Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       7       end

Archive 2013 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

corndog wrote:
If you would, please let us know whether or not your lens is the UMC version as shown in the product photo.

I'm sure it is the UMC. I got in the same deal on it from B&H last year and it was already UMC then.

Aug 22, 2013 at 11:32 PM
phuang3
• • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

It got to be UMC version. I don't think they will maintain two product lines for such a low cost lens. Making things more complicated.

Aug 23, 2013 at 03:21 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

They are all the same lens, so it's definitely UMC, ED, IF etc. Old version was quickly replaced.

Aug 23, 2013 at 03:31 AM
corndog
• • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

I might be confused, are there no contacts on the Canon version? The Nikon version, and I think Pentax, have contacts and the aperture can be controlled electronically.

Aug 23, 2013 at 06:12 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

corndog wrote:
I might be confused, are there no contacts on the Canon version? The Nikon version, and I think Pentax, have contacts and the aperture can be controlled electronically.

that is correct. it is a manual aperture, manual focus lens. you can purchase a focus confirmation chip which allows you to program in the focal length in the exif, and gives you focus confirmation, but no aperture control. I believe the nikon one, the contacts does the same. I dont believe it controls the aperture.

Aug 23, 2013 at 06:17 AM
corndog
• • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

I can confirm the aperture is controlled in camera on the Nikon version. On the Nikon and Pentax, you can see the aperture number painted red where you set it to for camera control. I'd have sworn the Canon version at least had AF confirm built in, but I guess not? Kinda strange.

Aug 23, 2013 at 06:23 AM
bhollis

p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

Just got mine in the mail. Looks identical to the Samyang and Rokinon versions--including the "UMC" marking--with the exception that it says Bower.

Looks reasonably well built with a well damped focus ring. Aperture ring looks and feels a little plasticy, but what can I expect for $299.

Raining today, but hope to get out and test it tomorrow.

Aug 24, 2013 at 08:32 PM
lighthawk
• •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

Well, I'm feeling a little better, IF it is indeed the same lens.
I jumped, perhaps too quickly, on the $299 deal when Fred put out the word.

BH has this to say about the Bower:

"
- Optimized for APS-C Size Sensors

* Note: Though this lens will cover the imaging sensor of a full-frame DSLR, it is better optimized for use with DSLRs containing smaller APS-C format sensors. As such you might notice softer focus and some light fall-off towards the edges of the frame when using a full-frame DSLR. If you do plan on using this lens with a full-frame DSLR we recommend you set the lens no wider (faster) than f/8 for optimum image quality."

And more vaguely about the Rokinon:

"The 14mm Ultra Wide-Angle f/2.8 IF ED UMC Lens For Canon from Rokinon gives you approximately a 115 view with dramatic results when used with a full frame digital camera or 35mm film camera. With hybrid aspherical lenses, you will produce sharply defined images with a minimum of distortion and chromatic aberrations. This manual focus 14mm lens focuses as close as 0.9' (28 cm) from the the lens, and has a built-in petal-type lens hood. With some cameras, Shutter Lock must be disengaged on the camera's menu."

I have the Bower being shipped now, but hope I haven't made a mistake for the sake of $40 bucks.
My primary usage will be with the 6D, so FF. I may use it with the 7D, but that is not my reason for buying the lens.

I know B&H has a great return policy, so after I test the new Bower, if I'm not satisfied, I'll probably go the Rokinon route. Unless someone can convince me these truly are the same manufacture.

Aug 25, 2013 at 04:04 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

lighthawk wrote:
Well, I'm feeling a little better, IF it is indeed the same lens.
I jumped, perhaps too quickly, on the $299 deal when Fred put out the word.

BH has this to say about the Bower:

"
- Optimized for APS-C Size Sensors

* Note: Though this lens will cover the imaging sensor of a full-frame DSLR, it is better optimized for use with DSLRs containing smaller APS-C format sensors. As such you might notice softer focus and some light fall-off towards the edges of the frame when using a full-frame DSLR. If you do plan on using this lens with a full-frame DSLR we
...Show more

No, trust us, it is more optimized for FF than many a FF lens. And yes it is exactly the same as the Samyang and Rokinon. Samyang/Bower/Rokinon all the same thing. Bower and Rokinon sell Samyang's lenses for them under their own label. They are completely the same though.
I got mine from the exact same deal that was posted here a year ago. B&H. Bower. 14mm. It is much sharper at the edges than any 24-105L I ever tried on FF. It's 100% identical to the Samayng 14mm and the same goes for the Rokinon.

