Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Rainier; A Wonderland of Trails

TerryCzap
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rainier; A Wonderland of Trails

In late July I arrived from the flatlands of the New Mexico Prairie, to bask in the flora of the Pacific Northwest, and Mount Rainier in Particular. I'd spent 9 days on the mountain in total, hiking approximately 165 miles of trails, including the Wonderland Loop. Had an enjoyable time, met a lot of great folk (even a fellow FMr), and still sorting through my pictures, some fairly traditional and some not. All CC welcomed.

Terry

Avalanch of Lilies - Taken at Van Trump Park. Coming directly from the drought stricken grasslands, at times the visual bounties of the mountain did not seem possible to be real.

Morning Reflections - Sunrise at Reflection Lake

Bench Lake - I hiked into Bench in the afternoon and liked the Rainier view, so decided to arrive before sunrise the next day. Hitting the trail at 5 am in the fog was a bit of a letdown, but this was the end result of that day's trip.

Aurora Lake - My second day camp site for the Wonderland Trail was at Klapache Park. This is the humble Aurora Lake at that location. I carried my 5D, 24-105 lens, and monopod for 115 miles of the Wonderland and its side excursions.

Flowers and Tatoosh Range

Edited on Aug 19, 2013 at 02:10 PM · View previous versions

Aug 19, 2013 at 02:00 PM
ScaryFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rainier; A Wonderland of Trails

A stunning set. And an journey that makes me nothing but jealous!
2 stands out for me.

Ute

Aug 19, 2013 at 02:08 PM
Tuan Le
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rainier; A Wonderland of Trails

A wonderful set of images Terry that really shows off the beauty of the place -- a big prod also for me to get up there one day for an extended visit. #2 is my favorite as well.

Aug 19, 2013 at 02:23 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rainier; A Wonderland of Trails

All are very good! #2 is just sublime, really awesome.

Aug 19, 2013 at 02:25 PM
tony1
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rainier; A Wonderland of Trails

well worth the trip thanks for sharing!!!

Aug 19, 2013 at 02:27 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rainier; A Wonderland of Trails

Hey Terry,

I was just up there too, and I will agree the wildflowers there will blow one over! My favorites are #1 and 3. That's great you caught a field of the Avalanche Lilly, in my hiking around Paradise I think I saw only about 7 of them...

What a great adventure you had there. I know when I was up there and scouting around that I was thinking that the Wonderland trail would indeed be a really cool trip to do sometime.

Jim

Aug 19, 2013 at 02:28 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Rainier; A Wonderland of Trails

Fantastic set, never seen avalanche lilies in such abundance.

Aug 19, 2013 at 02:46 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Rainier; A Wonderland of Trails

what lovely shots. wish I had been there.

Aug 19, 2013 at 03:01 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Rainier; A Wonderland of Trails

Wow, you hiked an average of over 18 miles per day for 9 days straight!? That is a lot that would take me about 6-7 hours each day non-stop (if there is no huge elevation gain) add some breaks here and there and its well over 8 hours. Amazing that you had time to take photos! Did you miss taking a tripod? Filters?

Aug 19, 2013 at 03:13 PM
MS PHOTO
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Rainier; A Wonderland of Trails

Wow, looks like you had a great hike, keep posting, did you do any night stars?? Milky way?
Paul

Aug 19, 2013 at 03:39 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Rainier; A Wonderland of Trails

beautiful set

(I might crop out the top part of the sky for aurora lake, it's cool how the shadows bend on the right)

Aug 19, 2013 at 04:56 PM
naturesmoments
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Rainier; A Wonderland of Trails

An absolutely beautiful set of photographs!

Aug 19, 2013 at 06:58 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Rainier; A Wonderland of Trails

Amazing series, with #1 being my favorite, with #2 a very close second. I spent a week there (7/23 - 7/29) and saw very few lilies. The patch you found is astounding. I am also impressed by your hiking mileage.

Aug 19, 2013 at 07:16 PM
bktools
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Rainier; A Wonderland of Trails

Hi Terry,

Stunning set of images from Mt. Rainier, with great depth, and well composed. The first, with Avalanche Lilies is one of my favorites. Thanks for sharing.

Bob

Aug 19, 2013 at 09:44 PM
TerryCzap
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Rainier; A Wonderland of Trails

Thanks for all the comments. It really was an amazing adventure. I must have hit the lilies at a perfect time, as I'd come across at least 20 large patches of them in my travels.

Sneakyracer. I did miss the tripod, since there were so many creek/waterfall shots that the mono could not do justice with. I took a few filters with me however.

MS Photo. I've done very little night shooting in my brief photography career. I did take one Milky Way series from near Observation Rock (above Spray Park) though. Being my first MW it turned out ok, but I did not think it was good enough for this forum (no tripod). I'm traveling again, so the file is not accessible, but I may post it later.

Terry

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:47 AM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Rainier; A Wonderland of Trails

Hello Terry, such a gorgeous set of pictures you presented. I have never seen Mt. Rainier in such blossomy surroundings with flowers! Lovely shots of #1 and #2 particular. Looking forward more of your posts.

Kee

Aug 20, 2013 at 01:06 AM
halie
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Rainier; A Wonderland of Trails

I think I can hear the flys and the mosquitoes. Great photos.

Aug 20, 2013 at 03:42 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Rainier; A Wonderland of Trails

#2 is just WOW! others are nice too but #2 stands out for me.

Aug 20, 2013 at 05:43 PM
TerryCzap
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Rainier; A Wonderland of Trails

I appreciate the continued comments on these photographs. Since my original post, I've realized I had spent 10 days at Rainier and not 9. Have been on the road since the end of June and somewhat lost track of the timing of various events.

Regarding Rainier; I'd hiked/photographed various sites from Longmire to Box Canyon for 3 days, went to Tacoma for a few days, then returned to complete the Wonderland in 7 days.

The flower scenes were my first attempt at "focus stacking", and it's a technique I'll be working to get better at.

Jim Fox,

The Wonderland is definitely a worthwhile venture. Having spent my first few decades in western Washington many years ago, I'd been to Rainier dozens of times and only recalled my interest in hiking the WT. I hit the trail somewhat naively however, with little recent research. I expected a nice trail that stayed somewhat at elevation, meandering along for 93 miles. The reality of the situation was hammered home by the second day, and I then realized the trail would be a nonstop repetition of miles of uphill trudging, followed by miles of downhill travel.

Halie,

The flies were not much of a problem, but the mosquitoes were a different sort of plague. I haven't been mauled by such blood suckers in at least a dozen years, primarily since I just haven't been anywhere in NM or Colorado that had the buggers so abundantly. And since I have not encountered them, I took no bug juice, and worse, the zipper on my entry netting for the tent was broken, leaving full access to the marauders.

My solution the to the problem was to keep moving. I'd get to my campsite and set my gear aside. Since my netting was broken, I did not set up the tent for the majority of the trip. Instead, I would set off to locate sunset shooting sites for the eve, or scout for a sunrise location. I realized the sqeetos went to bed around dark, so I would not get into my bag until they shut down for the night. I was never bothered by them at night.

Skibum5,

I can see how cropping the Aurora Lake shot could make it look better. I'll give it a go.

Terry

Edited on Aug 21, 2013 at 09:11 PM · View previous versions

Aug 21, 2013 at 01:44 AM
ScottHM
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Rainier; A Wonderland of Trails

Great shots, looking forward to seeing more of them. Sounds like quite the adventure and a lot of hiking. I'll have to spend some time in Rainier next year. Despite your disappointment I like what you were able to pull out from Bench Lake.

Aug 21, 2013 at 02:17 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.