Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · New advertisement clip

yitzy

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New advertisement clip

Hi

What do you think of this new clip for our studio?

http://youtu.be/Y5Oa7oBVpf0

Yitzy

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:42 PM
_Rob_S_
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New advertisement clip

Very cool but I'd have to wonder who your target market is. To me, this would be great for pitching to art directors, producers and such but it doesn't have a very "touchy-feely" vibe that I think appeals to brides. Brides in my area don't care much about the gear and the setup, rather they are interested in the experience they will enjoy.

Certainly looks like an impressive studio though!

Rob

Aug 20, 2013 at 01:02 PM
TheGE
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New advertisement clip

Depends on the audience you want to reach to whom you want your message to mean something. You're selling your procedure, emphasizing the technical, so this would likely appeal more to those to whom those specs mean more. That may be the grooms or geeks.

You have film transport sound effects though you're shooting digital. But no one will notice except photographers. At :43, "constantly striving to implement new innovations" serves up an image of a guy standing full length, hands in pockets, 45% to the camera, feet in third position, split lit. Nothing innovative or new in that or the images preceding it or following. But again, no one will notice this mismatch except us.

And then I don't see any contact info until the very end. You're assuming people will watch the entire video.

I'd try again. I'd concentrate on one unique aspect. For example, the crane photography. Though it's not new (I was doing it seven years ago) I assume one doesn't see it much in your area, so you might want to play that up. Demonstrate why it's beneficial. Show gorgeous images which can only be created with a crane. And make it a one minute video. Attention spans are short.

Aug 20, 2013 at 01:12 PM
widjayaman
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New advertisement clip

I will kindly disagree with TheGE.. first of all to me it seems like the OP is running a very successful studio and has the exposure to the market he's aiming for.

The impressions I got from the promo are: high-end, large-scale, cinematic production, expensive, impersonal. There are plenty of (mainly high-end) clients who care about those and not about the 'personalized experience' we all tend to be selling (probably partly because most of the time it's just us running the business, ha)

So with that said if that is what you are aiming for, then you did well. I did notice what theGE mentioned about :43 with the groom, haha.

A couple of things that can be improved in my opinion:

* get rid of that animated border in the beginning and also the weird slide transition. Why not just use fades?

* I wish you could have mentioned the high-end end product. I didn't see any mention of all the gorgeous albums your clients are getting.

Thanks for sharing!

Aug 20, 2013 at 02:15 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New advertisement clip

I think it works for their market. We need to recognize they are in Israel and their culture is different than the USA. Makes the studio look very impressive and professional!

Aug 20, 2013 at 02:21 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New advertisement clip

I like the fact that you show the difference that good lighting makes- no way the "available light" crowd can argue w/ that. Showing high-end gear (D4, the strobes) will appeal to knowledgeable clients. Showing the editors makes it obvious that you're not a GWC doing this for fun. But I also agree that some parts of it are- eh, kind of dated.

Would love to see the revised version.

Aug 20, 2013 at 03:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New advertisement clip

This all looks slightly dated but I can really see it appealing to a target market. In my mind the parents paying for a really high end wedding would lap this up. It doesn't show personality or artistic flair all that well, what it does show though is that you're a really solid company. I could trust a very high end wedding to you and know you're not going to mess it up.

Aug 20, 2013 at 04:13 PM
MazeRunner
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New advertisement clip

The video's a big long in my taste. Think if it were shortened to a 30-second ad or two 30-second shorts it would be more effective. At longest, a 45 or 60 second clip.

Think about it along the following lines:
- If it takes 3 minutes to convey the message that your studio is high-end and sell the studio, then that means you're not selling the message well enough in the beginning.
- After the 3 minutes, where's the website information? Phone number?
- Do the people in Israel really care that much about post-production? I think skipping ahead to the final products would already demonstrate that your studio is professional (especially after the calibrating-the-lighting-part).

I mean, I work in Advertising/Public Relations, and although I'll watch the entire thing, I would frankly be a bit bored and wonder why it took all of 3 minutes to impress upon me that your studio was as professional as it seems.

