Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Clients choosing album images

lilyphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Clients choosing album images

I've always let my clients choose their album images. I think that since it's their album they should decide what pictures they want. It's never been an issue for me until today...

The bride and groom notified me that their images had been chosen. I log into their event website to check out what photos they chose and honestly, it's a mess! They chose random pictures that are a small part of a story but they don't have the supporting images to go along with them. On a whole, the images they selected don't tell you much at all.

In this case, would you say anything or just let it go? I still stand by my opinion of that it's *their* album, but it's just bothering me that their selection of images don't make any sense. That and the fact that it's going to be a PITA to try to make it look good while designing it.

Thoughts?

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:38 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Clients choosing album images

They don't know what they're doing, you're the pro. This is why pre-designing can be so great, you give them the framework, and then you can be flexible and let them change some things. But then you aren't putting the whole thing on them to screw up.

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:49 AM
johnrg
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Clients choosing album images

TTLKurtis wrote:
They don't know what they're doing, you're the pro. This is why pre-designing can be so great, you give them the framework, and then you can be flexible and let them change some things. But then you aren't putting the whole thing on them to screw up.

Exactly this.

Aug 20, 2013 at 01:03 AM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Clients choosing album images

yep

Aug 20, 2013 at 01:22 AM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Clients choosing album images

I have gone back and forth on this. Some of my clients are quite discerning over their photos, others not so much. I usually tell them to pick a certain number that's well below what can fit, and then fill in the rest to make it fluid.

Although the majority of the time, they end up choosing photos that I had used for my blog, so that makes things easier for me. But generally, yeah I think pre-design works pretty well.

D

Aug 20, 2013 at 02:15 AM
flash
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Clients choosing album images

My clients get to choose about 50% of the images and then I build the story around that selection. I also ask for must not include images. So if an album had 70 images they'll sendme a list of about 35 shots they want in and a dozen or so they definitely don't want. Works well for me. But maybe not for others.

Gordon

Aug 20, 2013 at 02:17 AM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Clients choosing album images

Just design it. Give it to them for revision. The only time I ask is usually the family formal. I ask them which photos they want.

Aug 20, 2013 at 03:05 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Clients choosing album images

Only show them the images you want to put in the album?

Aug 20, 2013 at 03:42 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Clients choosing album images

lilyphoto wrote:
I still stand by my opinion of that it's *their* album,....That and the fact that it's going to be a PITA to try to make it look good while designing it.

It's easy to look into the future and see this coming. When you stick to the thought that 'it's their album' this is what you get. Yeah, it's theirs but YOU are the person that should be helping them by guiding. They can still have the photos they chose to go in their album but it is you who is the story teller. It's really no different than documenting someone's life in a movie; a biography. The writer, director, and producer has a heavy hand in to HOW it's told. Your job is to be the writer, director, and producer regardless that it's their album.

What I do is take their selection and design/tell the story incorporating their selection. It's really simple that way.

Aug 20, 2013 at 01:29 PM
Squirrely Eyed
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Clients choosing album images

99.9% chance they will appreciate your guidance in retrospect and be happier overall.

Aug 20, 2013 at 02:14 PM
DannyBostwick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Clients choosing album images

cordellwillis wrote:
It's easy to look into the future and see this coming. When you stick to the thought that 'it's their album' this is what you get. Yeah, it's theirs but YOU are the person that should be helping them by guiding. They can still have the photos they chose to go in their album but it is you who is the story teller. It's really no different than documenting someone's life in a movie; a biography. The writer, director, and producer has a heavy hand in to HOW it's told. Your job is to be the writer, director, and producer
...Show more

Yeah, I agree with this to a certain extent. However, It is their album and at the end of the day, the images that are most important to them are going to be largely based off relationships. I might have a really sick photo of the dress, or really amazing moment with her and a bridesmaid showing genuine laughter and happiness, but what she really wants with that selection is a photo with her Mom because of past experiences and maybe things that they went through together that you don't know about. Only she will know that. So when she chooses just kind of a boring shot, I will try to decode that and pick a better one for her and explain to her, I think this will help tell the story of the day a bit better.

The album isn't the blog post. It's going to be around (in theory) long after you and I are out of business and are onto other endeavors in our lives. It needs to be what is important to the couple, and while helping put together the sickest album possible with the coolest images, in my opinion, the album should not be thought of as a marketing tool, it should be thought of as a personal memory of the day and was it important to them is infinitely more important than what is important to me.

Aug 20, 2013 at 02:18 PM
lilyphoto
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Clients choosing album images

Thanks for the input, everyone. I'm going to to ahead and incorporate her selection and put in some additional shots to help tie everything together.

Aug 20, 2013 at 02:26 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Clients choosing album images

Robin Usagani wrote:
Just design it. Give it to them for revision. The only time I ask is usually the family formal. I ask them which photos they want.

I do the same thing. Exactly the same.

Aug 20, 2013 at 06:57 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password