Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Product Photography

Bsmooth
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Product Photography

Wasn't sure where to put this, but its for PC board images.i do these at work pretty much on a daily basis. Right now we use a Canon PowerShot 720IS, which does an OK job, but the center is in good focus and towards the edges it gets fuzzier rapidly. I've tried zooming in to stop some of the problems using a wide angle lens setting, but then I lose the ability to use the macro setting. Tried going up to an aperture of 7.1 for more depth of field, and that helped a bit, but shutter lengths were getting a bit long.
I'd send an image, but most of the material is classified.
Most of the time its freehand, or If I can I rest my hand on a plastic tote case, I know its not ideal, but it does help.
It amazes me, the high tech of what we make, and the contractual requirements that the customers have, and how little we do to go to any lengths to make half decent images.
So any people out there who have done this type of work?What type of cameras do you use?what lenses would be best for what I need?

Aug 20, 2013 at 01:31 PM
Sami Ruusunen
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Product Photography

For product photography lighting is much more important than the camera used. Couple of external flashes is a good start.

edit: cheapest way is to make a simple lightbox from cardboard box (google: DIY lightbox) but you still need some external light

Aug 20, 2013 at 02:04 PM
MalbikEndar
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Product Photography

OP has trouble getting the entire object in the image and in good focus.

A relatively cheap way to do this is with a low-end DSLR (D3200), a macro lens, and an inexpensive tripod. You may be able to improvise lighting with things you have around the shop.

Aug 20, 2013 at 03:37 PM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Product Photography

Your quite right about lighting, I had seen some images online thet were quite good. So I did a bit of reading online and made one out of 1/2" pvc pipe, and an old sheet. It works very well, but that was just playing around at home.
Its just the camera i happen to be using isn't the latest and I wondered If there was something that did a better job of keeping things in focus, even a specialized camera, so I don't get the distortion at the edges and light falloff.

Aug 20, 2013 at 04:54 PM
Sami Ruusunen
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Product Photography

Any modern dslr with kit lens will do fine for basic product photography. Just shoot well stopped down f8-f16 so you get enough dof and sharp corners. If your shutter times get too long to get the exposure right you just need tripod or more light. Tripod also helps when using the live-view for precise focusing.

Many kit lenses focus pretty close so unless your subject is very small you should be fine. Modern dslrs have enough resolution so you can crop pretty heavily unless you need to make large prints.

Aug 20, 2013 at 07:57 PM
aborr
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Product Photography

You say that you are shooting PCBs - I'm guessing you need to document the
parts layout.

1. Use a tripod. It will make it much easier to ensure that you're square to the board in
order to get the whole image in focus. The depth of field is quite small at close focus distances. You want to position the camera so that as much as possible of the
'subject' is close to the plane of focus and you want to be sure the distance to the board doesn't change even a small amount between the time you focus and the time the image is made.

2. Get a camera with interchangeable lenses. Any basic DSLR will probably be OK, but
don't skimp on the lens: Buy a dedicated macro lens for it. A macro lens is designed to give its best
results at close focus distances. It is also designed to have a 'flat field of focus' - meaning that when
you aim at an essentially flat subject like a PCB, when the center of the board is in focus, the edges
will also be in focus.

Google 'field curvature' for a more complete explanation. It's the main reason why
the lens on you Powershot gave you out-of-focus edges when you tried to shoot PCBs. Field curvature is generally more pronounced with wide angle lenses than with longer focal lengths, so shooting at a 'wide' setting on your zoom makes the problem worse.)

Al

Aug 21, 2013 at 08:14 AM
peter_n
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Product Photography

A tripod, some lighting and a small aperture on a macro lens (f11 or f16) will improve your results as others have said. An aperture of f7.1 isn't going to do it for you especially with a DX (crop) camera.

For an inexpensive tripod you might want to consider one with an articulating center column such as the Benro A2970F. I have the twist lock version of this tripod and it's brilliant for product shots.

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Product Photography

So in other words, If I'm using a Pocket camera like the one I already have, its not going to get much better. As I said in the beginning, this company would never spring for a DSLR, never mind a half decent lens,
How about a mirrorless camera like an olympus EPL series camera? Cheap, around $100, then a lens which would probably do that idea in.

Aug 21, 2013 at 04:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

peter_n
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Product Photography

You can do it with a P&S and a kit lens. You will need an inexpensive tripod though so you can use a very small aperture like f11 or f16, then your corners should look good. Below is a pic of the tripod with the articulating arm and an example result, the camera is a Sony and the kit lens cost me $80 on this forum a few weeks ago. Just natural lighting from the windows, not the best. Your company could use a very simple setup like this all over the place, not just in a fabrication shop.

Aug 21, 2013 at 06:11 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Product Photography

Small cheap tripod, two desk lamps, a white piece of poster paper.

No DSLR or other fancy crap required.

Aug 21, 2013 at 09:15 PM
rico
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Product Photography

A PCB is easy enough to shoot, but gear is required. A good closeup lens with flat field allows a head-on shot with edge-to-edge focus, but greatest flexibility comes from a tilt/shift. That dictates a DSLR. Below is an image taken with a tilt/shift macro of 100mm, tilted, wide open @ f/4. Note that the entire board is in focus, but top of the chips are not. That's narrow DOF!

Same, but no tilt:

Stopped down with no tilt gets the top of chips in focus, but DOF cannot get the whole board in focus:

For best results of a planar object at some non-normal viewing angle, you need both tilt and a small aperture (for surface features).

Aug 22, 2013 at 05:45 AM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Product Photography

^ If you're struggling for DOF, why the hell would one shoot 100mm tilted at f/4? (edit - nevermind, I see it was an example series).

Also, the results don't dictate a DSLR. A small aperture on a P&S with a few focus stacks does just as well, though with maybe more work (but a lot less cost).

Aug 22, 2013 at 01:13 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Product Photography

since it's obviously 'commercial' (he's doing it for an employer), the 'lot less cost' thing may not be a big factor if it increases throughput.

Aug 22, 2013 at 02:22 PM
sorpa
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Product Photography

Rico that`s not fair
You didn`t mention THE lens.

Aug 27, 2013 at 06:42 PM
rico
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Product Photography

sorpa wrote:
Rico that`s not fair
You didn`t mention THE lens.

Heh. I do think any tilt lens of this FL should serve. Nothing wrong with the Canon TS-E 90/2.8, for example.

Aug 28, 2013 at 01:59 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password