New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · You can now rent a raw hacked 5D Mark III

super35
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · You can now rent a raw hacked 5D Mark III

So, this is pretty awesome:Magic Lantern 5D3 Rental

I think it is a sign that hacked 5D3 is getting much closer to being a production ready camera.

Aug 21, 2013 at 01:22 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · You can now rent a raw hacked 5D Mark III

Mmm... fast cards may have to go on the shopping list.

Aug 21, 2013 at 07:25 PM
kodakeos
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · You can now rent a raw hacked 5D Mark III

Im still curious how I install it.. and once its installed, process the files.
I tried once, a few weeks ago (just after the 14 stop hack came out) and nearly bricked my 5dIII

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · You can now rent a raw hacked 5D Mark III

kodakeos wrote:
Im still curious how I install it.. and once its installed, process the files.
I tried once, a few weeks ago (just after the 14 stop hack came out) and nearly bricked my 5dIII

Took me about 5 mins to get on to both my 5D3s for raw video recording. What trouble did you have?

I bought a 1000x card to test with and it works great (1920x1080 @ 24fps). My 400x cards weren't even fast enough for 720p.

Interestingly, the first 3GB or 4 GB of my 1000x card writes too slowly (the buffer over runs) for full 1080p (it's fine for 1920x840) but after that it works flawlessly and doesn't even come close to over run. No idea why the first 3GB or 4GB is around 15% slower than the rest. So, I just press record twice, let it auto stop (buffer over run) then I'm good to go for the rest of the card (64GB).

Only 11 minutes of raw on 64GB. Ouch.

Currently processing in After Effects and/or Davinci Resolve depending on what the footage is and what it's going to be used for.

I have noticed that you really can't push the shadows very far without needing some noise reduction, and the image can be a 'little' noisier overall, but I guess Canon are doing some NR in their conversion to H264 in camera. Either way, I was a little reluctant to try it but now I have I'm quite happy with the results and now have a small SD card in both cameras ready to run ML when needed and always record to the CF card.

It's a PITA having to turn raw on each time and then reset the frame size, but I guess that's something they will change once they are out of the alpha stage.

Aug 24, 2013 at 03:35 AM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · You can now rent a raw hacked 5D Mark III

So, I've been doing some more testing today with 5D3 raw. A couple of observations.

• There is more detail, no doubt about it

• With the extra details comes a little more noise - easily fixed with Neat Video without losing as much detail as the H.264

• There is some evidence of colour aliasing on some fine white text on a black background (like we used to see on 5D2) that's not present in the H.264.

Aug 24, 2013 at 02:25 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.