New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · What glue to use?

ebrandon
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What glue to use?

My wife, son and I recently finished traveling around the world for a year. Photography was a centerpiece of our travels and we shot 90% of our images with Olympus OM-D E-M5 cameras. You can see our work at http://flyingsquid2012.tumblr.com

The Olympus gear held up incredibly well during our year of travel (except for losing several eyepiece cups) but near the end the rubber on my accessory grip started peeling off.

It looks pretty easy to glue the rubber back onto the grip, but I don't want to use the wrong kind of glue that could damage the camera or whose fumes could damage lens coatings over time.

Would you fix this yourselves or send it in to Olympus for their magic glue? And if you did it yourself, what type or brand of glue would you recommend?

Thanks!

Aug 19, 2013 at 08:26 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What glue to use?

I tried rubber cement on my grip and it didn't work, then I used super glue gel and it worked fine. I would guess a general epoxy would work well too or something like shoe goop.

Aug 19, 2013 at 08:42 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What glue to use?

If there's still a warranty, contact Olympus, you could always ask them what they use.

Aug 19, 2013 at 09:54 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What glue to use?

They make a low-volatile superglue gel. I've used it to replace keypad numbers on my cell phone. Fumes should be a non-issue with most any glue once it has cured, but the low volatility aspect should alleviate that concern even further. Very easy to apply with pin point control, easy to spread around (i.e. doesn't run a muck) and holds strong. I would certainly do it myself with no concerns.

Aug 19, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Peire
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What glue to use?

My NEX7 peeling off grip was treated with superglue with satisfactory results.

Aug 19, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Jabberwockt
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What glue to use?

As a recovering backpacker, I'm incredibly jealous. Great photos btw. Superglue actually doesn't have any fumes after it cures completely.

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:14 AM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What glue to use?

Many lovely shots. Must have been a fantastic year.

Aug 20, 2013 at 02:45 AM
ebrandon
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What glue to use?

Thanks for the advice and kind words everyone.

I didn't know about Superglue "gel". A tube is on its way here now.

Aug 20, 2013 at 01:38 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.