Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

ARGH......Missed out 300mm 2.8VR

daleaherman
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · ARGH......Missed out 300mm 2.8VR

So,

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm 1:2.8GII ED

http://austin.craigslist.org/pho/4010104948.html

I had my money out, had to go to doctors appt... Sold by the time I got out.

Called the guy. Said he saw for similar on ebay.... How could he not know what he had ??

Aug 19, 2013 at 04:55 PM
binary visions
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · ARGH......Missed out 300mm 2.8VR

I have a friend who pretty much exclusively trolls eBay and Craigslist for people who don't know what they have, buys it, and re-sells it. That's all he does for a living.

I mean, he's not making a fortune - but he is making a living with no boss that's basically location-independent (needs to be near a major metro area but no specific state).

Just goes to show... there are a LOT of people who don't know what they have and/or are too lazy to consult the internet to determine a value.

Aug 19, 2013 at 06:00 PM
lara_ckl
• •
p.1 #3 · ARGH......Missed out 300mm 2.8VR

daleaherman wrote:
How could he not know what he had ??

Maybe it is not his? That's one possibility.

Aug 19, 2013 at 06:23 PM
fishfilm
• • •
p.1 #4 · ARGH......Missed out 300mm 2.8VR

lara_ckl wrote:
Maybe it is not his? That's one possibility.

Or he just rolled it into client expenses and wants to move it without a lot of hassle. Think about it. He can show it as an expense and then sell it for cash.

Aug 19, 2013 at 07:34 PM
dasams
• • •
p.1 #5 · ARGH......Missed out 300mm 2.8VR

binary visions wrote:
I have a friend who pretty much exclusively trolls eBay and Craigslist for people who don't know what they have, buys it, and re-sells it. That's all he does for a living.

A policeman might call your friend a fence.

Aug 20, 2013 at 02:08 AM
Frogfish
• • • •
p.1 #6 · ARGH......Missed out 300mm 2.8VR

dasams wrote:
A policeman might call your friend a fence.

What on earth ? Of course he's not. That terminology is for stolen property. This guy seems to be buying items legitimately and then re-selling them, perfectly legal (thought the IRS might want a word) . Tons of people just want to get rid as quickly as possible and not bother trying to obtain the high price, or they acquire the items from family/friends and really don't know the real value.

Edited on Aug 20, 2013 at 05:41 AM · View previous versions

Aug 20, 2013 at 02:32 AM
SAng
• •
p.1 #7 · ARGH......Missed out 300mm 2.8VR

He listed it without the 'VR', so possibly mixed it up with an AFS-II version he saw on eBay?

I did come across a Nikon film body with 50 mm lens listed for a couple hundred once. The pic wasn't clear so I emailed and they said it had 'f1.2' on the front of the lens. Of course it was gone by the time I turned around and said I wanted to buy it - someone already picked it up. Lost some sleep over that one.

Aug 20, 2013 at 02:50 AM
kinconorb
• • •
p.1 #8 · ARGH......Missed out 300mm 2.8VR

Some good deals to be had on craigslist. I purchased my current car off there for $5000 and get this it only had 36k miles on the odometer. As if that wasn't good enough the previous owner was an old lady, who just drove it to the market and church every week. Similar cars were selling for nearly double with at least 70k miles. Granted the color wasn't my favorite but I've still got it today 92k miles and never a single issue just basic upkeep - should easily go for another 100k.

Aug 20, 2013 at 03:48 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

edl415
• •
p.1 #9 · ARGH......Missed out 300mm 2.8VR

SAng wrote:
He listed it without the 'VR', so possibly mixed it up with an AFS-II version he saw on eBay?

I did come across a Nikon film body with 50 mm lens listed for a couple hundred once. The pic wasn't clear so I emailed and they said it had 'f1.2' on the front of the lens. Of course it was gone by the time I turned around and said I wanted to buy it - someone already picked it up. Lost some sleep over that one.

Of course, you'd be saying something else if they told you it said 'f1.2' on the front and when you showed up, you found out it actually said 'f/2'....

So many misinformed sellers think 1:2 is the same as 1.2! Oh what a difference one dot makes.

Aug 20, 2013 at 04:37 AM
playerofwar
• •
p.1 #10 · ARGH......Missed out 300mm 2.8VR

A lot of film bodies used to have a 50 1:2 (f/2) as a kitlens. Chance of having a 50 1.2 is very low. Every time I see 1 online with a film body, an f/2 is advertised as f/1.2... Even got someone with a fm2 and a 58 1.2 last year for 200, called the guy immediatly to pick it up. While I was checking it at his place, someone else called him to tell him he was selling a 6000+ lens for 200. He send me home... (btw, that 58 1.2 is still for sale for around 7000)
Chances come and go.

Aug 20, 2013 at 10:43 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #11 · ARGH......Missed out 300mm 2.8VR

Frogfish wrote:
What on earth ? Of course he's not. That terminology is for stolen property. This guy seems to be buying items legitimately and then re-selling them, perfectly legal (thought the IRS might want a word) . Tons of people just want to get rid as quickly as possible and not bother trying to obtain the high price, or they acquire the items from family/friends and really don't know the real value.

Yep, he is definitely not doing anything illegal. He pays what people ask for their goods, and sells for what others are willing to give him.

You could, I suppose, argue that he's in a moral grey area where it's not exactly the most honest thing to avoid telling private sellers that they are undervaluing their goods, but it's not illegal.

He pays taxes, as well. Last I knew, he had a pretty expensive accountant taking care of his finances and making sure he was on the up-and-up with the IRS.

Aug 20, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · ARGH......Missed out 300mm 2.8VR

^^^ I don't even see where what he is doing is a moral grey area as long as he is not lying to them.

Besides, $2500 for a non-AFS version of this lens seems a fair price. I got an AFS-VR version of the lens for $4000 with a one year warrantee.

Aug 20, 2013 at 05:49 PM
daleaherman
• •
p.1 #13 · ARGH......Missed out 300mm 2.8VR

Actually, this was for the latest Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm 1:2.8GII ED VR (5700 at B&H)

The morality issue came from someone that buys and then resells "deals" that they find on CL. Some think that these deals may be shady as in stolen merchandise. But as Binary pointed out, if the guy treats it like a real business than he is free to make a living this way.

My original post post was about trying to understand why someone would sell a lens for about 1/2 of the going rate (at about $2000 less than normal used pricing). The guy said that he saw prices on ebay that were similar, but he was comparing against non VR older lens...

Aug 20, 2013 at 09:02 PM
coferg
• •
p.1 #14 · ARGH......Missed out 300mm 2.8VR

Scares me to think what my relatives will sell my equipment for when I'm gone. Even if they CR it, the first offer at half price will probably get it. It's all about 'let's get this over with and done... and get the money', reasonable value becomes meaningless. -Jim

Aug 21, 2013 at 01:43 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · ARGH......Missed out 300mm 2.8VR

daleaherman wrote:
Actually, this was for the latest Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm 1:2.8GII ED VR (5700 at B&H)

The morality issue came from someone that buys and then resells "deals" that they find on CL. Some think that these deals may be shady as in stolen merchandise. But as Binary pointed out, if the guy treats it like a real business than he is free to make a living this way.

My original post post was about trying to understand why someone would sell a lens for about 1/2 of the going rate (at about $2000 less than normal used pricing). The guy said
...Show more

Oh, in that case, yes, $2500 would have been an awesome deal!

Aug 21, 2013 at 02:23 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password