New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Sharing hi-res pictures online

snowboarder
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sharing hi-res pictures online

I decided to share high resolution images online. I select pictures related
to my recent stories and make an effort to present them as well as I can.

http://lenticulartravel.com/hires-pictures-to-download/

What do you think? Stupid? Do you/would you do it?
It created quite a heated reaction from some of my friends...

Andrew

Aug 21, 2013 at 09:12 AM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sharing hi-res pictures online

snowboarder wrote:
I decided to share high resolution images online. I select pictures related
to my recent stories and make an effort to present them as well as I can.

http://lenticulartravel.com/hires-pictures-to-download/

What do you think?

Nice images.

Stupid?

No.

Do you/would you do it?

Several people here share high-resolution images in the HD Images Thread.

It created quite a heated reaction from some of my friends...

Why?

Aug 21, 2013 at 09:32 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sharing hi-res pictures online

Yeah, nice images. I don't see why anybody should get torqued about it. After all, they're your images.

Aug 21, 2013 at 09:52 AM
snowboarder
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sharing hi-res pictures online

Reaction was: "how can you give those away for free?"

Aug 21, 2013 at 09:54 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sharing hi-res pictures online

snowboarder wrote:
Reaction was: "how can you give those away for free?"

Easy, put them on your blog.

Seriously, it's your call.

Aug 21, 2013 at 09:55 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sharing hi-res pictures online

It's completely up to you. I've started sharing progressively larger images over the years, mainly to keep up with increasing monitor resolution. I'd prefer not to go too far beyond what I am doing now (which is typically 1200px max horizontally and 900px max vertically). My 1200x900 box does pretty well, allowing those with 1680x1050 monitors and larger to view the whole image without scrolling around. 6 years ago, I was sharing 640x480 pics max...then went to 800x600, then 1000x800, now 1200x900. For panoramic shots, I'll often go to 1500px wide.

I'd prefer people not be able to make large prints from the web shared versions of my prints, but that's about it. However, if you don't care if people use your images for whatever, then share away...it shouldn't be any skin off anyone else's nose.

Aug 21, 2013 at 09:56 AM
redisburning
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sharing hi-res pictures online

I mean what size prints are people really going to make off of 1900 width images?

to get to 10 inches you'd have to print at 190 dpi, and I don't consider 10 on the long side to be large. nor do I consider 200 dpi to be high quality.

Aug 21, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sharing hi-res pictures online

You might not, but the average person would view a 200dpi print at 8x10 from a high quality camera to be:

a) very high quality, because most people are shooting with P&S cameras or phones and a 3 MP file from a DSLR is going to still yield a better 8x10 than that.

b) Large. Do you know how many people print photos larger than 8x10? Almost none. Now me? Yeah...I view 12x18 as sort of my 'standard' print size, with 8x10 and 9x12s being small and 16x20 and larger being 'large'. But a lot of people will see shots and print them. I've had my dad print some of my shots from my 1200px wide reductions and say how good they look...and I have to remind him if he really wants a print of my stuff to just ask and I'll have a print from the original file made at WHCC and sent to him....and he was a fairly serious photographer for a while (though that fell away from him in the late 80s).

You might get a decent 4x6 out of my shared images at 1200px wide (not a great one, but decent)...and I'm OK with that...but like I said, everyone is different. As monitors increase in resolution, I'll probably continue to go a little larger...if you want to share at 2,000 pixels or full resolution, it doesn't matter at all to me, though I don't feel like doing that for the most part.

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:47 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sharing hi-res pictures online

I too don't get the controversy.

I also wouldn't call the images high resolution, though it's obviously a vague, context-based term (15 years ago it might have been considered high-ish; 15 years from now it'll be peanut-ish; monitors at that resolution are on the higher end, but won't be for long as 4K comes rolling down the line).

They're 2MP, or 1200px tall. So not truly big enough for a high quality print of any meaningful size.

Do you care about getting money directly for the images (I guess not, you're posting them)? Do you care about attention? Is this a hobby (aka it isn't your main income source)? Is it a career/job (it feeds you and puts a roof over your head... without it you wouldn't have these things)? Do you have some kind of indirect way of using the posting of those images to generate serious income/value?

To me these are all personal questions to ask and answer. I don't particularly care what your answer is. I'm surprised your friends would care either. But you should, of course.