Aug 25, 2013 at 05:24 AM
lighthawk
• •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

Thanks Skibum

I really do value the opinions of the community here at FM.
It's just weird that B&H tries to differentiate the lenses on the site.

Looking forward to testing this copy to make sure it's a good one too.
Seems like most folks recommend 'infinity testing' for UWA
Since infinity can be anything >3m, I'll be looking for a bridge or similar where the edges are all
at infinity.

Hope this isn't a highjack, but does anyone have suggestions on testing a UWA, specifically the 14mm?

Aug 25, 2013 at 04:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Invertalon
• • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

Focus at hyperfocal, f/8 and check for even sharpness across the frame. I had two in a row that were decentered on the right side. I wish I kept my original which was flawless... Used it for years. Sold it to switch lenses around but when I went to buy it back had bad luck.

My only negative with the lens is color rendition. I always found it was cool and at times, hard to color correct.

Aug 25, 2013 at 08:30 PM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

I just ordered one of these contraptions from B&H. I will give it a very careful test before I decide to keep it.

It's hard to pass up a $300 ultrawide lens. Heck, I couldn't even pass up the 40/2.8 pancake when it came out!

Aug 25, 2013 at 11:15 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

The chipped version is also $299 now!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/880768-REG/Bower_sly1428ae_14mm_f_2_8_For_Nikon.html

Aug 26, 2013 at 02:48 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

BenV wrote:
The chipped version is also $299 now!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/880768-REG/Bower_sly1428ae_14mm_f_2_8_For_Nikon.html

Only for Nikon

Aug 26, 2013 at 06:46 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

skibum5 wrote:
Only for Nikon

That sucks. I got one coming in though

Aug 27, 2013 at 01:28 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

lighthawk -- Since you mention testing: No one has mentioned yet that the distance scale is no more than an "advisory" regarding accuracy. There is far more than enough throw to find (and go beyond) infinity. Be careful approaching the actual distance vs. the marked distance, and be prepared to use a masking tape overlay to make your own specific markings of distances.

It's a great lens and pretty amazing for the cost. I love mine.

I just don't what new buyers upset and going, "WTF!" when they try it.

Aug 27, 2013 at 02:25 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

Gunzorro wrote:
lighthawk -- Since you mention testing: No one has mentioned yet that the distance scale is no more than an "advisory" regarding accuracy. There is far more than enough throw to find (and go beyond) infinity. Be careful approaching the actual distance vs. the marked distance, and be prepared to use a masking tape overlay to make your own specific markings of distances.

It's a great lens and pretty amazing for the cost. I love mine.

I just don't what new buyers upset and going, "WTF!" when they try it.

Yeah I guess it depends. On mine infinity is infinity, even a mm less turn and it doesn't focus on far distant stuff fully.
Some has to be body tolerance too (of course I hope the next body is able to hit infinity....).

Aug 27, 2013 at 07:35 PM
lighthawk
• •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

skibum5 wrote:
Yeah I guess it depends. On mine infinity is infinity, even a mm less turn and it doesn't focus on far distant stuff fully.
Some has to be body tolerance too (of course I hope the next body is able to hit infinity....).

Thanks guys. I've read up on the distance scale vs. reality for the 14mm, so I'm prepared to do something like Gunzorro. I am also going to do some testing to see that I am starting with a decent copy. I think I'll try a test I read about on Photozone http://forum.photozone.de/index.php?/topic/830-do-it-yourself-centering-sanity-check, as well as some real life shots to check infinity focus.

The more I think about the scenics I plan to do, the more excited I am to receive the lens.
There's been some great shotsin this thread to inspire.

Edited on Aug 27, 2013 at 08:30 PM · View previous versions

Aug 27, 2013 at 08:25 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

The infinity stop was way off on my Samyang 14/2.8 UMC, when I bought it new in May 2011. I took it into my local camera repair shop for adjustment, and it's been spot-on ever since. Cost me about $35.

Aug 27, 2013 at 08:28 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

Has anyone tried this lens on an APS-H (1DIV) sensor?

If so, do you have a link to some example images?

How
Much extra FOV is gained shooting at 14mm compared with the 17-40 I currently have?

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:30 PM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password