New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Homeless Man by the River

Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Homeless Man by the River

Went out to scout a new skyline location and found this man just sitting on the bank. Asked if I could take his picture and he happily obliged. If this is better suited to the City/Street forum, I'll move it. Thanks:

http://www.jordansteele.com/2013/homeless_river_L.jpg

Aug 21, 2013 at 04:57 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Homeless Man by the River

I like this. You captured his humanity.

Aug 21, 2013 at 05:51 PM
Tom In Arizona
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Homeless Man by the River

Hi Jman13…

This portrait stopped me cold.

I've seen dozens of photographs of those less fortunate, but this one is very special for me. The gentleman doesn't appear to be too old given his blond/brown hair color, but his face and hand reveal years of wear beyond his chronological age.

However, there's something still youthful in his appearance. Something that says I used to be a school boy, a teenager and a young man with dreams and aspirations. Then, something caused his life to run off the rails.

"Could that have been me," I'm tempted to ask.

I know the answer.

Tom

Aug 21, 2013 at 06:24 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Homeless Man by the River

Thanks, Tom...you're very kind.

I was drawn to him for a few reasons. See, I'm not really a street shooter, but I've wanted to start trying for some of these shots. I had seen this location on the map as a possible good long lens skyline location and went to check it out. He was sitting there alone, minding his own business. When I first passed him, he said nothing. I finished my scouting and passed him again, and nodded to him. Again he said nothing. I got in my car and left, and went to one of my usual haunts for a few quick shots. That whole time, I kept thinking I should have taken his picture. So, I got back in my car, drove back and asked him if I could take his picture. He seemed quite pleased by the idea, and I told him he had a great face...which he really appreciated. He never asked me for anything, but I could tell by the way his teeth were black and worn down to nubs that he hadn't seen a real home in quite some time.

I asked him if he was alright, and if he needed anything. He said, maybe a dollar. I gave him 5...he showed genuine thanks and I was so glad I had gone back to capture a slice of this man's life. He seemed very kind, and simply resigned to his life. I don't know if he made major mistakes that led him there, or if he just had bad luck and little opportunity.

Aug 21, 2013 at 06:52 PM
RolfJ
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Homeless Man by the River

I really like this. Far too often the default for portraits like this seem to be black & white. The color brings something to this and encourages the viewer to be a little more inquisitive and empathetic if that makes any sense. Nice job.

Aug 22, 2013 at 05:44 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Homeless Man by the River

Thanks. I thought about doing it in B&W, but it was too stark, and he seemed very nice, and that came out a little more in the color, though I did mute the colors a bit.

Aug 22, 2013 at 12:42 PM
shane8168
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Homeless Man by the River

I love the hand in this photo! Nicely done!

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:40 PM
shane8168
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Homeless Man by the River

I'd like to see it in B&W!

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:41 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Homeless Man by the River

Excellent composition in this one. From the detail of the hand to the well balanced background. Well done.

Aug 26, 2013 at 12:48 AM
xerofun

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Homeless Man by the River

I completely agree Tom. This is exactly the set of thoughts that went through my mind. Fantastic capture and great story about coming across it. Very touching

Tom In Arizona wrote:
Hi Jman13…

This portrait stopped me cold.

I've seen dozens of photographs of those less fortunate, but this one is very special for me. The gentleman doesn't appear to be too old given his blond/brown hair color, but his face and hand reveal years of wear beyond his chronological age.

However, there's something still youthful in his appearance. Something that says I used to be a school boy, a teenager and a young man with dreams and aspirations. Then, something caused his life to run off the rails.

"Could that have been me," I'm tempted to ask.

I know the answer.

Tom

Aug 26, 2013 at 04:05 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Homeless Man by the River

Sometimes people don't fit in to society and this way of life seems preferred by them though in our hearts we want to reach out to help but it may not actually be help we offer in their eyes........................

It's has been a long time since a portrait has stopped and captivated me like this one Jordan, you really captured character in the raw here...........you apparently quickly earned some trust, imagine asking for a single dollar to solve your problems. There isn't one of us here that wouldn't give a dollar to help this guy along, your kindness in your visit and asking permission and supplying $5 will come back to you 10x over someday buddy............a neat experience you had here and hopefully breathed a bit of fresh life into this survivor.

Karl

Aug 26, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Erik_J
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Homeless Man by the River

A great shot. Well done

Aug 31, 2013 at 04:07 PM
keeper2

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Homeless Man by the River

This looks like it was shot in the flats of Cleveland, was it?

Aug 31, 2013 at 04:27 PM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Homeless Man by the River

Let see in B&W and blurry the background even more.

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:15 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Homeless Man by the River

good street character portrait

Sep 01, 2013 at 06:27 AM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Homeless Man by the River

Most of my thoughts about this excellent street portrait have already been well-expressed.

This image would also work in B&W, of course. But you couldn't really see the grunge in B&W because EVERYTHING about the man would look grungy.
True- color sometimes masks important things that can be seen better in B&W.
But it also works the other way.
In color, the man's filthy hand is all the filthier because of the bright and cheerfulfully-colored sweater.
In B&W the sweater would look grungy. And it isn't.
Charlie

Sep 01, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Homeless Man by the River

Normally, I object to these sorts of shots on principle, but you've managed to make a shot that I don't feel is exploiting the subject (more than any portrait exploits its subject), and I respect that. This is more a portrait of a man than a portrait of a "homeless guy."

Does he have a name? That would be a more apt title.

Sep 01, 2013 at 02:14 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Homeless Man by the River

It's a very nice portrait. I like it

Sep 01, 2013 at 04:16 PM
vincecoller

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Homeless Man by the River

I hope he is fine now. It sounds distressing, but numerous places are starting to use a new tactic to deal with destitute populations, specifically relocation. An increasing number of city governments are trying their hand at relocating homeless people, though it's not really what it seems.

Sep 12, 2013 at 03:58 AM
SargentRay
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Homeless Man by the River

I love this shot, i think it is brilliant to have kept it in color, it makes it more real than reality itself as painful as it may be sometimes for us to look at but ever so present day in day out for "them".

Photographically speaking i had to look twice to make sure it wasn't taken here in the old Montreal part of my downtown reality. It's simply incredible how familiar everything looks, starting with the person,the buildings, then the waterway, the bridge right down to the concrete structure the guy is sitting on.

Looking at the superb composition my eyes keep moving in a loop pattern over and over again; the eyes, mouth and finally the hand. All indicating to the viewer a very harsh life most probably compressed in less years one would like to believe.

Hats off to you Jman13, and thanks for sharing the story :-)

Sep 14, 2013 at 10:47 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.