Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · What is this FD lens worth?

clay23
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What is this FD lens worth?

I picked up this MINT 28mm F/2.8 FD lens at a tag sale a few weeks ago. Original box, paperwork, case, the whole deal. It appears that it has never been used. The lens is still in the plastic inside the case. Any idea what its worth? Has to be worth at least $50, no?

Aug 21, 2013 at 11:58 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What is this FD lens worth?

Check eBay. There are lots of them for sale.

Aug 22, 2013 at 12:29 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What is this FD lens worth?

"The lens is still in the plastic inside the case. Any idea what its worth? Has to be worth at least $50, no? "

Well I have no idea about if its a good performer or not , but its a 2.8 28mm prime which can't mount to an EOS body without an adapter that either removes infinity focus (glassless) or degrades the IQ and increases the focal length a bit . Its really not going to be worth going down the mount conversion route if that even possible.
So that means you have to have another system for it to go on . FD lenses have gone from almost null value to fetching quite a bit due to the advent of the mirrorless systems (ie m4/3 , NEX , EOS m ) .
So it may still have a life to live

But is worth even 50bucks , I don't know but I will say its not to me

Aug 22, 2013 at 12:37 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What is this FD lens worth?

Quick stroll through eBay shows that these have sold (not just listed) at as low as $17/$18 in the last week or two-- and there are plenty copies available. Some enterprising souls have gotten more like $30/$40.

Figure in fees, shipping, paypa, and I'd say $15 to $25.

The issue is that, aside from being FD (meaning nobody shooting Canon EF/EF-s will want it), the focal length and aperture are easily covered by today's mirrorless lenses in prime/zoom form. It's not particularly wide, and it's not particularly fast.

And it's probably not as good as the Olympus OM 28mm lenses, the slower of which (f/3.5) are cheap and perform admirably even on EF-mount Canon FF cameras.

I don't think getting $50 is impossible, but if you really want that, be prepared to let it sit on eBay BIN for weeks or months, and consider selling to a country that uses euros or pounds!

Aug 22, 2013 at 01:25 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What is this FD lens worth?

You can get your money's worth outta dat thang if you pick up ah T90 or A1 and go retro ape shooting Tri-X Pan.

Aug 22, 2013 at 02:40 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What is this FD lens worth?

clay23 wrote:
I picked up this MINT 28mm F/2.8 FD lens at a tag sale a few weeks ago. Original box, paperwork, case, the whole deal. It appears that it has never been used. The lens is still in the plastic inside the case. Any idea what its worth? Has to be worth at least $50, no?

No, they are tough sales. They can't mount on EOS even with adapters unless you use an optical adapter which really hits IQ. It's an old design too. Maybe $35 if you try hard and let it sit there for weeks and weeks. Allow foreign bidders.

Aug 22, 2013 at 02:49 AM
John Mills
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What is this FD lens worth?

The FD 28mm was not a very good lens in the FD line-up so I do not think you will get too much for it, if it was the 24mm then you would get quite a bit more.

Aug 22, 2013 at 03:40 AM
jrhoffman75
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What is this FD lens worth?

If it is LN Keh will give you $41.

http://www.keh.com/SellYourGear/sellyourgear_3.aspx

Aug 22, 2013 at 12:43 PM
azngigolo64
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What is this FD lens worth?

I used a FD 28mm 2.8 on my Lumix G3. I remembered the IQ was kinda meh. Check out mu43.com People buy FD lenses there to use on mirrorless bodies.

Aug 22, 2013 at 12:54 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What is this FD lens worth?

jrhoffman75 wrote:
If it is LN Keh will give you $41.

http://www.keh.com/SellYourGear/sellyourgear_3.aspx

Wow I'm stunned they offer so much for it. Usually stores only offer a fraction of what you can get on ebay and CL, not as much or more.
Maybe it implies that if you hit up the right mirrorless for sale forum you can get that crowd to spend a lot.

Aug 22, 2013 at 02:27 PM
carlsbadbum
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What is this FD lens worth?

I sold this exact lens back in 1978 for $110, then I use the money to buy a year old AE-1 body for $175. It may not seem alot of money now but back then min. wage was $2.85/hr. during the Carter years. Today I wouldn't by it for 10 dollars because I sold all my film gear while they still worth something.

Aug 22, 2013 at 02:35 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What is this FD lens worth?

Don't touch it. Don't play with it. Don't even breathe on it!
As New-in-the-Box, It may have some collectable value...
Try tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/CanonFD/ and see what they think.

If not, it will go great on most any mirrorless 4/3 cameras you might buy.
I've got a few of these lenses that I still shoot on rare occasions (T-90 RULEZ!). While the lens won't impress the L snobs or peepers, it's not a dog either. It's well built and will do the job just fine. Stop worrying and go shoot!

Aug 22, 2013 at 09:15 PM
clay23
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What is this FD lens worth?

Thanks for all of the replies guys! I'm not very knowledgeable on mirrorless setups, will this lens mount on them or would you still need an adapter?

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:22 AM
PhotoMaximum
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What is this FD lens worth?

You will need an adapter for mirrorless.

I would hang onto it and see what new cameras come down the pike.

Over in the Alt forum you will find long threads on adapting older FD lenses to the EOS mount. But sadly your lens is not one of the highly regarded "rock stars" so I would not bother with attempting the major surgery and machining required.

Avoid any sort of adapter gizmo that includes an optical element (needed to achieve infinity focus) as they seriously degrade image quality...

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What is this FD lens worth?

28mm 2.8's were cheap lenses then and even more so now, specially in extinct mounts.
There are very few 28's that are worth good $ and only one I can think of that is not made in germany, The Nikon 28mm f1.4 AF-D.

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What is this FD lens worth?

clay23 wrote:
Thanks for all of the replies guys! I'm not very knowledgeable on mirrorless setups, will this lens mount on them or would you still need an adapter?

Yes a form of adapter will be needed .

To give you some info :

FD has a shorter register distance than EF which is the reason any adapter from FD to EF either has glass in it so it acts as a short TC but keeps infinity focus or is a short extension tube and thus looses infinity focus ( even if you could not have an adapter which you can't as the mounts are different you will still loose infinity )

Now just about all the mirrorless system have a shorter register distance than FD . (Basicly without the mirror box in the way they could design the register as short as possible . ) so you have an adapter that allows you to mount FD onto the other mount (they will be diffent) and also takes you to the FD's proper register distance .
You will of course be dealing with a smaller sensor as as of yet there is no FF mirrorless . Crop factors are 1.5x (Sony NEX) 1.6x (EOS M) or 2x (micro 4/3rds)

All that said as pointed out the lens is not one of the good old guys that are well sort after so you would have to ask yourself would it really be worth it? An average fully manual prime doesnt have that much going for it on any system

Aug 23, 2013 at 12:44 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.