Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              11      
       13       end

Archive 2013 · 200mm 2.0L + beautiful redhead = magic.

Lisa_Holloway
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.12 #1 · p.12 #1 · 200mm 2.0L + beautiful redhead = magic.

I don't care much for her processing but I love her eye and what she captures with her camera. She has definitely influenced me to try some new things - just not post processing wise.

Jan 24, 2014 at 04:33 PM
Dirck1

p.12 #2 · p.12 #2 · 200mm 2.0L + beautiful redhead = magic.

My post started with the comment that your photos were "nice" and I get such a violent reaction. "Less sophisticated" isn't necessarily a put down of your clients, and I am sorry you perceived it as such. When you post photos as you did when you started this thread, don't expect unanimous fawning praise. Everyone can improve at what they do, and I am entitled to my opinion. Ms. Shumilova may have a highly sophisticated post-processing workflow, but her photos look much more natural in my opinion. I don't think they look de-saturated as much as yours look over-saturated.

Edited on Jan 24, 2014 at 04:54 PM · View previous versions

Jan 24, 2014 at 04:50 PM
Lisa_Holloway
• • •
p.12 #3 · p.12 #3 · 200mm 2.0L + beautiful redhead = magic.

How exactly is stating that my clients are 'less sophisticated' NOT a put down? Give me a break. I don't expect unanimous praising, but I have no desire to make my photos look like Elena's. It's not a style of processing that I am drawn to. Art is subjective, so for you to insist that I make my photos more 'natural' (which is laughable) like Elena is silly. If I wanted my photos processed in that manner, that's exactly what I'd be doing. I know my way around processing software pretty well, and I can assure you that these are exactly as I want them.

Jan 24, 2014 at 04:54 PM
Dirck1

p.12 #4 · p.12 #4 · 200mm 2.0L + beautiful redhead = magic.

Read my original comment more carefully. I think I was talking about commercial portraiture in general, not just your work. You are extremely defensive. Again, as I stated in my original post, I like your photos. My opinion is that portrait photographers (yes, including you) could learn something from Elena Shumilova's photos. My opinion, get it? I don't see any point in going on about this any further.

Jan 24, 2014 at 05:04 PM
Lisa_Holloway
• • •
p.12 #5 · p.12 #5 · 200mm 2.0L + beautiful redhead = magic.

This isn't commercial portraiture. I love Elena's work, but do not care for her post-processing - which is what you suggested I do. Do YOU get it?

Jan 24, 2014 at 05:09 PM
Elfraim
• •
p.12 #6 · p.12 #6 · 200mm 2.0L + beautiful redhead = magic.

Beautiful! as always.

Jan 24, 2014 at 06:03 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.12 #7 · p.12 #7 · 200mm 2.0L + beautiful redhead = magic.

Dirck1 wrote:
My post started with the comment that your photos were "nice" and I get such a violent reaction. "Less sophisticated" isn't necessarily a put down of your clients, and I am sorry you perceived it as such. When you post photos as you did when you started this thread, don't expect unanimous fawning praise. Everyone can improve at what they do, and I am entitled to my opinion. Ms. Shumilova may have a highly sophisticated post-processing workflow, but her photos look much more natural in my opinion. I don't think they look de-saturated as much as yours look over-saturated.

Dirck, just to be fair here, I'd hardly categorize the response to your comments as "violent". In fact, I think it was a pretty fair response to someone who -- without knowing the photographer -- called her clients "less sophisticated" in what was perceived by a number of us in a derogatory manner. But even worse, in my opinion, is that you're suggesting that all commercial photographers edit their photographs in the same way -- whether it be Shumilova's style or whatever. That just doesn't make any sense. We all have our own style of shooting, and we have our own style of editing. Put it together, and that's what makes us different. I like what Shumilova does, and I like what Lisa does. I even like what Jeremy Clay does. But I think I'd like to develop my own style, and so should all commercial and non-commercial portrait photographers.

