Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · corporate interview...

sean4230
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · corporate interview...

i've been in the wedding, family, and commercial product photography world for about 6 years now, and finally have in "interview" of sorts, to work on retainer, with a marketing director for a fairly large local company. i'm perfectly comfortable with my ability to sell myself, and the quality of my work, but this is a bit of a new arena for me as i've been out of the corporate world for quite a while.

what i'm looking for here, is a ANY wisdom that might be helpful in selling my portfolio of events and products (all overlap into customer/facility photography), and convincing a "suit" that my work crosses over. what will a "strictly business" man want to see, or need to hear?

i have quite a few ideas, but thought i'd throw it out to the forum too, as this has been in invaluable resource over the years!
sean

Aug 21, 2013 at 06:04 PM
aborr
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · corporate interview...

My guess is that it will be far more important to sell yourself rather than your portfolio.

You're working in a 'people facing' environment, and first and foremost you have to convince him that you're reliable, can meet deadlines, and most importantly, can interact smoothly and professionally with the rest of the team and with customers.

It's much easier to find a technically competent photographer than one with
good people skills.

Aug 22, 2013 at 03:16 AM
Access
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · corporate interview...

I've done my share of interviews and one of the big things today is honesty. Today around 40% of the resumes and 30% of the people out there will lie or misrepresent the truth. So first and foremost, a face-to-face interviewer is trying to ensure that you and your work is genuine, that you can and will be able to produce at the level which you represent yourself and your references and everything else actually check out.

Beyond this, attitude is very important, like if I ask an impossible or very difficult question, I expect a candidate to be able to attack the problem rather than try to run away from it or throw up his hands in frustration.

Aug 22, 2013 at 03:35 AM
sean4230
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · corporate interview...

both of you confirmed what i was already thinking. my portfolio should speak for itself. now i just need to shake the interview rust off! thank you both for taking the time to comment!

Aug 22, 2013 at 03:58 AM
JR Photo
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · corporate interview...

I am retired from Inc, Ink & having been on both sides I believe that most Creative Directors, Project Managers and Corporate Administrators would say is most can be, "Techie" and get the image correct. What is lacking is adaptability and the ability to turn on the dime. Our egos go on up the food chain. Good Luck! J. R.

Aug 22, 2013 at 04:42 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password