Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Einstein vs Profoto (upgrade)

timn421

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Einstein vs Profoto (upgrade)

I've been shooting full-time for the last couple of years and really want to upgrade my lighting. I currently have 2-ab400's and 2-ab800's. I also have a white lighting x3200.

Since I work without assistants, I need a way to operate adjust the lighting from my camera. Initially, I thought I would just upgrade to the einsteins with the cyber commander. However, I'm having second thoughts and wonder if I should just move up to profoto. I've assisted other photographers with profotos and really like the durability and zoom reflectors.

I need a light that is fairly portable that I can use on location. 1000ws would be great, but I can compromise for now by keeping the x3200.

I'm just looking at purchasing one light for now, to get use to how it operates.

To offset costs of the profotos is it possible to use any of them with a vagabond II, that I already have? Probably a stupid question, but does the quality of light really differ from a profoto/einstein?

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:34 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Einstein vs Profoto (upgrade)

Profoto is great stuff and definitely an upgrade. For what you want to do you should also look at the Elinchrom Ranger AS with the EL Skyport trigger system as it's one of the kings of portable strobes. If you don't need a 1,100 watts you could look at the Ranger Quadra or a Profoto 600B. Both perfect for a one man band.

Aug 21, 2013 at 01:52 AM
swingthis1
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Einstein vs Profoto (upgrade)

I personally own the Profoto D1 Air lights and have found them to be quite durable. They make a 1000ws unit that comes in a kit with 2 lights, 2 stands and the air remote. The remote allows you to control the power remotely from your hotshoe. To make them truly portable - I purchased a Photogenic Ion lithium battery that hangs on the stand and has 2 AC outlets. This way I have studio strobes and portable as needed without spending several thousand dollars on lights. This combined with Profoto and Elinchrome modifiers, you are set.

Scott

Aug 21, 2013 at 04:35 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Einstein vs Profoto (upgrade)

You didn't mention why you are having second thoughts about the possible Einstein with Cyber Commander purchase; at least I didn't read anything that specifically states why. You have used the Profoto but if you buy into similar accessories for Einstein (eg reflectors) what is it you would be missing?

Aug 21, 2013 at 05:45 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Einstein vs Profoto (upgrade)

I just wanted to add that I use both a Ranger and RX-600's with a portable power source. The Ranger and the Quadra are so much more portable and convenient. Especially if you do need 1,000 watts or more. For outdoor use a big heavymonolight like that is a lot of weight to put up on a stand. The portable strobe heads are much lighter and the pack acts as a weight for your stand.

Edited on Aug 22, 2013 at 01:39 AM · View previous versions

Aug 21, 2013 at 08:17 PM
Sheldon N
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Einstein vs Profoto (upgrade)

Location lighting I'd recommend the Elinchrom Ranger RX or Quadra, I use both and find them great and very portable. If you wanted to go Profoto, also very nice, I'd suggest the AcuteB 600. Profoto gear is super durable too, but unfortunately doesn't give you the remote power adjustment that the Ranger and Quadra have.

Elinchrom modifiers are awesome too, ideal for location shooting.

Aug 22, 2013 at 12:53 AM
Roland W
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Einstein vs Profoto (upgrade)

The way I remember it, Profoto monolights are not compatable with the Vagabond II power packs, so be careful if you are considering that option. A call to Paul Buff should clear that up for sure.

I am a user of the older Profoto AcuteB 600 units for my portable needs, and they work great. And the Profoto modifiers are good, plus they have the best mounting system around. But the cost of Profoto is significantly higher than Einsteins, plus the older Profoto units have no remote power control. Since you have modifiers for Buff products, and they always have good resale value, you probably should try Einsteins to start with.

Aug 22, 2013 at 02:39 AM
rico
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Einstein vs Profoto (upgrade)

Depending on venue, the lack of remote control over AcuteB (and other packs) is offset by having the pack next to you. The heads can be as far away as the cables reach.

Aug 22, 2013 at 06:17 AM
timn421

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Einstein vs Profoto (upgrade)

I'm in Nashville this week so I was able to look at Eli/Profoto strobes and of course the Einstein.

