didnt take that into account. However, the overhead costs for an office are quite a bit higher..For a dental office, the low end would be about 40,000 a month, on the high end it could 80,000 a month. Or even higher if he is a really busy dentist..

Sep 01, 2013 at 07:55 PM
tived
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Trading dental work for photographing artwork?

come up with something that u are both happy with, just like you his cost isn't as high as you might think.

If you don't normally do this kind of work and think you can just wing it, then you might be in for a surprise - if it has to be reproduced! in particular on large paintings and paintings with textures and glossy surfaces.

Don't sell yourself too cheap!

He knows what his cost is, you need to work out what yours will be - e.g. lost opportunity cost!

Good luck, hope you work it out

Henrik

Oct 24, 2013 at 03:39 AM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Trading dental work for photographing artwork?

Jglaser757 wrote:
ACTUALLY, there are a lot more costs than labor,,depending upon the lab,,it could cost him

Looks like your comma key is sticking.

Oct 25, 2013 at 07:27 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Trading dental work for photographing artwork?

I once traded dental work for some computer work. He wanted a new payroll system and all I had to do was install it and customize it with his employee information and show him how to use it. He even paid for the boxed software. When one of his employees take home pay was different due to the accounting firm using the wrong withholding, he asked how much of a raise he needed to give her so she would have the same take home pay. He knew very well that I was getting the better end of the deal. Some people are just really nice and it was truly appreciated.

Oct 30, 2013 at 02:28 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Trading dental work for photographing artwork?

I once traded dental work for some computer work. He wanted a new payroll system and all I had to do was install it and customize it with his employee information and show him how to use it. He even paid for the boxed software. When one of his employees take home pay was different due to the accounting firm using the wrong withholding, he asked how much of a raise he needed to give her so she would have the same take home pay. He knew very well that I was getting the better end of the deal. Some people are just really nice and it was truly appreciated.

Oct 30, 2013 at 02:28 PM
Game Changer
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Trading dental work for photographing artwork?

I have countered with barters when I am asked to provide images and I am told they cannot pay me or say they are willing to give me useless "photo credits". I make sure I really need/want the goods/services and that I am getting a 2:1 return ratio. The contract is pretty straightforward and I have actually turned barter clients into cash paying customers.

YMMV

Nov 12, 2013 at 07:29 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password