Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Cokin Filters

tvman11

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cokin Filters

I know this has probably been kicked around before and I realize that quality of glass is paramount in photography but so are budgets. Most of all of us have an assortment of lenses and with that comes the need for filters. Now... I'm on a rather tight budget and I'm looking at buying a filter kit that is reasonably priced. I've been around for quite a while in photography but now is the time to get serious about it. I really like the idea of a square filter kit with a filter holder that you mount onto step rings and I know that colin makes just such a kit that is reasonable.

Can some tell me if I'm just wasting my time and money on a Cokin kit and is there something else out there that may be better but still budget friendly?

Aug 20, 2013 at 01:19 PM
Steve Perry
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cokin Filters

What types of filters are you planning to use?

If you're just looking to use something like a polarizer (the only filter I regularly use), I'd suggest getting the screw in variety. I personally find the square filters kind of a pain to use in the field. The only way I'd use square if I was still using split ND filters, but nowadays I blend the exposures in PS.

Aug 20, 2013 at 02:16 PM
tvman11

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cokin Filters

I hear ya... But I'd rather shoot for final image in the field and use Lightroom to tweak later. I came from a film background (B&W mostly) and we had to work entirely inside the camera. It's better and more efficient that way.

I'm looking at all sorts of filters like grads, NDs, polarizer, maybe a ProMist. My reason for the square filter kit is to keep from carrying lots of filters for my different sized lenses. Right now, I'm having to carry a bunch of filters and its a real pain, besides, they take up some of that precious space in the my bag. I'd rather find a way to streamline my kit and get the same results.

Aug 20, 2013 at 03:25 PM
georgms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cokin Filters

Wayne, I've got a set with 3 graduated ND-filters, the slim filter-holder and some adapter-rings (all in P-size). For my purposes it works fine (the P-size might be too small for some of your lenses).

Aug 20, 2013 at 03:31 PM
Justin Huffman
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cokin Filters

To your question, not a waste of time. Cokin has been around a long time and i think the filter quality is descent. Most togs start there, I still use the blue/yellow filter along with a lee system. Check out 2filter.com they sell hi-tech. its a nice combo of quality and price.
In the end, Steve Perry' advice is probably the best. Too many filters in the field just makes things a hassle. filter thread size, lens size, filter system.... just alot of extra work. HTH

Aug 20, 2013 at 05:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Steve Perry
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cokin Filters

tvman11 wrote:
I hear ya... But I'd rather shoot for final image in the field and use Lightroom to tweak later. I came from a film background (B&W mostly) and we had to work entirely inside the camera. It's better and more efficient that way.

I'm looking at all sorts of filters like grads, NDs, polarizer, maybe a ProMist. My reason for the square filter kit is to keep from carrying lots of filters for my different sized lenses. Right now, I'm having to carry a bunch of filters and its a real pain, besides, they take up some of that precious
...Show more

I understand. I came from film too - about 15 years worth, so I totally get what you mean by getting it right in the camera. However, digital sometimes allows you to get a better final image than you can get with strictly in-camera techniques (for example, blending helps to avoid things like dark tree tops with split NDs).

Other than straight ND or polarization, I can duplicate the effect of any other filter in PS - and if I don't like the image after a few months, I can go back and change it. Plus, there are a ton of different "filter" program plug ins available too that are likely cheaper than a nice set of Cokin filters. (Nik Color Efex, Topaz, OnOne to name a few.) Just my 2 cents and some food for thought.

In any case, I know everyone has a different style of shooting, and I know that some people don't like messing around with post processing (heck, some days I don't like it much either ). I just wanted to point out an alternative.

Aug 20, 2013 at 05:57 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cokin Filters

Hey Wayne,

I agree with Justin, it's not a waste of time at all. And as he said, most of us used Cokin when we started out. It's a cheap way to get your feet wet with ND Grads. As to Steve's point, I know I don't use ND grads as often as I used to. The greater Dynamic Range helps with that. But with that said, there are still some scenes where a ND grad really works like a charm and it is so cool to get the shot how you want it in the field.

Jim

Aug 20, 2013 at 08:45 PM
NygaardDK

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cokin Filters

I just bought a Cokin Z pro grad kit for at trip to Norway - they worked just fine, no complaints! Didn't do a lot of long exposures with multiple stacking, but had quite a few shorter ones with two filters stacked and I haven't noticed any color cast worth mentioning. Definately an upgrade over the P filters which quite often showed a quite noticable magenta/purple cast.

I'd love to have the Lee's, but for my use I can't justify the price difference.

Just my 2 cents :o)

Cheers!

Aug 20, 2013 at 08:58 PM
tvman11

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Cokin Filters

Thanks, Guys! I'll give it more thought. But I am leaning in this direction for ND and Grads.

Aug 21, 2013 at 06:23 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password