Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · Controversies in the photography world

friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Controversies in the photography world

I'm a little surprised that no one has brought up the controversies taking place with some of our national wedding photography stars. Three different photographers, three completely different controversies -- and it all makes for an interesting topic to discuss.

I think we'll all react differently to each of these situations. Some are important to us, some not so important. Some may suggest there's more to the story than what is told here.

In truth, I think these will all prove to be minor bumps in the road for these photographers, as their "fans" -- many of them being us (photographers) -- tend to be a forgiving bunch.

So here goes:

1. JB Sallee posted on his Facebook page something to the effect that one of his wedding clients named her baby Brinkley and this was his third wedding client to do so. He and his wife were a bit upset because they were hoping their baby would have a unique name. But to add insult to injury, the client (Kristen) posted on her FB page that she was looking for an inexpensive newborn photographer, and Sallee was apparently put off by that. Kristen's response on Sallee's FB page puts everyone (Sallee) in his place, and is an excellent reminder not to take everything at face value.

The link to the FB posts: http://waytogoprotog.tumblr.com/

2. Doug Gordon has apparently been plagiarizing others in his blogs and Facebook posts. Granted, this was done by someone hired by Doug, but it's still his responsibility and it apparently continued in the new blog that came out after this came out in July.

His apology is here -- http://www.facebook.com/pages/Doug-Gordon-Workshops/191007682903 -- but you have to scroll down to July 18. It's interesting the comments there. Jeff Ascough mentions in it that this thread says much about the current state of our industry, and it's not good.

The link: http://stopstealingphotos.tumblr.com/post/55742970716/doug-gordon

3. Jasmine Star and her tweets. She's apparently been tweeting things that were written by others, and passing them off as her own.

Sal Cincotta wrote about this here, along with Gary Fong's reaction to Jasmine Star (scroll to bottom): http://www.behindtheshutter.com/what-we-can-all-learn-from-the-recent-events-of-jb-sallee-jasmine-star-and-doug-gordon/

You can see Jasmine's apology here by scrolling down to her Aug. 16 post: http://www.facebook.com/JasmineStarPage

Aug 19, 2013 at 03:26 PM
Theographics
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Controversies in the photography world

Why any small business owner would EVER post something that singles out a client in an unflattering manner on SOCIAL MEDIA is completely beyond me. I have no sympathy for JB Sallee at all, what he did was inexplicably stupid.

Aug 19, 2013 at 03:35 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Controversies in the photography world

Seriously? These are the things that concern you?

Aug 19, 2013 at 03:36 PM
MRomine
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Controversies in the photography world

Interesting and a bit comical.

Aug 19, 2013 at 03:47 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Controversies in the photography world

I think there's something to be learned from this, from each of these situations.

Moreover, this is our industry. Each of us choose how involved we want to be in the direction it takes, and those are personal/professional choices. If we choose to decide that we do not want to get involved, or even care to learn about what's going on, that's our decision.

But if we don't care about what's going on in our industry, we don't have much of a say about what direction it's going. I know that most of us are small anonymous photographers who have very little impact on the industry even if we speak out, but I think it's still important that if nothing else, we are aware of what's going on in our industry.

Personally, I'm just amused by the Jasmine Star situation, I think JB Sallee did something incredibly insensitive, and Doug Gordon needs to be more involved in the details of what's on his sites.

Aug 19, 2013 at 03:54 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Controversies in the photography world

I think it's a relevant post because who knows, it just MIGHT deter a few of the photo-stealers who lurk here. I'm sure there's more than 1 or 2.

One of my college experiences within the past year also might shed light on this. A classmate came up to me a few days before the Final and asked if they could have the notes I take on my laptop, saying that they had not attended most of the classes in person. When I asked them why, they just shrugged and said that they couldn't stand the teacher's views.

My point is that there are many people who feel entitled to the benefit of hard work, regardless of their own lack of effort.

Aug 19, 2013 at 04:17 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Controversies in the photography world

Nothing about the PASS system and their print pricing?

Aug 19, 2013 at 04:39 PM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Controversies in the photography world

All I know is that all the "stars" who work I follow I am only interested in their work.

