Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6       7       end

Archive 2013 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

BenV
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

MMcGrath wrote:
Has anyone tried this lens on an APS-H (1DIV) sensor?

If so, do you have a link to some example images?

How
Much extra FOV is gained shooting at 14mm compared with the 17-40 I currently have?

3mm. Roughly 18% increase in field of view.

Aug 28, 2013 at 02:41 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

MMcGrath wrote:
Has anyone tried this lens on an APS-H (1DIV) sensor?

If so, do you have a link to some example images?

How
Much extra FOV is gained shooting at 14mm compared with the 17-40 I currently have?

As the previous posting mentions, you'll gain a considerable amount of image border areas with the 14mm.

Here's a thread on the 17TSE where you'll find comparison with 14 Samyang and 16-35L II (16mm). That should give you a pretty clear idea how much real estate is gained or lost with these focal lengths/AOVs.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1208037/0?keyword=17,TS-E#11510442

And, yes, I've shot with APS-H sensor, but no examples are handy. APS-H 14mm AOV = 18.2mm on FF cameras. (Canon 1.6X APS-C 14mm AOV = 22.4mm)

Aug 28, 2013 at 03:04 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

The diagonal AOV goes from 104 deg for 17mm to 114 deg for 14mm, and the horizontal AOV goes from 93 deg to 104 deg. Both increases in AOV are about 10%.

Aug 28, 2013 at 04:59 PM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

The lens has arrived. Focus field is pretty flat, no decentering. Contrast is fair wide open, gets better stopped down a bit.

Not much time tonight to give it a thorough test, but I will say one thing - Dang, it's wide!

Aug 28, 2013 at 08:43 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

Tom_W wrote:
... Dang, it's wide!

Yes, it is. You gotta be careful not to get your toes in the photo. Unless it's on purpose.

Aug 28, 2013 at 08:50 PM
iskraII
• •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

Just got my copy tonight. Love it. On the box, it says "superultra-wide fisheye lens"

Aug 29, 2013 at 02:58 AM
dgdg
• • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

jcolwell wrote:
Yes, it is. You gotta be careful not to get your toes in the photo. Unless it's on purpose.

yup, shadows too if you aren't very low to the ground. cable release or timer helps.

Aug 29, 2013 at 03:01 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

Mine isn't set to arrive until Tuesday, I was hoping to have it before the weekend. Oh well.

Aug 29, 2013 at 03:21 PM
lighthawk
• •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

Got it! The brown truck pulled up and brought me some joy!

Quick inspection : All looks good. Funky cap, and silly bag, but those are extraneous.
Someone asked if the Bower was UMC and it is. Mounted on my 6D, the AE appears to work, but manual click-click aperture ring and long throw MF focus ring are the other controls.

The unit feels solid and is a lot smaller than my Sigma 12-24. LR shows shutter speed and iso only. There is no focus confirmation in the camera.

Did a couple of grab shots at f8 and everything looks pretty sharp. The extreme corners are a little smeary, but I doubt there's much to do for that. LR does not have a profile, but I will research PTLens which most people seem to favor.

Aug 29, 2013 at 09:38 PM
bhollis

p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

lighthawk wrote:
Got it! The brown truck pulled up and brought me some joy!

Quick inspection : All looks good. Funky cap, and silly bag, but those are extraneous.
Someone asked if the Bower was UMC and it is. Mounted on my 6D, the AE appears to work, but manual click-click aperture ring and long throw MF focus ring are the other controls.

The unit feels solid and is a lot smaller than my Sigma 12-24. LR shows shutter speed and iso only. There is no focus confirmation in the camera.

Did a couple of grab shots at f8 and everything looks pretty sharp.
...Show more

Adobe Lens Profile Downloader has a profile for the Samyang version, which works for the Bower. See post earlier in this thread.

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

lighthawk
• •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

Fred Miranda wrote:
Right-click on the link and choose "Save linked File as...". This profile works on PC and Mac.

Got the lens, and am trying to install the profile. I've 'right-clicked' and saved the file as named in the Library on my MBP. Quit and restarted LR4, but it's not finding the new profile. I've tried the user>library and the root>library, but still am getting nowhere.

Any suggestions?

