Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · UWA for nikon FX

khwaja
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · UWA for nikon FX

Searching for a UWA for nikon D800, narrowed it down to the samyang 14mm. sadly there appear to be no stocks in my city.

now looking at DX lenses that could be used on FX. Looking at the tamron 10-24/ sigma 10-20 as extreme measures if i have to buy before friday (shooting an event on sunday)
18-35 also being considered.
budget around 700$

Aug 19, 2013 at 04:53 PM
Frogfish
• • • •
p.1 #2 · UWA for nikon FX

Can't you get a hire lens (LensRentals perhaps) rather than buy something you don't really want and regret it later ?

But in haste, regret at your leisure.

EDIT : OK I've just noticed you are in India, so maybe Lens Rentals don't ship there

Still maybe you can offer someone a few $ to borrow one ? Even if you have to put the full value down as a deposit.

Edited on Aug 20, 2013 at 02:29 AM · View previous versions

Aug 19, 2013 at 05:50 PM
DGC1
• • •
p.1 #3 · UWA for nikon FX

Tokina makes excellent ultra wides that won't break the bank.

Aug 19, 2013 at 07:43 PM
Kell
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · UWA for nikon FX

D800+Samyang+DX lenses ...get a Nikkor 16-35 F4

Aug 19, 2013 at 07:58 PM
brewercm
• •
p.1 #5 · UWA for nikon FX

I was thinking the Toking 16-28 2.8.

I know I'm going to be using my existing Sigma 10-20 DX on my D800 when I get it in and need UWA until I can pick up the Tokina.

Aug 19, 2013 at 10:02 PM
ffstory

p.1 #6 · UWA for nikon FX

Using DX lenses on D800 is pointless. You'd give away the best advantages of the full-frame system - better wide angle lenses, bigger viewfinder and also high pixel count of the D800.

As you've already done the research, you know ho good the Samyang 14mm is. Why not order it online?

Aug 19, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DontShoot
• • • •
p.1 #7 · UWA for nikon FX

For about $50 more, you can get the very nice 18-35 AF-S.

Aug 19, 2013 at 11:35 PM
ocir
• •
p.1 #8 · UWA for nikon FX

I sold my Tok 16-28. Pros - very nice bokeh and built like a tank and less ghosting and flaring compared to any UWA I have used before. Cons - not sharp wide open and you have to stop down to f/5.6, can't use a filter and VERY heavy. My conclusion, I don't think it is worth $750. I have tested the new Nikon 18-35G, although, the bokeh is not as good as the Tok but for the same price, I would grab the Nikon in a heartbeat for a lot of reasons.

Aug 20, 2013 at 06:10 PM
RKnecht
• • •
p.1 #9 · UWA for nikon FX

I own the new 18-35 AF-S and use it on my D3 and D4. Its a bargain for the performance it offers. I've used it side by side with the 16-35 and it compares very favorably. I think it actually handles flare better. For the money, I don't think you'll find a better alternative.

Aug 20, 2013 at 08:49 PM
khwaja
• • •
p.1 #10 · UWA for nikon FX

great news, samyang shipping and on its way... now to join some astrophotography forums on the side

Aug 21, 2013 at 01:43 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · UWA for nikon FX

khwaja wrote:
great news, samyang shipping and on its way... now to join some astrophotography forums on the side

Look no further than the Landscape Forum, you will see lot's of star shots in there.

Jim

Aug 21, 2013 at 05:44 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password