Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Gels for Canon Speedlite

Hotspur
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Gels for Canon Speedlite

I know gels are not expensive, but I don't want to waste my time with something that's going to be a pain to use. I want to warm up my Speedlites for macro photography.

What do folks recommend? Velcro and dots? Holder? If yes, which brand?

Thanks for any guidelines you can provide.

Aug 21, 2013 at 05:10 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Gels for Canon Speedlite

i just use a rubber band (cut the gels long) or put them under the fold-down diffuser (depends on the flash unit you have)

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:05 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Gels for Canon Speedlite

I personally don't see how anything such as attaching gels can be a pain to use. It's simple to attach the desired color to a flash via tape, velcro, rubber band, etc. I've used many different things and I see them all pretty much the same. In other words, nothing that I have seen that's extraordinarily difficult.

We're talking about attaching a piece of plastic like material to a flash. What is it that you're worried about?

Aug 21, 2013 at 05:49 PM
JohnBrose
• • •
p.1 #4 · Gels for Canon Speedlite

I bought a set for Nikon speedlites that work fine or you can get some background gels and cut them down. Either rubber band them or tape them on. The Nikon's have a little tab that folds over and sticks into the little spot where the bounce card comes out of. I think the set was about $25. I wish Canon would include some basic color balancing gels with their flashes, for $600 you would think it would be a nice thing to include.

Aug 21, 2013 at 06:49 PM
nodal

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Gels for Canon Speedlite

I don't know if these are still around. They work.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1169608&highlight=gel+holder

Aug 21, 2013 at 07:55 PM
Zenon Char
• • •
p.1 #6 · Gels for Canon Speedlite

Before I got the Canon 600's I made them wider and attached with velcro dots. I get sheets of gels for dirt cheap at a local theatre supply store.

Aug 23, 2013 at 05:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bobk

p.1 #7 · Gels for Canon Speedlite

I'm pretty sure I've tried everything, except maybe rubber bands:

- Lumiquest FX
- DIY gel holder
- scotch tape
- gaff tape
- velcro tabs on the gels
- 600EX gel holder

And I've finally settled on the HonlPhoto gel kits with a speed strap. For starters, they're amazingly durable, much thicker than a typical Roscoe gel. I've beat the crap out of them and still haven't ripped or melted one. It's also the fastest setup for me... tape is too fiddly, velcro tabs have to be applied ahead of time, holders all seem to have issues and save no time. With the Honl, I leave the strap on my flash and they attach instantly, and cover the whole face.

BTW, they now have an all-CTO kit available, which accounts for nearly all my usage. B&H and Adorama don't list it, but it's on the Honl site, and I was able to order it through a local store. They seem expensive if you're used to a $5 assortment of typical gels, but durability and ease of use justifies it for me.

With any gel, putting the velcro on the long side rather than the ends seems to work out much better, it helps minimize white light leakage.

Sep 14, 2013 at 03:41 PM
Elan II
• • •
p.1 #8 · Gels for Canon Speedlite

I use these. They slide on easily and don't break. A pack of 20 is a couple of bucks at the hair section of the pharmacy.

Sep 14, 2013 at 04:35 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #9 · Gels for Canon Speedlite

I have a lumiquet speed strap, and I made DIY holders out of plastic sheet protectors and Velcro. I cut them long enough to wrap around the sides of the head and attach tote speed strap. I stapled the Velcro to the sheet protectors so they can't come unglued and make a sticky mess. I use the rosco strobist kit of gels. Works great for me!

Paul

Sep 14, 2013 at 06:03 PM
ryan21
• • •
p.1 #10 · Gels for Canon Speedlite

I hate using the flexible gels, they are just not as refined as they could be. Fortunately for the market there is a pretty good system that I think Spencer Boerup is developing that will change this. I'd hit him up for the specifics but from what I have seen these "rough" solutions will be all but obsolete when his system hits the market.

Sep 15, 2013 at 06:38 PM
trumpetjohn

p.1 #11 · Gels for Canon Speedlite

I use Rogue gels, they also are just held in place with a rubber band and they work great.

Sep 24, 2013 at 05:45 PM
nixland
• • •
p.1 #12 · Gels for Canon Speedlite

I usually use rubber band. One of the problem I found is that if I want to attach the gel on the flash and also attach a diffuser cap like Omnibounce. Also when attaching my DIY grid snoot. Usually I use thin rubber band for it.

Oct 02, 2013 at 10:30 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password