I looked at the Profoto D1's (best looking light of the bunch compared to Eli/Einstein). I could use them with a vagabond which is a plus or as mentioned above a Photogenic. The profoto batteries are so expensive.. I liked that air remote and that the triggers are built in. I didn't like that the profoto remote doesn't "visually" show how much power your strobe has. Its harder to tell what the settings are for each strobe. Not an issue if your close to them I guess. The new AcuteB's are simply out of my price range at this point. I don't know how sturdy the D1's would be working with large octa's in an outside environment.

I also looked at the Elinchrom 600. It looked to be well made, slightly weighty strobe. The Ranger looks like something I might purchase though. It was small and the pack wasn't very big, comparable to a vagabond mini. Eli seems to be a good compromise between profoto price and Einstein. Plus my favorite modifers are the Eli octas.

However, I went ahead and picked up the Einstein with cyber commander at Paul Buff's today since they have a 60 day money back guarantee on their products. I'm going to try them out, but I have to admit I'm not really enthusiastic about them compared to the others. The quality is better then the AB's but its definitely not Profoto or Elinchrom. The two things that I like about the Einstein though are that I can visually see the power of the strobes via the cyber commander and that I can go down to 2.5ws which is really nice for small spaces and working close to a subject. The other strobes don't go down this far, I don't think.

Aug 22, 2013 at 07:03 PM
Sheldon N
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Einstein vs Profoto (upgrade)

Congrats, all capable strobes and the Einstein should do well for you. Fast flash duration too if you're doing anything with motion.

Aug 22, 2013 at 09:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

hatch1921
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Einstein vs Profoto (upgrade)

Gregg Heckler wrote:
I just wanted to add that I use both a Ranger and RX-600's with a portable power source. The Ranger and the Quadra are so much more portable and convenient. Especially if you do need 1,000 watts or more. For outdoor use a big heavymonolight like that is a lot of weight to put up on a stand. The portable strobe heads are much lighter and the pack acts as a weight for your stand.

+1 IMO you can't go wrong with either setup Gregg mentioned. Fantastic systems all around.

Hatch

*** Just read you purchased the Einstein... nice setup as well. Congrats ****

Aug 29, 2013 at 06:58 PM
osmondphoto

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Einstein vs Profoto (upgrade)

If your end goal is being a pro photographer why dont you save up for the profoto?
I shot bunch of stuff on alien bees, although i hate them with passion, its still making me great images.

Consider D1, if you are not gonna get a ringflash, and have some beefy stand.

Oct 01, 2013 at 04:35 AM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Einstein vs Profoto (upgrade)

Elinchrom Rangers are amazing, FYI. And very easy to adjust the power from your camera if you have a TT1/TT5 with AC3 on top. Combined with a PocketWizard ST4 on the Ranger battery and it can TTL auto-adjust on the power when you change your speed (great for HSS up to about 1/4000 usually before you might constantly notice a slight band).

Can also switch the lighting to manual on the AC3 and adjust the power by 1/10 stop increments.

Never tried Profoto... but only thing about the Ranger I would like improved is the battery weight (listed at about 18 lbs. but feels like 30+ after a while considering the heads and other light modifiers.)

But yeah, for modifiers Paul C. Buff has parabolic umbrellas and they also sell the Elinchrom adapter ring... and the octobox and the other softboxes from Elinchrom are pretty neat too.

Oct 04, 2013 at 02:06 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Einstein vs Profoto (upgrade)

I would not recommend the elinchrom lights over the paul buff einsteins. Granted, I was using the BXRI-500 units, not the rangers but there were huge quality control problems including repeated cases where the units wouldn't fire and the worst thing was that 3 of them burned up. Circuit boards melted. This was caused by using them in a beauty dish. I was told by elinchrom that the beauty dish usage was improper (whatever that means) and that if I continued using them in a dish they would no longer be able to fix under warranty. Turnaround time was about a month for the repairs.

That was enough for me. I sold them at a loss, bought the einsteins and haven't looked back. The einsteins have a much better range 2.5ws up to 600.