Here's what I would do if I were to redirect the video:
- Cut out the "We can transform your dream into reality," it's a bit cheesy.
- Cut out most of the speech. It's photography you're selling. If the photos are great enough, you won't need much voiceover.
- Cut out the scenes where the people are simply walking, moving gear, unloading/loading the van, shorten the scenes where there's panning to show how the photographer got his shot.
- Instead of showing off the D4s and lenses, have them all together on a table for a quick 2 second clip if you want.
- At the end, just put all the logos together on one still instead of having them scroll if you wanted to show people the logos. 2:16-2:37 was all logo time... That's 20 seconds! You know how much can be fit in 20 seconds?

The quick stills you had from 1:12-1:16 could be used interspaced with shorts such as 0:19-0:21 for a shorter, more explosive ad.

But maybe what you have works well in Israel, so I wouldn't know. But in New York, we'll think it's great but at the same time wonder why was there so much fluff in there. It would sell better as a "wow-images, wow-locations, wow-skills" video of the skills/shots/upscale locations of the work your studio has done, instead of an entire "this-is-how-we-do-things-from-shoot-to-post-production-and-also-the-cameras-we-use" video.

It's clear your studio knows what it's doing with the photography aspect... but the video... did it really have to take all of 3 minutes to convey the message?!

Aug 21, 2013 at 05:07 AM
Evan JF Roth
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New advertisement clip

I would cut the narration all together.
No one likes to hear that the studio is great from the studio itself.
If a bride hears it from another bride she'll probably have a completely different opinion!
You can still use your clips to show what your work is like, but try ask some brides questions about how your studio is so much different from others. If a bride really did like a certain shot you got with a crane where you went above and beyond to get it then put that in!

Aug 21, 2013 at 08:29 AM
TheGE
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New advertisement clip

widjayaman wrote:
I will kindly disagree with TheGE.. first of all to me it seems like the OP is running a very successful studio and has the exposure to the market he's aiming for.

Having a successful studio doesn't automatically confer success status to a new marketing video. In fact I'm sure Yitzy knows the life of a successful business person is filled with failures and hardly anything works amazing out of the gate. Everything needs to be tested and measured and tweaked. Otherwise why ask what others think, as he did, unless he's simply trying to rack up views or awareness of his studio.

I don't profess to know his market, which is why I wrote it depends on to whom he's sending that message to. Perhaps you have better knowledge of his market.

But the formula is this: The right message, to the right market, via the right channels. In my 30 something years in this industry I've never seen the tech aspect of it (these are the lights I use, this is my camera) be a dominant buying motive raising peoples' interest and compelling them to contact the studio. At most it may back up a buying decision ("my photographer has the latest stuff"), but it doesn't fuel the interest in contacting the studio - unless the person's a geek in which case I can see this as being effective.

I think there are aspects presented within the video that if the video were about that aspect would make it more effective.

And I don't see how anyone could disagree that the video goes on too long for today's attention spans which are documented to be short, unless the video captures such an interest level that you can't help but hang on to the end. But I don't see any mechanics in the video which attempt to keep the viewer glued. The cardinal sin in marketing is to bore the audience.

And I don't understand how the suggestion to have the contact information or call to action way sooner in the video is something to disagree about unless you believe everyone's going to sit through the whole thing.

To be frank there were even more things I noticed but it gets to the point that instead of attempting to correct every flaw it's better to just tear it down and rebuild a new one.

Absolutely some people have much more keen marketing knowledge and experience than I do though many have less. For my part, I've written many marketing materials over the years, even had a book out on marketing wedding photography (used to sell through B&H and other outlets), and I'm very familiar with the nuances of what goes into copywriting a piece. I've written sales letters which have generated thousands of dollars, average weddings in the 10K range and have helped coach several FM members resulting in visible increases to their business.

Let me wrap this up by saying anything weak in the video reflects itself via its results. The Wall Street Journal recently reported how the most successful videos are increasingly being produced by those who know how to build an audience. Too many times I believe photographers fall in love with their creations like parents with ugly babies, don't see through their market's eyes, write copy which means something to them but not the consumer - and so when it doesn't work as well as they'd hope they stop short and blame the medium. The only thing you can do is test this video and see what the results are. Let the market decide if you're right.

Aug 21, 2013 at 02:30 PM
WNStudio
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New advertisement clip

As a photographer I watched it all, and found it interesting. In short:

If I were a groom, I'd say cool- they have everything we need.
If I were a bride probably I will need something more emotionally appealing, and the brides pick a photographer.

Just my 02 cents.

Aug 21, 2013 at 03:07 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password