New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Leads for Commercial Photography

KellyGirl

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Leads for Commercial Photography

Can some of you members tell me if you were starting up a Commercial Product business nowadays how and to who, would advertise your services? I ran a commercial business in New York back in the film days, and mainly we sent postcards or mail pieces to business's and advertised in the yellow pages. I was hoping to get some current photographic marketing advice, as I'm planning on opening a small Commercial business again in my new area.

Aug 21, 2013 at 08:13 AM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Leads for Commercial Photography

Do the same with postcards but the yellow pages are gone, now being found in the Google search results is worth what a full page ad had been back then. Study up on social media and G+ should be your first read. that would be your first step into SEO for your site.

Aug 21, 2013 at 03:46 PM
KellyGirl

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Leads for Commercial Photography

Thanks jefferies1 ..yes I do a lot of SEO on my website and work heavily on FaceBook, I'm not sure about FB though, seems like everyone is pitching on there but no one is buying! And postcards unless you are sending in bulk permit ..between the cost of the card printing and postage it's almost 2 cards for a dollar! You had better be pretty sure of your cold sends!

Aug 21, 2013 at 04:45 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Leads for Commercial Photography

Yes it all cost money. You can print a nice card 8.5x5.5 for cheap at overnight prints. Still cheaper than hand delivery when you think about the gas cost. At least you get something in their hands.

I really don't do much FB. I just can't tell people who my clients are and what I am doing. Does not feel right. OK, so I am 50 and missed this social thing. I prefer anti social.
Video is really good so think about sending a video promo out to the big agencies. For a list to start go to local photographers sites and look at the client list they are bragging about. Then you know who had spent money and might again. Few clients are loyal so that at least is a starting point. Now you know why I keep my Face book mouth shut!

I still get over 90 percent of my business from online. That is where I invest my time. I also don't just go after local business. A lot is out of state that might come in town. Other smaller product stuff can be sent by mail if the bid is right.

Aug 21, 2013 at 06:07 PM
KellyGirl

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Leads for Commercial Photography

Thanks jefferies1 ..you have been a lot of help! Good starting points for me! When you say 90% online you mean you are picking up clients who are surfing photographers on Google ..or they are targeting you specifically?

Thanks Again
Kelly

Aug 21, 2013 at 07:29 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Leads for Commercial Photography

Yes, new clients searching for what I do is the 90%. The other 10% would be from referrals. Of course I do have repeat business but I don't count that in the mix. My focus is on new business or I would be out of business. Repeat business is funny. You make it look too easy and then they go for the cheaper prices only to end up with junk. Of course that is 2-3 jobs gone as they play around trying to save money.

Aug 22, 2013 at 11:03 AM
KellyGirl

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Leads for Commercial Photography

Thanks Again! ..jefferies1 ..Kelly

Aug 26, 2013 at 11:22 AM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Leads for Commercial Photography

Even the commercial world has gone full crazy with photographers where talent is a small fraction of what gets you jobs. You're going to find this segment of the market almost as saturated as what the wedding industry has become. Getting in touch with people still works, but most people who hire are touched a lot and their attention span for unsolicited work is very short. There's been a few blogs that show promo pieces for commercial photographers and it's staggering how much it's not about the work, and simply standing out with your branding and fun little toys you send to people.

Aug 26, 2013 at 06:12 PM
markd61
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Leads for Commercial Photography

I heard a friend say that for every day he shoots he spends a day prospecting for new clients. I have tried to follow that advice but as Jeffries and Cinseski note it ain't like it was.

In particular I identify with Jeffries aversion to FB. My clients are not trolling FB for photographers. They expect to find them through referrals and web searches as a part of their day job.
FB is critical for portrait, wedding, baby and senior photographers not, IMO, commercial photographers. G+ may be a better place but again it seems to me a lot liked LinkedIn and a Chamber mixer where everyone on there is anxious to be in your network so they can market to you not the other way around.

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:28 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Leads for Commercial Photography

markd61 wrote:
LinkedIn and a Chamber mixer where everyone on there is anxious to be in your network so they can market to you not the other way around.

