FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              6       7       end

Archive 2013 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

voltaire
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

Just ordered one. Hopefully, I'll get a good copy from BH.

Thanks for posting the lightroom lens correction profile, Fred.

Aug 21, 2013 at 01:53 PM
py2000
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

Fred Miranda wrote:
Here is a Samyang 14mm distortion correction Lightroom lens profile that works quite well and it's free:
http://www.photo-worx.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=49

Can the profile be used in photoshop?

Aug 21, 2013 at 01:56 PM
voltaire
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

I get code when I tried to click on it from a Mac. Is this PC based solution only? Can someone please help? I appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 21, 2013 at 03:05 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

voltaire wrote:

I get code when I tried to click on it from a Mac. Is this PC based solution only? Can someone please help? I appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Right-click on the link and choose "Save linked File as...". This profile works on PC and Mac.

Aug 21, 2013 at 04:51 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

the profile is for 5d2, and not 5d3 unfortunately. i dont know how to do this with 5d3 from LR.
I started a thread on this on POTN, images of rokinon. I ended up with two copies of this lens, and both performed very well, but I know of one person, who has repeatedly posted about the terrible copy that he had.
One of the guys the used to post on landscape forum, who recently switched to Nikon, used to post stunning images with this lens.

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:42 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

kevindar wrote:
the profile is for 5d2, and not 5d3 unfortunately. i dont know how to do this with 5d3 from LR.
I started a thread on this on POTN, images of rokinon. I ended up with two copies of this lens, and both performed very well, but I know of one person, who has repeatedly posted about the terrible copy that he had.
One of the guys the used to post on landscape forum, who recently switched to Nikon, used to post stunning images with this lens.

I haven't tried it yet, but I imagine there must be a way to force it to load. So long as the profile is for FF I don't see why it would matter (unless Adobe's profile are hard-coded to pixels for some odd reason).

Aug 21, 2013 at 11:56 PM
corndog
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

unravel wrote:
is this the UMC version? confused

It does not appear, to me, that this sale is for the latest version even though UMC can be plainly seen in the image. Search the B&H site for "14mm UMC" and you will find the Rokinon version which has different specs from the Bower (angle of view and groups/elements). You will also see that the lenses labeled Rokinon UMC and Samyang UMC have identical specs.

Aug 22, 2013 at 12:42 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

skibum, if you find a way of forcing it let me know. for now, it does not allow me to use the profile (its not available.

Aug 22, 2013 at 12:47 AM
corndog
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

Try kissing its neck a little bit first...

Aug 22, 2013 at 01:05 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

kevindar wrote:
skibum, if you find a way of forcing it let me know. for now, it does not allow me to use the profile (its not available.

OK, I'll try it tomorrow and hope it works (for 5D3 AND Photoshop).

Aug 22, 2013 at 02:52 AM
unravel
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

corndog wrote:
It does not appear, to me, that this sale is for the latest version even though UMC can be plainly seen in the image. Search the B&H site for "14mm UMC" and you will find the Rokinon version which has different specs from the Bower (angle of view and groups/elements). You will also see that the lenses labeled Rokinon UMC and Samyang UMC have identical specs.

Interesting, anybody get theirs yet? Ordered it but this would be too bad. Good find though

Aug 22, 2013 at 06:45 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

kevindar wrote:

I can't seem to get it to work. I tried copying it to the two directories the instructions for Adobe Profile Creator say to copy them into. Nothing. I renamed the file Mark III instead of Mark II. Nothing. I renamed all the contents inside of the file from Mark II to Mark III. Nothing. I changed CameraRAW tag from False to True. Nothing. I changed the image size from 5D2 to 5D3 image size. Nothing.

I didn't try copying all or part of the ID key from a 5D3 profile over into though.

(it seems odd that the original file had the CameraRAW tag set to false)

Edited on Aug 22, 2013 at 03:31 PM · View previous versions

Aug 22, 2013 at 03:23 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

Looking inside the profiles that ship with Adobe it seems to only list Mark II ones so it seems like would just automatically use them for Mark III as well?

It seems like the profile provided in the link above is a profile only for in cam JPG shots?? It says Camera RAW=False inside the file. Maybe that is why it won't work? (simply changing it to True doesn't seem to help)

Maybe you need to reboot to make Adobe rebuild lens database?

Aug 22, 2013 at 03:39 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

OK, I got the profile posted here to work.

I put it in the wrong directory and you do need to rename the RAW flag inside the file to True.

So it needs to go into "Users/main/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/CameraRaw/LensProfiles/1.0/Canon". (at least for Photoshop/ACR users)

Make sure that it doesn't go into the 1.0 directory itself or into a "Samyang" directory as I had been trying. You need to toss it into the Canon directory since that means Canon bodies, not Canon lenses as it turns out.

Once it is there you need to open the file in WordPad and change the entry "<stCamera:CameraRawProfile>False</stCamera:CameraRawProfile>" to "<stCamera:CameraRawProfile>True</stCamera:CameraRawProfile>".

Then it works. It has no vignetting correction.

I'm not sure if there is anything less than ideal about converting a JPG profile into a RAW profile, but it seems to work.

Aug 22, 2013 at 03:56 PM
lighthawk
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

Slight typo, Fred ".../downlaod/..."

Try http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5492

Thanks for the heads up on the sale, too. I ordered from B&H and will be trying it out on my 6D soon.

Andy

Aug 22, 2013 at 04:59 PM
corndog
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

lighthawk wrote:
Thanks for the heads up on the sale, too. I ordered from B&H and will be trying it out on my 6D soon.

If you would, please let us know whether or not your lens is the UMC version as shown in the product photo.

Aug 22, 2013 at 05:09 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

I got it to work also. thanks

Aug 22, 2013 at 05:49 PM
lighthawk
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

corndog wrote:
If you would, please let us know whether or not your lens is the UMC version as shown in the product photo.

Will do. I should have it by Wednesday, next week.

Aug 22, 2013 at 06:02 PM
voltaire
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

Thanks, Fred and all those who showed me how to download. I appreciate it. I ordered through the FM site so hopefully, FM will get brownie points from B&H. :-)

Love this site.

Aug 22, 2013 at 06:13 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Lens for $299 shipped

corndog wrote:

I'm sure it is the UMC. I got in the same deal on it from B&H last year and it was already UMC then.

Aug 22, 2013 at 06:32 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.