Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Nikon D4 and an Ice Light Problems

wishdiver

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Nikon D4 and an Ice Light Problems

Ok so here is a new one that just started happening in the past two weeks. I am shooting one of my D4ís with an ice light. I start to notice what looks like waves moving in the viewfinder and are showing in the images (almost like a light behind a fan and you can see the shadow of the blades moving very slightly). The first time I see this I am thinking to myself ok this is what you get for booking three days of photo shoots followed by two more wedding days (in other words I think Iím losing it). Then this weekend I am shooting another wedding and see it again. This time I grab my other D4 and put my 24-70 on it (same lens) and it is crystal clear.

Has anyone else had an issue like this? I think I may need to send this one into NPS but I figured I would reach out here first and see if anyone has any suggestions.

Aug 19, 2013 at 03:17 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Nikon D4 and an Ice Light Problems

I can understand how this might happen when shooting video because of issues with frame rates and the LED lights cycling, but you didn't mention video so I assume you are referring to still photos. I have no clue why you would be catching a refresh rate through an optical viewfinder.

Aug 19, 2013 at 04:05 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Nikon D4 and an Ice Light Problems

If what you are seeing in the viewfinder corresponds with the captured images, then isn't the PWM on the lights the issue? The effect may vary with the light's battery charge level as well.

EBH

Aug 19, 2013 at 04:14 AM
wishdiver

p.1 #4 · Nikon D4 and an Ice Light Problems

That is exactly what I was thinking until I tried my other camera body. I have another shoot today for a floral company and I think I am going to bring the ice light with me just to see if I can get it to do it again.

Aug 19, 2013 at 05:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RCicala
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Nikon D4 and an Ice Light Problems

I've had a couple of Ice Lights start some high-speed flickering that factory service had to replace. Not sure if that has anything to do with what you're experiencing.

Aug 19, 2013 at 08:39 PM
Almass
• •
p.1 #6 · Nikon D4 and an Ice Light Problems

Just as a wild guess, what is your Flicker value set at on the D4 in the Set Up menu?

Aug 20, 2013 at 08:57 PM
wishdiver

p.1 #7 · Nikon D4 and an Ice Light Problems

I dont know I will have to check. What do you think it should be set at? And where would I find that in the menu? I dont recall seeing that.

Aug 22, 2013 at 05:38 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password