Indeed. I loathe LinkedIn.

Aug 30, 2013 at 04:04 AM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Leads for Commercial Photography

There are a lot of photo agents and others on Facebook. What that exactly does I don't know. The photography industry is becoming desperate and it's showing by what people are willing to do to get work, even for established people. I just saw a photo of a goody package an established and well known photographer sent to a coordinator and I'm sure it cost a good amount and I'm sure they sent one out to many coordinators. It was a very large box full of stuff. It's really becoming insane. Check this out with the commercial industry:

http://www.aphotoeditor.com/2008/01/09/photographer-promo-cards/
http://www.aphotoeditor.com/2010/03/09/cool-photographer-promo-lands-serious-interest-from-clients/

There's more creatives than there are paying clients. But I have heard comments from agents that everyone in the industry desperately wants to be the next person to make the next big discovery in a photographer.

markd61 wrote:
I heard a friend say that for every day he shoots he spends a day prospecting for new clients. I have tried to follow that advice but as Jeffries and Cinseski note it ain't like it was.

In particular I identify with Jeffries aversion to FB. My clients are not trolling FB for photographers. They expect to find them through referrals and web searches as a part of their day job.
FB is critical for portrait, wedding, baby and senior photographers not, IMO, commercial photographers. G+ may be a better place but again it seems to me a lot liked LinkedIn
...Show more

Aug 30, 2013 at 05:31 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Leads for Commercial Photography

Reason for G+ at least for me is not that anyone will ever see it but Google likes it and will post your image next to your profile listing in search results. Listing with a personal photo make for better marketing and conversion when the listing is seen.

markd61 wrote:

FB is critical for portrait, wedding, baby and senior photographers not, IMO, commercial photographers. G+ may be a better place but again it seems to me a lot liked LinkedIn
...Show more

Aug 31, 2013 at 09:08 AM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Leads for Commercial Photography

Another new post on the matter: http://marchesiphoto.com/blog/the-changing-photography-market-can-you-manage-a-meeting-with-an-ad-agency-or-a-magazine-in-new-york/

Maybe a poor taste euphemism, but it would be unwise to become a cancer doctor if a pill were devised that cured all cancer.

Sep 04, 2013 at 09:09 AM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Leads for Commercial Photography

cineski wrote:
There are a lot of photo agents and others on Facebook. What that exactly does I don't know. The photography industry is becoming desperate and it's showing by what people are willing to do to get work, even for established people. I just saw a photo of a goody package an established and well known photographer sent to a coordinator and I'm sure it cost a good amount and I'm sure they sent one out to many coordinators. It was a very large box full of stuff. It's really becoming insane. Check this out with the commercial industry:

http://www.aphotoeditor.com/2008/01/09/photographer-promo-cards/
http://www.aphotoeditor.com/2010/03/09/cool-photographer-promo-lands-serious-interest-from-clients/

There's more creatives
...Show more

Nope things aren't the same as they were, they never are.
Say that you have a budget of $3500 for promotion for the year. Instead of the old way of spending a couple bucks per prospect, today people of a certain level will spend $50 on 70 better prospects.

Sep 05, 2013 at 01:43 AM
JoshI
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Leads for Commercial Photography

It's still about those personal connections in the commercial business, but a good website and social media presence certainly won't hurt. Just remember that social media isn't about making the sale, it's about building credibility and encouraging potential clients towards your conventional conversion process.

Josh

Sep 09, 2013 at 02:12 PM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Leads for Commercial Photography

A good agent with strong relationships is still your best bet.

Sep 10, 2013 at 09:09 AM
markd61
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Leads for Commercial Photography

Deezie wrote:

I am not sure an agent is really available for someone in smaller markets or with a short track record. I believe the bulk of commercial photographers do not have agents.

Sep 10, 2013 at 01:10 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Leads for Commercial Photography

Deezie wrote:

In most cases a good agent won;t take on a photographer who isn;t already doing very well, unless they see great potential in them ($$$$$$$)

Sep 11, 2013 at 08:32 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.