Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · U-10 Soccer, C&C

canons900
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · U-10 Soccer, C&C

Some u-10 soccer from this past weekend. My son is on a new team after a difficult spring season. They went to the finals and lost. Not too bad considering it was the first time they all played together.

Shooting these yellow uniforms is challenging. Next time I am going to work on better exposure for the faces and work on changing the focus point on the camera itself. I feel like I need to move that focus point around a bit. Especially when I am changing the camera orientation from portrait to landscape (vertical to horizontal). Will need to break out the manual for that one. Backgrounds at the tournaments are a pain btw!

All were shot with the 1d classic and sigma 100-300mm. ISO was 400 and SS was changed when needed. Processed in LR, I rarely use Photoshop any longer unless I am working on a collage or something.

All are cropped for the web.

311E2613.jpg by canons900, on Flickr[/IMG]

311E2600.jpg by canons900, on Flickr[/IMG]

311E2601.jpg by canons900, on Flickr[/IMG]

311E2595.jpg by canons900, on Flickr[/IMG]

311E2596.jpg by canons900, on Flickr[/IMG]

311E2550.jpg by canons900, on Flickr[/IMG]

Aug 21, 2013 at 08:10 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · U-10 Soccer, C&C

Ah, the 1D Classic... great body! Yup, the yellows can be a bit tricky but you've done a decent job here. For certain the BGs can be a pain but its all part of your game to search out the best spot. Sometimes there just isn't one, too bad in #6 as the isolated action is quite good. Couple of other comments:
2- this most likely can be PP'd a bit more to adjust the exposure and shadows
4- a bit oof, assume this is a substantial crop?
5 -sharp, very crisp.... coming at you would improve its strength
6- as said earlier one of the best here, issue is the BG

Keep 'em coming

Matt

Aug 21, 2013 at 08:47 AM
canons900
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · U-10 Soccer, C&C

schlotz wrote:
Ah, the 1D Classic... great body! Yup, the yellows can be a bit tricky but you've done a decent job here. For certain the BGs can be a pain but its all part of your game to search out the best spot. Sometimes there just isn't one, too bad in #6 as the isolated action is quite good. Couple of other comments:
2- this most likely can be PP'd a bit more to adjust the exposure and shadows
4- a bit oof, assume this is a substantial crop?
5 -sharp, very crisp.... coming at you would improve its strength
6- as said earlier one
...Show more

Hey Matt,
Been a while since I posted in the forum. Thanks for the feedback.

2- will play with this one a little more, processing this yellow uniform is tough
4- yes, heavy crop he plays a lot of defense and I don't really have a lens that get me from one end of the field to the other. I do have a 400, but it is a very old model
5--yes, I was on the sideline here for this one, agree, if it was straight on, it would really rock
6-backgrounds at tourneys are tough, sometimes this weekend, no matter where I moved to, there was always something, sometimes it is what it is

Aug 21, 2013 at 09:33 AM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · U-10 Soccer, C&C

Tag-teaming with Matt's spot-on feedback, I'll say these are good-looking isolated player images, but where's the action? There's no indication in these images that these are from a game, let alone a tournament. Maybe that's exactly what you're after, but if so, you might have better luck shooting them at practices where you can set things up to better meet your needs. Otherwise, let's see some soccer!

Aug 21, 2013 at 09:34 AM
MichGoBlue
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · U-10 Soccer, C&C

I really like your low shooting angle of these - it makes the players look so much bigger than U10!

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:30 AM
canons900
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · U-10 Soccer, C&C

Russ Isabella wrote:
Tag-teaming with Matt's spot-on feedback, I'll say these are good-looking isolated player images, but where's the action? There's no indication in these images that these are from a game, let alone a tournament. Maybe that's exactly what you're after, but if so, you might have better luck shooting them at practices where you can set things up to better meet your needs. Otherwise, let's see some soccer!

Russ,
This tournament was tough. They were in the lowest bracket and the teams they were facing were below their level. Once our players had the ball, the other team was watching our players instead of attacking them defensively. If one of our boys beat the other team to the ball, the other team was ball watching.

This made from some very lopsided games if you know where I am coming from. Until they got to the final and then our team was ball watching. Hence the second place finish in the tournament. Such is the way with 10 year olds......

Scott

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:53 AM
jspytek
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · U-10 Soccer, C&C

Being that you didn't have much action with the other team, practice watching your backgrounds as well. In 1,2,3 they all have a line in the background going through your player's head 6 has that parent messing up the shot. If these are for parents and they don't want the competition in the photo you are off to a good start.

I can see the player doing some movement and the ball in each. These guys are tough to get the eyes right. I don't see a single photo with the eyes or where the eyes are in a position that makes a killer photo. My experience has been that is normal at this age. They aren't looking up and looking around the field. With the older players you can catch them with the ball looking almost directly into the camera as they look around the field.

Your focus appears to be right on target, with the crisp grass under the player. Shadows overall were non-existent, which is good. Looks like you had to deal with some sun in the last photo.

Keep it up you are doing well.

Aug 21, 2013 at 11:46 AM
canons900
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · U-10 Soccer, C&C

Thoughts on these:

Some more soccer from a tournament a few weeks ago.

All shot with a 1d classic and a Sigma 100-300mm f4. ISO was at 400.

Let me know what you think.

311E2520.jpg by canons900, on Flickr[/IMG]

311E2518.jpg by canons900, on Flickr[/IMG]

311E2505.jpg by canons900, on Flickr[/IMG]

311E2489.jpg by canons900, on Flickr[/IMG]

311E2510.jpg by canons900, on Flickr[/IMG]

311E2509.jpg by canons900, on Flickr[/IMG]

Aug 21, 2013 at 01:35 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · U-10 Soccer, C&C

Quick comments:
1- medium action not peak, BG distracting from present action
2- overexposed a tad could be lessened in PP, single player action, again BG issues
3- better.... chopped far left player tugs at the eye
4- better yet & best of the group IMO, in LR try bumping up the whites a bit and add a small about of clarity
5 & 6 - which one do you prefer? they are less than a second apart

In both #1 & #3, are these individual take are are they a part of a series? Each suggests there is another frame where the action peaked further.

Matt

Aug 21, 2013 at 02:56 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.