Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Pre-Wedding Shooting - asking for harsh C&C

heikoM
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pre-Wedding Shooting - asking for harsh C&C

Hi guys,

had some really nice light at my last engagement-session. I had some difficulties to show the bride-to-be in her best angle. I find this especially difficult when doing a more relaxed approach, means, just directing/PJ, no real posing.

Tell me what you think, especially what I can improve...

thanks,

heiko

Aug 20, 2013 at 08:23 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pre-Wedding Shooting - asking for harsh C&C

Hi Heiko,
The guy just looks tired and not into it at all. He just feels grumpy and not wanting to be there. Especially in #2, 3, 11, 12 and 13.

Aug 20, 2013 at 08:38 PM
Ziffl3
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pre-Wedding Shooting - asking for harsh C&C

Given the situation ... Look like you did pretty good.

Aug 20, 2013 at 08:41 PM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pre-Wedding Shooting - asking for harsh C&C

Agreed with Sunny, you did it a great job capturing the images but that guys looks like he is ready to hit the road.

Aug 20, 2013 at 08:43 PM
awad
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pre-Wedding Shooting - asking for harsh C&C

Posing wise, personally, i don't like putting the woman above/behind the man like in #8 & #12, it puts the man in an effeminate position and doesn't work in my opinion.

also one thing to avoid with larger couples, is to shoot below them. Shooting above them and having them look up at the camera a bit is a lot more slimming. Whenever I shoot bigger couples, I put the camera in live view and raise it up higher than my normal 6'2 eye level. That allows you to get nice and close and make the photos a lot more flattering. Like number 3 for example, where they're sitting. if you would have came up behind him and above her and shot down at her while she looked at you or nuzzled into him, it'd be a much stronger image. while still being flattering.

But overall, nice job. some great light.

Aug 20, 2013 at 08:48 PM
heikoM
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pre-Wedding Shooting - asking for harsh C&C

thanks for your input so far.
Regarding placing him in front of her was mainly to "block" her, if you know what I mean...

heiko

Aug 20, 2013 at 08:52 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pre-Wedding Shooting - asking for harsh C&C

You used several good tricks. Careful about doing too many with the bottom half of them cut off -- it makes sense a couple of times, but after several such images, it becomes evident you're doing that to conceal part(s) of the subjects.

I agree with Sunny that the guy's expression is a problem for you -- you should have done something to get him to appear 1) interested, or 2) cheerful. He appears a little bit resentful in several of these images.

In the first image, she is facing almost squarely toward the camera, and you have her in broad lighting (lighting the side of the face closest to the camera), which makes subjects appear larger. In that location, to get short lighting, you could leave the light close to where it is, move the guy to the camera-left side of her (without casting her into shadow), and move yourself near the wall camera right. Then, if she was facing the same direction as in the photo, the lit side of her face would be away, and that would help the appearance. Not sure it would be a lovely photo in that specific instance, but it's an example. You've used broad lighting in a few other images in this set where you're using OCF, and in each case, you probably would have benefited from rearranging subjects and lights and yourself so that the light was hitting the far side of her face.

Aug 20, 2013 at 08:54 PM
heikoM
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pre-Wedding Shooting - asking for harsh C&C

Ian, that is very helpful. I did not pose in that way though. Just said, like, what you guys thinking, stand over there and do your thing. Maybe I should change the approach in such circumstances...

heiko

Aug 20, 2013 at 09:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

widjayaman
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Pre-Wedding Shooting - asking for harsh C&C

Ian's comment is spot on. Overall I think you did well, but the groom's expression is the largest issue.

Also what's the deal with the umbrella? Looks like a perfect sunny evening to me, the umbrella doesn't make much sense.

Finally, it seems like the white balance is a bit inconsistent on a few of them.

Good job trying to conceal the unflattering parts of the couple, having done a few of these myself I know how difficult this can be!

Aug 20, 2013 at 09:02 PM
heikoM
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Pre-Wedding Shooting - asking for harsh C&C

Oh, it was raining the whole day, just cleared in the evening, but in the beginning it started raining again for afew minutes. On my closer shots you could see the raindrops on the umprella, not in this one though.

heiko

Aug 20, 2013 at 09:10 PM
scot1

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Pre-Wedding Shooting - asking for harsh C&C

Looks like a tough shoot.

I might have stopped it and said to the guy "I can tell you are not enjoying this. What's up? What can I do to help you have more fun on this shoot". Or something like that. Honestly, as other have commented, he ruined the shoot. I think if he looked into it more and was trying a little harder some great expressions would have made this shoot 100X better. The light is great and you have some good compositions. I think they needed some good direction/ideas. I have found when I do the "do your own thing" approach, the couple tend to just stand together and talk and do much of nothing. That is what it looks like here.

Aug 20, 2013 at 09:33 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Pre-Wedding Shooting - asking for harsh C&C

Hi,

I won't repeat what people have already said. For what is worth, I learned a few things myself.

One thing I'd say though is that the contrast is a bit rough in a few pics, shadows being too deep while highlights being well placed.

Hope that helps..

Aug 20, 2013 at 09:54 PM
heikoM
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Pre-Wedding Shooting - asking for harsh C&C

hm, should I put this one also in the blogpost, just to show that he was not in such a bad mood? Is not a special pic though.

what do you think?

heiko

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:14 PM
scot1

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Pre-Wedding Shooting - asking for harsh C&C

what a difference a smile makes! I don't think this shot does her any favors however. Maybe just crop it so it's him only.

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Pre-Wedding Shooting - asking for harsh C&C

maybe copy paste that smile to the rest of his pics what a difference his smile makes.

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:41 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Pre-Wedding Shooting - asking for harsh C&C

Yes, given the balance in the set as you posted it originally, this one adds value.

Aug 21, 2013 at 03:06 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password