Aug 30, 2013 at 05:45 AM
phuang3
• • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

Got the lens, and am trying to install the profile. I've 'right-clicked' and saved the file as named in the Library on my MBP. Quit and restarted LR4, but it's not finding the new profile. I've tried the user>library and the root>library, but still am getting nowhere.

Any suggestions?

Use Adobe Lens Profile Downloader to install profile. Read the previous post by Fred Miranda.

BTW, I installed the correct profile and has applied on LR. It does correct 90% of the weird distortion but there is still some remains (moustachioed & barrel distortion). I wonder if anyone can create a better profile for this lens.

Aug 30, 2013 at 08:12 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

Just ordered one. Thanks Fred. Thanks for making me spend more money!

Also thanks to everyone for the processing discussion. It will really help.

Is PT Lens better than LR or PS ACR for distortion correction?

Aug 30, 2013 at 08:34 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

corndog wrote:
I can confirm the aperture is controlled in camera on the Nikon version. On the Nikon and Pentax, you can see the aperture number painted red where you set it to for camera control. I'd have sworn the Canon version at least had AF confirm built in, but I guess not? Kinda strange.

That is strange.
Does anyone know why focus confirm chip can be purchased on Nikon versions, but not Canon?

This guy reviews his process to buy & install the chip: http://feedthewant.com/blog/2012/8/1/installing-a-focus-confirmation-chip.html

Aug 30, 2013 at 08:51 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

jcolwell wrote:

Or your other dangly thing.

Aug 30, 2013 at 09:11 AM
Invertalon
• • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

I decided to pick one up again... Had a Bell + Howell version for years and loved it. Sold it for some stupid reason and tried (2) other Rokinon's when on sale and both were decentered. I decided to try once more with this B&H sale going on, hopefully I get a good copy this time. It really is an incredible lens for the price. Even for as cheap as the construction is, I used it 2-solid years and was still in perfect condition. Just don't drop it or abuse it and it will last. Much like 50 1.8's.

Aug 30, 2013 at 03:07 PM
Mitchell Carter
• • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

phuang3 wrote:

Any suggestions?

Phuang: I had the same trouble as you (MBP, LR) but was able to manually install a profile.

Here's a page with a Samyang profile and install instructions for Mac:
http://joopsnijder.blogspot.com/2012/03/lightroom-lens-profile-for-samyang-14.html

The install instructions on that page didn't work for me, though. So I put it inside the LR application and all's well:

1. Left-click the LR application and Show Package Contents.

2. Put the .lcp file here: /Contents/Resources/LensProfiles/1.0/Canon
(LR4 & LR5 have the same path)

Sep 06, 2013 at 03:34 AM
Invertalon
• • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

Got my lens from B&H... Optically, it is flawless. No decentering at all and the sharpest one I have used (3 now). Very happy in that regard.

Out of the box the focus ring had weird resistance but feels better after some use. Rotates smoothly now. The only thing is a slight *stick* that happens when you initially spin the focus ring after the lens sits a little. Does not happen otherwise. Very strange lol... Almost like lubricant gumming up after sitting. Best way I can explain it! Does not matter where the focus ring is location wise. It is super slight though, but just something I noticed. It may go away with more use.

I am happy though... Glad to have this lens in my bag again.

Sep 06, 2013 at 06:02 AM
phuang3
• • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

Mitchell Carter wrote:
Phuang: I had the same trouble as you (MBP, LR) but was able to manually install a profile.

Here's a page with a Samyang profile and install instructions for Mac:
http://joopsnijder.blogspot.com/2012/03/lightroom-lens-profile-for-samyang-14.html

The install instructions on that page didn't work for me, though. So I put it inside the LR application and all's well:

1. Left-click the LR application and Show Package Contents.

2. Put the .lcp file here: /Contents/Resources/LensProfiles/1.0/Canon
(LR4 & LR5 have the same path)

Mitchell,

I'm fine with the profile. I think all the profiles do work to some extend. It turns out we need profiles for various focus distance, since the distortion varies with it. Many profiles are created for infinity focus only, they will not fully correct the MFD image.

Sep 09, 2013 at 12:59 AM
Scott Grant
• • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

mine showed up yesterday. I think this is the best $300 i've ever spent on camera gear!

thanks for the link Fred!

Sep 10, 2013 at 02:05 PM
       6       7       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

6       7       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password