Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · HS Football - Gonzaga vs Bishop Spaulding Scrimmage

pattywatty
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · HS Football - Gonzaga vs Bishop Spaulding Scrimmage

A few from a scrimmage this past weekend at Gonzaga College HS. All with D4 and 200 2.0vr + 1.4 tele...

Aug 19, 2013 at 08:23 AM
BillP57
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · HS Football - Gonzaga vs Bishop Spaulding Scrimmage

The action and timing look good on these, but I would crop 2, 3, and 4 tighter. I'm not a fan of the processing, but that's my personal taste.

Bill

Aug 19, 2013 at 09:42 AM
Trevorma
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · HS Football - Gonzaga vs Bishop Spaulding Scrimmage

Yah I agree that I am not a fan of this processing, that said I looked at your website and some of the football shots have a similar processing (just not as heavy) and they have a great look to them.

In fact a lot of your web stuff looks great!

Aug 19, 2013 at 11:59 AM
MichGoBlue
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · HS Football - Gonzaga vs Bishop Spaulding Scrimmage

I kind of like the vintage look, though its hard to id the players this way.

Backgrounds on 2-3-4 are kind of tough with the kids sitting on the wall and all so I think it would be even worse if the processing was "normal". I think a tighter crop on 2 and a really tight crop on 3 would probably clean up the background a lot more.

Aug 19, 2013 at 12:02 PM
pattywatty
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · HS Football - Gonzaga vs Bishop Spaulding Scrimmage

Thanks for the comments - I know that most true sports shooters do not like this processing at all but I have found that the young athletes I shoot here really like and actually request "normal" processed photos to be processed like this or similar for posting to facebook, etc. Also, they look very, very cool (as do normal processed photos) on metallic paper - gives a 3D pop to them. I normally crop tight as hell but I have found that in youth/HS sports, there's not always the backgrounds populated with spectators or players on sidelines worthy of a looser crop. This field is very cool in that it is smack in the middle of Washington, DC with some cool brick walls on a couple of sides. I just thought having a little of the sidelines with the players/refs added a little but I can also see how the tight crops on a couple would have probably been the better choice.

Thanks again for the comments...

Aug 19, 2013 at 12:41 PM
jmcaverly
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · HS Football - Gonzaga vs Bishop Spaulding Scrimmage

Great timing on these. Like em.

Aug 19, 2013 at 01:23 PM
shaneroper
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · HS Football - Gonzaga vs Bishop Spaulding Scrimmage

As already mentioned, I like this look for a picture or two but with the D4 and the 200 2.0, I would like to just see the real images atleast on this form. Having said that, if you wouldn't mind sharing, is this an action or just something you came up with? I could see some kids really liking it.

BTW, the last one is my favorite.

Aug 19, 2013 at 01:30 PM
pattywatty
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · HS Football - Gonzaga vs Bishop Spaulding Scrimmage

shaneroper wrote:
As already mentioned, I like this look for a picture or two but with the D4 and the 200 2.0, I would like to just see the real images atleast on this form. Having said that, if you wouldn't mind sharing, is this an action or just something you came up with? I could see some kids really liking it.

BTW, the last one is my favorite.

Shane - it's a combo of a few things - shadow/highlight adjustments in LR then tonal contrast (Nik Color Effects 4) and then aged photo preset from SLR Lounge in LR and then a little vignetting, etc. I'll try to repost a few normally tonight to compare...

Aug 19, 2013 at 02:01 PM
James Broome
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · HS Football - Gonzaga vs Bishop Spaulding Scrimmage

pattywatty wrote:
Thanks for the comments - I know that most true sports shooters do not like this processing at all but I have found that the young athletes I shoot here really like and actually request "normal" processed photos to be processed like this or similar for posting to facebook, etc. Also, they look very, very cool (as do normal processed photos) on metallic paper - gives a 3D pop to them.

I used that logic one year for a regular T&I client I've had for years. I did a light bleach bypass and tonal contrast effect (pretty light) on them to give them a more modern look.

The kids loved them. The parents hated them.

So yeah, it impressed the kids. But I learned something that year. Kids aren't my target audience. I sell to the parents. And if the parents don't like them, I can't pay my mortgage.

Aug 20, 2013 at 10:13 AM
pattywatty
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · HS Football - Gonzaga vs Bishop Spaulding Scrimmage

James Broome wrote:
I used that logic one year for a regular T&I client I've had for years. I did a light bleach bypass and tonal contrast effect (pretty light) on them to give them a more modern look.

The kids loved them. The parents hated them.

So yeah, it impressed the kids. But I learned something that year. Kids aren't my target audience. I sell to the parents. And if the parents don't like them, I can't pay my mortgage.

Well all clients are different and I wouldn't be doing it if the clients didn't pay for it so to each their own I guess...

And I don't mean any disrespect with that response - what I mean is that the kids/athletes are a way for an upsale for me. Yes - the parents are the ones paying for the prints and they traditionally order normal processed prints (and occassionally the processed versions). The kids then request the "processed" versions and it allows me to upsale in terms of small file sales (facebook) as well as sticky albums for them to have on their phone to show other kids in their school which then leads to more referrals. So for me its a win-win. I hope that clarifies my response.

Thanks.

Edited on Aug 20, 2013 at 12:08 PM · View previous versions

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:50 AM
James Broome
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · HS Football - Gonzaga vs Bishop Spaulding Scrimmage

Absolutely. I didn't intend to suggest you should stop. If you're selling them, keep going!

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:04 PM
pattywatty
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · HS Football - Gonzaga vs Bishop Spaulding Scrimmage

Yep - I just edited my response - again, I didn't mean any disrespect and I understand your position as well...

Thanks!

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:08 PM
amlsml
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · HS Football - Gonzaga vs Bishop Spaulding Scrimmage

I think they are great. Different and very cool! If they sell, that much better. I like them wider as well. Nice set.

Aug 21, 2013 at 04:18 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.