The cyber commander has a ton of functionality though it's sometimes a bit difficult to use in the field because of the LCD panel.

Buff absolutely stands behind their products and can turn something around in a couple days.

Profoto is a different animal altogether and I have no idea how their field support is but I doubt anyone's support in the USA is close to buff.

Oct 10, 2013 at 02:47 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Einstein vs Profoto (upgrade)

I've shot strobe lighting since 1979. Owned everything from Eli's to ProFoto, and Paul C stuff along those years. Honestly...

The issues are just too dam long to go into about why I bailed out of both Eli and my 8a airs.. I will say that repair times and costs were a major major factor.. Everyone is you're friend until the rent is due..

I've moved on to Buff's E640's with a few mini vags.. And if I need to power up an entire graduating class a mile wide.. I throw more lights and bigger silver on them. But I've never looked back and.. In all of those years, have to tell you, never really more satisfied with my lights.

That's just one guy with 100,000's of images opinion.

Oct 22, 2013 at 06:04 AM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Einstein vs Profoto (upgrade)

Oddly enough, I know more people going Profoto to Einstein because the economy is so bad and people are making less money. The Einsteins are far from perfect but their light quality for the price is pretty darn good. That said, if you have the means to pay for the Profotos, they are a huge improvement from a usability standpoint over the Einsteins. Although, for the price of 2-3 Einsteins, you will have 1 Profoto.

Oct 30, 2013 at 01:17 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Einstein vs Profoto (upgrade)

cineski wrote:
Oddly enough, I know more people going Profoto to Einstein because the economy is so bad and people are making less money. The Einsteins are far from perfect but their light quality for the price is pretty darn good. That said, if you have the means to pay for the Profotos, they are a huge improvement from a usability standpoint over the Einsteins. Although, for the price of 2-3 Einsteins, you will have 1 Profoto.

I get that they are high quality but how are they a huge improvement from a usability standpoint?

Oct 30, 2013 at 02:22 PM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Einstein vs Profoto (upgrade)

Profoto heads have a more robust build. They have more power. Are available in rental houses across the world - so if you travel for a job you don't need to lug your gear. Their modifier system is far superior in terms of supporting heavy modifiers and they rarely have issues. Einsteins are good lights. Paul offers most the bang for your buck, but if you shoot on location a lot or move your lights frequently, the Profoto will easily keep pace with your hectic shooting schedule.

Oct 30, 2013 at 03:19 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Einstein vs Profoto (upgrade)

Deezie wrote:
Profoto heads have a more robust build. They have more power. Are available in rental houses across the world - so if you travel for a job you don't need to lug your gear. Their modifier system is far superior in terms of supporting heavy modifiers and they rarely have issues. Einsteins are good lights. Paul offers most the bang for your buck, but if you shoot on location a lot or move your lights frequently, the Profoto will easily keep pace with your hectic shooting schedule.

but if you shoot in the USA, the einsteins are more prolific, there are more modifiers available and they are easier to obtain. Alien bees are everywhere and if you need to augment your setup or add additional lights for a shoot they are available and cheap. And many photographers who use profoto are using alien bees in the field!

Oct 30, 2013 at 03:55 PM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Einstein vs Profoto (upgrade)

Paul probably sells a lot of lights, but no one monitors who sells the most gear. I spoke with Profoto about this a couple years ago and they had no clue what their market share is. Paul has a private company and has no obligation to release his financials to shareholders.

There are not more Einstein modifiers available than any other manufacturer. Almost every brand can use third party modifiers with the appropriate speed ring, be it Mola, Photoflex, Chimera, you name it. I'm a Profoto owner and used to own Alien Bees - and I really liked them. They have a small footprint, are easy to use, inexpensive and a lot of features. But they had plenty of cons to go with the pros. I much prefer Profoto for the way in which I personally shoot. Monolights have their place. My personal favorites were the old Hensel Integra's. They were built like tanks, yet still light-weight and they worked for years without a single issue. I regret having sold them.

Oct 31, 2013 at 02:55 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password