Aug 22, 2013 at 01:42 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sharing hi-res pictures online

Jman13 wrote:
It's completely up to you. I've started sharing progressively larger images over the years, mainly to keep up with increasing monitor resolution. I'd prefer not to go too far beyond what I am doing now (which is typically 1200px max horizontally and 900px max vertically). My 1200x900 box does pretty well, allowing those with 1680x1050 monitors and larger to view the whole image without scrolling around. 6 years ago, I was sharing 640x480 pics max...then went to 800x600, then 1000x800, now 1200x900. For panoramic shots, I'll often go to 1500px wide.

I'd prefer people not be able to make large
...Show more

I think that is pretty much my attitude as well. I post 1000px longest edge plus a small frame, so that those with laptops and smaller monitors aren't overwhelmed.

Would i be annoyed if i caught someone using my images commercially or passing them off as their own? Probably, but i don't make any money from photography (nor am i ever likely to) so i haven't really lost anything. I also tend towards the reasoning that if they have used my image without permission they weren't going to pay anyway. Of course such "thieves" shouldn't be encouraged by making it easy for them (i.e. by posting up full res pictures) but i'm not going to let fear of them stop me enjoying my hobby.

Aug 22, 2013 at 01:52 AM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sharing hi-res pictures online

I shoot places that others have never seen, let alone photographed, let alone shot with top class equipment, so there will no web publishing of that material except on my terms. I'd be unhappy to see it show up in commercial sites or material which is quite likely from the web - most ex-copyright image 'repurposing' soon will be electronic not prints, and a resized high grade 1200x800 jpeg will do many publications or tour operator websites very nicely, thank you.

Other work it's OK of course. I think we may just get away with a fair bit here on FM Alt Gear as most pirates will presumably cruise other image sites. And would think we are just a bunch of gearheads, with no decent output except elegantly shot test charts. If you want to 'share' as it were, fine, why not make it available. Just know it ceases to be 'yours' to all intents and purposes.

Aug 22, 2013 at 02:14 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sharing hi-res pictures online

i "share" larger images than those on the HD thread and flickr. it's not big enough to make a print i would bother to sell, so i don't really care if somebody downloads it and makes a crappy print from my 2048x1536 image. obviously i'd rather they email me and ask for a nicer print, but i don't think such people are interested in that. anybody can use my photos as a desktop or screen saver and i'm happy if they do (does anybody pay for their desktop background anyway?). i don't use my photos to make money other than accidental sales, but even if i did i don't think such small files would represent a loss in business at all. too small for stock and too small for print. that said, if i find out somebody is making millions from my photos i'll probably sue... on the other hand, if somebody thinks they can actually make money from my mediocre photos that i do nothing to promote i'll happily let them take 50% of the profits.

Aug 22, 2013 at 02:19 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sharing hi-res pictures online

sebboh wrote:
....does anybody pay for their desktop background anyway?

Yes, they do. I used to pay for http://www.digitalblasphemy.com/ and i suspect i am not alone as he seems to make a fairly decent living.

Aug 22, 2013 at 02:22 AM
Chrissearle
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sharing hi-res pictures online

Whats so wrong with giving images for free anyway? I post full res pics on my flickr site, I have no desire to make money out of them, I enjoy creating them and am extremely happy if someone likes them enough to download or use. Photography is my passion and not my job.

Aug 22, 2013 at 02:41 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sharing hi-res pictures online

15Bit wrote:
Yes, they do. I used to pay for http://www.digitalblasphemy.com/ and i suspect i am not alone as he seems to make a fairly decent living.

ha! fair enough, i think i had the free sampler way back when. it just seems so easy to find high quality free images that it doesn't seem worth it to pay for something like that (to me). also, i'd rather have my own images as a desktop than somebody else's, but that is something different all together.

Aug 22, 2013 at 02:42 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sharing hi-res pictures online

sebboh wrote:
ha! fair enough, i think i had the free sampler way back when. it just seems so easy to find high quality free images that it doesn't seem worth it to pay for something like that (to me). also, i'd rather have my own images as a desktop than somebody else's, but that is something different all together.

Yeah, i stopped renewing when my photography got good enough that i could use my own images. Still i admire his commitment and always felt good about supporting it.

Aug 22, 2013 at 04:29 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.