Granted, folk like Nate at imageisfound have a unique way of life that is captivating and you can't help but tune in but honestly pretty all you have posted above is something that reads out of a gossip magazine.

Most of these stories you are probably aware of anyways, I guess it becomes more juicy if it's attached to a bigger name.

Aug 19, 2013 at 04:48 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Controversies in the photography world

What JB did was just stupid. For his wife to chime in was even stupider (yes, I did write stupider). Having two kids of my own, I understand that they are the center of a parent's universe. It's just dumb to think that their daughter's name is that original and rare. It's not like her name is Inku or anything. Nevertheless, there's no reason to drag a client into it.

Doug Gordon - never even heard of the guy until recently. Seems like someone trying to stay relevant and be creative, but just doesn't have creativity in him naturally. Which is why he either a) plagiarized all this shit or b) hired someone to be creative for him and they plagiarized all his shit. Either way, he's just not creative.

J* - I was never a fan of her photography. It was solid and pretty, but like her personality, they lacked substance. What I did admire was her business acumen and her ability to use social media to build her business. Well, guess what? That turned out to be built on... "borrowed" words. So, huge hit to her credibility, in my eyes. Someone that is selling "just be YOU" shouldn't be selling with other people's words. I bet her whole persona is effing fake.

Lastly, David Jay can go fornicate with himself.

Aug 19, 2013 at 04:56 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Controversies in the photography world

If you wanted a unique name you should have named the child "34hl0956lkjh09gldl"

(Thank my 2 year old for typing in that name)

Aug 19, 2013 at 05:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

camboman
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Controversies in the photography world

Whoa, I just wandered in by accident, clicking the link on FM home page.

It's like I've been teleported back to high school.

Aug 19, 2013 at 05:34 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Controversies in the photography world

Crusade!!

Seriously, I have better things to do with my time than worry about what others are doing.

Aug 19, 2013 at 05:36 PM
trevanian
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Controversies in the photography world

I got nothing except "artic wolf ninja" if its a boy, or chuck norris if its' a girl.

Aug 19, 2013 at 05:40 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Controversies in the photography world

friscoron wrote:
His apology is here -- http://www.facebook.com/pages/Doug-Gordon-Workshops/191007682903 -- but you have to scroll down to July 18.

Doug's July 18 entry has been deleted. Hmm.

The Sallee's are insecure people. Naming your child some weird ass name doesn't make them unique, it makes them a kid who goes through life saddled with a weird ass name.

J*'s tweets are every bit as original as her photography.

Aug 19, 2013 at 06:11 PM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Controversies in the photography world

read earlier ... not worth my time.

Aug 19, 2013 at 06:13 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Controversies in the photography world

friscoron wrote:
She's apparently been tweeting things that were written by others, and passing them off as her own.

Gary Fong had this to say in a response to Jasmine Star's recently exposed plagiarism:

"she lifted a copyright image before ... Her photography is highly derivative of Jesssica Claire's and her skill in photography is intermediate ... my respect for her is very, very low."

Aug 19, 2013 at 09:46 PM
StevenMI
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Controversies in the photography world

hmm..Brinkley..I like that name.

This may backfire in more ways than one.

Aug 19, 2013 at 09:48 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Controversies in the photography world

dmacmillan wrote:
Doug's July 18 entry has been deleted. Hmm.

Gordon's apology was there this morning, but it's a month old and I bet it's already business as usual for him so they may have decided that there was no need to keep negative stuff right there on his FB page.

Aug 19, 2013 at 10:02 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Controversies in the photography world

D. Diggler wrote:
Gary Fong had this to say in a response to Jasmine Star's recently exposed plagiarism:

I agree with Mr. Fong, Capital "F", small "o", small "n", small "g".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=345MNPk0GB8

Aug 19, 2013 at 10:36 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Controversies in the photography world

D. Diggler wrote:
Gary Fong had this to say:

"Her photography is highly derivative of Jesssica Claire's ... my respect for her is very, very low."

Sounds to me like that means basically copyin'.

Aug 19, 2013 at 10:52 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password