Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · What's wrong with this?

Michael White
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What's wrong with this?

It is concerning operating systems. You can run windows on a Mac OS system either by a multi boot setup or in virtual mode but the reverse is not true. Why isn't there a virtual Mac OS program or why don't they make it to run on a standard pc system think how many would convert if Mac OS would run on a pc system. Even if you had to run it on top of Linux like you do on a Mac system now.

Aug 18, 2013 at 05:51 PM
BruceF99
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What's wrong with this?

In one word...Apple.

Aug 18, 2013 at 08:38 PM
matt.garnett
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What's wrong with this?

The main reason is that a lot of apple's mac os is based EFI, which is kinda like an upgrade up from BIOS. OSX can run on PCs. I am actually using a hackint0sh right now that I built about a year ago for $1400 at the specs of the old mac pro plus a 128GB SSD boot disk and 3TB RAIDed. It's technically against OSX's EULA to run on anything other than a Mac. And the fact that OSX only runs on Macs is what makes it great. It doesn't have to worry about supporting every motherboard, video card, or whatever peripheral you throw at it. It runs smoothly with the hardware Apple allows.

Aug 18, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Ektar25
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What's wrong with this?

I guess they figure once you go Mac you never look back!

Aug 18, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Michael White
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What's wrong with this?

My thought is if Mac OS ran on reg pcs then a lot more would actually run it.

Matt,
I am actually using a hackint0sh right now that I built about a year ago

Will osx run on a z77 motherboard , intel CPU, etc. what do you need to run a Mac OS on a pc. I'm thinking of building a second tower and if I can build it for Mac OS at the price as a win pc I would love it. My current tower is way over the top so that it puts about everything I see to same still and I built it last thanksgiving timeframe

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What's wrong with this?

It's top-down platform control; a walled-garden approach to developing the system. Apple's brand from 1997 onward has focused upon the whole user experience, rather than selling software licenses. They tried licensing the OS back in 1996, but it didn't work out. Under their current model, Apple can control the user experience by controlling the hardware on which the software runs, and not having to support the broader universe of hardware configurations that ODMs or home-system builders might dream up. Indeed, part of OSX's usability reputation, deserved or otherwise, stems from not having to build in support for such every permutation and combination of hardware.

Aug 21, 2013 at 07:28 AM
Hammy
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What's wrong with this?

From what I understand, as of about 3-4 years ago, Mac's run on the exact same hardware platform as PCs. They used to use RISC chips that OS/2 would run on, but now they use the same.

Instead of the Windows platform pulling drivers for the components used, Apple's OS integrates the hardware code needed.

So as others have mentioned, it's Apple's control of the platform. Which has it's pluses and minuses. Plus being ensured operability as they don't have to sign you up to the driver of the month club and find out one month's driver set you back. A minus is with Apple's finite control and pre-integration is they set the platform definition and therefore the price.

Overall the user experience is about using the computer - not supporting it...another plus! But this convenience comes at a price premium.

On the software front, again, Apple has a more stringent process of certification that a program will work with their OS (hardware and software components).

Then there is market share - PCs still dominate over Macs by at least 5:1, so as a programmer, who would you want to program for? There is plenty of software on PCs that Mac users would like to run, but there is quite limited titles that PC users feel the need for. So while Apple has OS restrictions in place of working on a 'non-standard' PC, there is just simply limited market for such a demand.

Personally, I'd love to see FCP for PC, but that's probably not going to happen. Luckily, there are tons of other options for PC that can fill it's place.

Aug 22, 2013 at 07:22 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What's wrong with this?

I'm kind of confused. You say you have already built a Hackintosh so I would think you are already familiar with the most difficult parts.

Have you tried something along these lines?:

http://lifehacker.com/5938332/how-to-run-mac-os-x-on-any-windows-pc-using-virtualbox

Aug 22, 2013 at 07:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jeff Donald
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What's wrong with this?

The EULA for Mac OSX prohibits it from being run on other hardware. Let your ethics and conscience be your guide.

Aug 23, 2013 at 02:07 AM
VinWeathermon

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What's wrong with this?

http://www.sysprobs.com/easily-run-mac-os-x-10-8-mountain-lion-retail-on-pc-with-vmware-image

I guess it does depend on the intended purpose. If you paid for the software and were not using the hardware, my conscience would be ok.

I would wonder what you would gain by this approach though. Might as well stick with a nice PC.

Aug 27, 2013 at 03:43 AM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What's wrong with this?

Oxymoron: nice PC

Sep 13, 2013 at 02:23 PM
Michael White
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What's wrong with this?

I have got either system to run. Osx yet i with the desktop. Yet but did play with the laptop and some virtural nsetup but i haven't tweaked it enough to get it working.i. Need to do more research

Sep 14, 2013 at 08:06 AM
Daniel Smith
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What's wrong with this?

mac os is based EFI

Electronic Fuel Injection?

Oct 16, 2013 at 05:45 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What's wrong with this?

Jeff Donald wrote:
The EULA for Mac OSX prohibits it from being run on other hardware. Let your ethics and conscience be your guide.

While I agree, I would also counter with the assertion that Apple aren't themselves snow white.

VinWeathermon wrote:
I would wonder what you would gain by this approach though. Might as well stick with a nice PC.

Hackintoshes are projects - made for the challenge. And they allow you to gain access to OS X on a powerful system for a fraction of the price.

Shoot more,
Paul.

Oct 18, 2013 at 03:18 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What's wrong with this?

I see the making of a mac fan boy / trolling thread lol

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:54 AM
JoshI
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What's wrong with this?

Arka has it right. Apple doesn't offer OSX for use on other hardware because they believe in controlling the experience. It's the same with iOS. Personally, I think it's the right approach in a world where most tech users can't be bothered to keep up with event the simplest maintenance tasks.

Oct 18, 2013 at 07:02 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password