Jan 24, 2014 at 07:10 PM
Dirck1

p.12 #8 · p.12 #8 · 200mm 2.0L + beautiful redhead = magic.

friscoron,

Just to be fair, being told to shut my "trap" just because I expressed my own opinion (I notice you reference your opinion in your post) followed by some other crude comments from Ms. Holloway, is a pretty violent reaction ... again, in my opinion. I understand clearly now that Ms. Holloway posts her photos seeking praise, not criticism. After all, to quote Ms. Holloway her photos are already "exactly as I want them". She started this thread by referring to her own photos as "magic" ... pretty remarkable, and, in my experience unique. Elsewhere, she told me to "stay out of my threads from here on out", and I intend to follow her advice, unless someone posts a personal comment about me that I feel the need to respond to, which you have. I do agree with you that every artist is entitled to their own interpretation and their own post-processing style. I was personally almost overwhelmed by the beauty of Ms. Shumilova's photography, and I do find attractive the more natural look of her photos (no matter how much post-processing she has done to get there).

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:33 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.12 #9 · p.12 #9 · 200mm 2.0L + beautiful redhead = magic.

Dirck, please show me where I said for you to "shut your trap".

And as for Lisa not wanting criticism, you haven't been here long enough to see her many other threads where she has reworked her images after getting suggestions from other 'togs on FM.

Jan 27, 2014 at 02:38 AM
Dirck1

p.12 #10 · p.12 #10 · 200mm 2.0L + beautiful redhead = magic.

I am referring to Ms. Holloway's comment about my "trap".

Jan 27, 2014 at 02:55 AM

friscoron
• • • • •
p.12 #11 · p.12 #11 · 200mm 2.0L + beautiful redhead = magic.

Well, to be honest, I'd probably say the same thing if you came onto one of my posts with the attitude your posts have been. On her Sunset Road post, you jump on there and immediately comment on how the child is unattended and thus unsafe. Apparently, you've never lived in the rural Southwest, where there are roads less driven. But it's like you're brand new here, or at least this name of yours is brand new, and it's like you're on here picking fights instead of being a productive member of the community.

Have it your way. But if your way was nice and courteous, even if you were providing a critique, you would find that people would be nice and courteous back to you.

Jan 27, 2014 at 03:14 AM
Dirck1

p.12 #12 · p.12 #12 · 200mm 2.0L + beautiful redhead = magic.

Maybe Ms. Holloway needs your lecture on good manners more than I do. If you would stop posting about me in this thread, I could honor Ms. Holloway's request that I ignore her - something I am more than happy to do.

Jan 27, 2014 at 03:59 AM
jboucher50
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.12 #13 · p.12 #13 · 200mm 2.0L + beautiful redhead = magic.

holey moley molly! freaking fantastic! Stunning set.

Jan 28, 2014 at 06:38 PM
fabio111s

p.12 #14 · p.12 #14 · 200mm 2.0L + beautiful redhead = magic.

Fantastic... usually I don't like the compressoin given from long lenses ( in fact my longer lens is a 100mm ), but the result here is amazing. sharpness with creamy bokeh, colours that are alive... magic results

Feb 09, 2014 at 12:29 PM
marioalejandro

p.12 #15 · p.12 #15 · 200mm 2.0L + beautiful redhead = magic.

Beautiful, simply Beautiful!

Feb 16, 2014 at 11:24 PM
rexmills

p.12 #16 · p.12 #16 · 200mm 2.0L + beautiful redhead = magic.

Very nice!

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:29 AM
timhpark
• • • •
p.12 #17 · p.12 #17 · 200mm 2.0L + beautiful redhead = magic.

I've been away much too long. BEAUTIFUL, Lisa! Absolutely beautiful.

Tim

Mar 13, 2014 at 05:36 PM
BayernFan

Upload & Sell: On
p.12 #18 · p.12 #18 · 200mm 2.0L + beautiful redhead = magic.

personally not big on "creamy", but these work. nice.

Mar 13, 2014 at 06:31 PM
tembody

p.12 #19 · p.12 #19 · 200mm 2.0L + beautiful redhead = magic.

Beautiful.

Mar 14, 2014 at 12:20 AM
AnalogStreet

p.12 #20 · p.12 #20 · 200mm 2.0L + beautiful redhead = magic.

Congrats on the great buy and beautiful shots!

Mar 14, 2014 at 12:36 AM
       13       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

13       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password