Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Einstein vs Profoto (upgrade)

Sneakyracer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Einstein vs Profoto (upgrade)

Hi, I have Profoto Acute2 packs and heads and also Alien Bees. I mostly use the profoto gear since the packs are small enough and with head extensions I can rig lights up high and keep the pack close to me so I can adjust it. Also the way the accessories attach to the profoto head is simple, easy and secure. It is one of the best things about the system really. You really can't mess it up. The Profoto Pro packs are huge and very heavy and expensive compared to the Acutes and basically best for studio only and rental houses.

I use the Bees mostly for supplemental lighting and also when on the road on bad locations where I do not mind if they get damaged. I have a few of the Vagabond Mini Lithium battery packs and they work great. Awesome for location work. I have had rain fall on the bees and they have kept working even after making worrisome noises. I actually have not had one go bad. Ditto with the profotos. I do not like at all the way accessories attach to the Bees, miss one tab and boom, a modifier will fall easily, but hey they are very affordable so it's ok.

One good thing about the profotos is that I can rent mine out at good prices.

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:29 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Einstein vs Profoto (upgrade)

Deezie wrote:
Paul probably sells a lot of lights, but no one monitors who sells the most gear. I spoke with Profoto about this a couple years ago and they had no clue what their market share is. Paul has a private company and has no obligation to release his financials to shareholders.

There are not more Einstein modifiers available than any other manufacturer. Almost every brand can use third party modifiers with the appropriate speed ring, be it Mola, Photoflex, Chimera, you name it. I'm a Profoto owner and used to own Alien Bees - and I really liked them. They
...Show more

i would disagree with you. I think it's pretty obvious that alien bees outsell profoto, probably by a factor of 25 to 1. It stands to reason that the modifiers will outnumber the profoto ones and even though you can switch the mount by using an adapter on most softboxes, try to find a profoto adapter except in a select few specialty stores. You can look through craigslist in almost any city and buy spares for your alienbees. Can't remember when last I saw a profoto piece of gear of any kind in cleveland on craigslist.

Just look through the ads on this forum. Count the ratio of buff gear vs. profoto. I think it's pretty obvious.

Nov 03, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Deezie
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Einstein vs Profoto (upgrade)

Ahhh, you're from Cleveland. Well that explains it.

Nov 05, 2013 at 02:49 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Einstein vs Profoto (upgrade)

"I think it's pretty obvious that alien bees outsell profoto, probably by a factor of 25 to 1."

Pretty obvious to who, you? You have absolutely no proof of this, it's a completely subjective statement. Maybe monolights in U.S. But used sales have nothing to do with the volume a product used. My guess is that Buff gear is widely available used because it's cheap and amature's and beginning pros sell it to upgrade to something better just like I and many others have. Once you start using quality strobes and modifiers like Profoto, Broncolor, Elinchrom, Dynalite, Hensel, etc. you are much more likely to keep it and much less likely to sell it. Yes the Einstein is certainly nicer than Alien Bees but it's only been out for a short time. So 25 to 1? Prove it.

Nov 05, 2013 at 03:50 AM
plastic_lens
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Einstein vs Profoto (upgrade)

Profoto is essentially the standard for studios and rental houses around the world. This is not just because the technology and packs are so well built and have proven themselves, but also because of the extensive choices for light shaping tools.

Nov 26, 2013 at 05:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jzucker
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Einstein vs Profoto (upgrade)

funny stuff. Went to several large photography workshops recently hosted by afterdark and sandy pucs. Funny thing is , not a single photographer hosting a workshop used profoto. (though frankly , only a couple used einstein)

In my experience, except for the most high end studios, you don't see many profoto setups. When I see folks out shooting location stuff, i don't think i've ever seen anyone using profoto. Most are using ab and a few elinchrom.

So, I don't need to prove it. I see the empirical evidence. Not sure why some of you are getting so bent out of shape but my theory is that when you spend a huge amount on your equipment, you have a vested interest in keeping the resale prices high.

Nov 26, 2013 at 06:04 PM
plastic_lens
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Einstein vs Profoto (upgrade)

Since we're talking anecdotal, I live in one of the most media saturated cities in the US, Washington DC, and I've yet to see a Buff product. I know they're out there somewhere, but I've never seen any. I've also seen my large organization host hired professionals to shoot for a magazine, and on all five of those shoots, the only thing I saw was Profoto lights, plus two using Kinos on the faces (three shooting Nikon DSLR, two Canon).

Also, my used Profoto kit cost about the same as one Einstein. Granted, I got a great deal, but you don't have to spend thousands to get Profoto.

Nov 26, 2013 at 06:26 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Einstein vs Profoto (upgrade)

plastic_lens wrote:
Since we're talking anecdotal, I live in one of the most media saturated cities in the US, Washington DC, and I've yet to see a Buff product. I know they're out there somewhere, but I've never seen any. I've also seen my large organization host hired professionals to shoot for a magazine, and on all five of those shoots, the only thing I saw was Profoto lights, plus two using Kinos on the faces (three shooting Nikon DSLR, two Canon).

Also, my used Profoto kit cost about the same as one Einstein. Granted, I got a great deal, but you don't
...Show more

interestingly enough, if you search google for paul buff and profoto along with washington dc, you get tons of hits on paul buff by photographers. The hits on profoto are all stores.

Just sayin'...

P.S.

I saw alien bees several times on a single trip to dc recently.

Again, not claiming buff lights are in the same league with profoto but it's reasonable to assume at 1/4th the cost, they are out there in big(ger) numbers.

Nov 26, 2013 at 06:58 PM
Deezie
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Einstein vs Profoto (upgrade)

jzucker - what exactly is your point to all this? Does Buff having more lights in the world confirm that you made the right decision in buying his lights? Einsteins aren't suitable for every photographer no more than Profoto lights are. If your lights serve your particular needs, then that's all that really matters.

I've owned Buff lights and have not been happy with them under certain circumstances the same goes for my Profoto lights. They're both good brands each have their pros and cons. Einsteins just don't happen to meet my needs, but I often recommend them to others for their reasonable cost and features.

P.S. I love Paul's PLM's. It's one of my go-to modifiers.

Nov 27, 2013 at 12:16 AM
       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password