New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Tripod choices for super telephotos

dgdg
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tripod choices for super telephotos

I have a used Gitzo 3-series 1325 (and now a wimberly head) that I originally bought prior to my Canon 600mm II. This setup handles fine for bif. For subjects not in motion, I like to lower the shutter speed to improve iso. Focal lengths of 600 to 1200mm seem fine, but I having nothing to compare to as far as vibration effect or general handling. I don't mind the way the leg locks work - I'm used to them.
I searched here on FM and googled for reviews/proof/thoughts, that I could benefit from a larger tripod. Tripods I have researched and considering include the Feisol elite, Gitzo 5 series, RRS TVC-33. Then I see Peter (petkal) wanting to get something smaller than his 5 series. I am so confused...
Should I stick with my gitzo 1325 and be happy?

Edited on Aug 18, 2013 at 10:13 AM · View previous versions

Aug 18, 2013 at 09:37 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tripod choices for super telephotos

in your thinking remember to take in account the airflow effect (breeze or better) on your camera and lens assy (quite a large not too aerodynamic piece) when in use on any of these in other then still air unless you are in a good blind.

Aug 18, 2013 at 09:54 AM
psharvic
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tripod choices for super telephotos

My Gitzo 5 series with wimberly and 600 is ideal except for weight. I have used the 600 with a 3 series and large ballhead in a pinch (very carefully) and that has been satisfactory. I think a 3 with wimberly would have met my needs.

Aug 18, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Steve Walker

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tripod choices for super telephotos

I also use a Gitzo 5 series (5541LS) with Wimberley 2 for my 600. I think it is ideal. I have tried it with my Gitzo 3 series and find that the 3 series is just not stable enough for my needs.

I shoot mostly large mammals and the occasional rodent...very rarely BIF. Shooting at dawn and dusk, I really appreciate the stability of the 5 series.

For me, the weight difference between the 3 series and the 5 series is not much of a factor. When I am shooting with the 600, I am generally pretty close to the car.

I also considered the RRS 3 series. At the time, they were brand new and the folks at RRS said they were designed for a maximum of 500mm. Given the reports I have heard and read since then, I would seriously consider the RRS 3 series as an alternative to the Gitzo 5 series.

Aug 18, 2013 at 11:19 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tripod choices for super telephotos

the RRS series 4 is just around the corner

http://blog.reallyrightstuff.com/new-rrs-gear-at-nab/

Aug 18, 2013 at 02:45 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tripod choices for super telephotos

If you are shooting 600mm to 1200mm focal lengths, then a series 5 makes a difference. I have both series 3 and series 5 Gitzo tripods. And I'm shooting with my 800 + extender. The series 5 is a lot more stable. It's a huge difference in size when comparing the legs (and weight)

Aug 18, 2013 at 03:10 PM
rprouty
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tripod choices for super telephotos

This was with an RRS TVC-34Land Wimberley II.
1/30th of a second.

http://www.pbase.com/rprouty/image/135278295/original.jpg

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
1/30s f/8.0 at 1120.0mm iso400 full exif

Aug 20, 2013 at 02:55 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tripod choices for super telephotos

thanks for the tips everyone. pretty impressive example rprouty.
I see 5 series gitzo's going for the $700's, and with 4 sections it fits better in my 24" internal length suitcase. Now the newer RRS tripod is advertised as shorter folded up, but I imagine used will be hard to come by for a while.

Aug 20, 2013 at 05:49 PM
garyroach
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tripod choices for super telephotos

I have a G1325 and a G1548. I always felt that the G1325 was fine up to holding a 300mm f/2.8 lens. But, for larger lenses I much preferred the G1548 with a full Wimberley head. I used the G1548 with a 600mm lens and it was rock steady.

Sep 26, 2013 at 11:22 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tripod choices for super telephotos

dgdg wrote:
thanks for the tips everyone. pretty impressive example rprouty.
I see 5 series gitzo's going for the $700's, and with 4 sections it fits better in my 24" internal length suitcase. Now the newer RRS tripod is advertised as shorter folded up, but I imagine used will be hard to come by for a while.

Call them with your question, they actually answer the phone - unlike other firms!

Sep 26, 2013 at 11:30 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tripod choices for super telephotos

thanks luke. I nabbed the like new used gitzo and absolutely love it. I was doing long astro exposures with some gusty winds and I didn't have to throw out a single image. The 1325 is very nice, but the 5 series is great. I didn't realize how convenient the anti rotation leg locks would be. Not a critical buying factor, but very nice.
The new rrs will be much more expensive than the used gitzo prices, I suspect. I have purchased things from RRS and agree that they answer the phone promptly and are very nice.

Sep 27, 2013 at 06:57 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.