Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Tombstone Yukon - Grizzly/Divide/Talus Hike - Day 1/2

Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tombstone Yukon - Grizzly/Divide/Talus Hike - Day 1/2

Well, I just go back from 1 week in Tombstone Yukon and 1 week in the high Arctic, and I am tired.

For my first week, we (my son, his girlfriend, and 2 other friends) flew up from Calgary to Whitehorse, and then drove to Dawson City and then on to Tombstone to hike. The hike ended up being about 50km and 10,000' of elavtion gain in 6 days. The Alpine hiking association recommended 1) Hike to Grizzly Lake 850m, 2) Hike up above Grizzly Lake for high shot of Talus mountain, 3) then hike to Divide Lake, then hike to Talus Lake, and then return through Divide and Grizzly to the trail head. We decided to follow this route.

The first day was supposed to be 11km and 850 meters. I have done lots of 600-700m hikes (but not with a heavy pack) and so I thought it would be just a bit harder and I would push a bit. What I did not recognize was that 850m was the net elavation gain and the trail was very rough (exposed, rock piles for at least 1/2, undulating, no easy water, driving cold rain alternating with sunshine and 50 degree inclines, and the total elevation gain was probably double the 850m [might be exaggerating] ). Needless to say, after 9 hours of hiking (mostly shuffling in a daze after the first 6 hours trying not to stumble on rock crossings) with my tent, sleeping bag, tripod, 3 lens and big body, and other stuff when I pulled into Grizzly Lake I could barely set up my tent and was determined to call Grizzly Lake my destination for 5 days. Whew, it was tough for an old 53 year office worker.

There was some color in the sky but there was not enough color in me, so I went to sleep about 11AM in the very bright afterglow of sunset. This was my first photography failure - I was too tired to stand up. Sun went down around 11 and back up at 4 and it did not get dark at night - it was about equivalent to 6pm in the far south. This site is on a similar latitude to Fairbanks, AK.

Next morning after sleeping through about 4 hours of sunlight, I got up around 9AM. I was feeling well enough to attempt the hike for the Talus Lake view. But after after 2 hours of 30-40 degree pitch, and foolishly taking tripod and all my lens and lots of water, I gave up the next hike and watched my 24 year son head off with his girfriend while I took lower level shots. Failure number 2 - missed the Talus Lake High Elavation shot because of tiredness.However, after that relaxing day, I determined that I would try the next leg to Divide Lake - If I survived 11km, the next 5km must be easy.

I will continue in my next post tomorrow.

But here are my best (not great) pictures near Grizzly Lake

1-4 of 4

Comments and feedback are appreciated.

Scott

1 - Grizzly Lake from Grizzly Lake Campground

2 - Alternate view of Grizzly Lake from Campground showing Flowers

3 - Grizzly Lake at Midnight - Overlooking the Campground - on Return

4 - 400 meters above Grizzly Lake on my easy day - the white dot near the right of the lake is the cook tent and above that is the avalanche chute that is the start of the hike for the next day

Aug 17, 2013 at 05:25 PM
harland
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tombstone Yukon - Grizzly/Divide/Talus Hike - Day 1/2

Sounds like a killer hike. #1 is really nice. Too bad we can't be 25 again (then again don't know if I would want to!)
Darryl

Aug 17, 2013 at 06:17 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tombstone Yukon - Grizzly/Divide/Talus Hike - Day 1/2

Harland: It would be nice to be 25 for hiking ability but then you have uncertainty and wondering what to do with your life and ..... How about healthy like a 25 year old and 53. Glad you like 1. Grizzly Lake is beautiful place. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Aug 17, 2013 at 06:44 PM
Butch Braniger
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tombstone Yukon - Grizzly/Divide/Talus Hike - Day 1/2

#1 and # 3 are great! Sounds like fun! Thanks for sharing.

Aug 17, 2013 at 06:48 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tombstone Yukon - Grizzly/Divide/Talus Hike - Day 1/2

Really liking 1.

Aug 17, 2013 at 07:22 PM
Allynb
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tombstone Yukon - Grizzly/Divide/Talus Hike - Day 1/2

Wonderful reflections in # 1. They all have a dramatic feel to them.
Allan

Aug 17, 2013 at 10:30 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tombstone Yukon - Grizzly/Divide/Talus Hike - Day 1/2

I feel your pain, Scott, I have a son not much younger than you. Anyway, sounds like you did pretty well, considering. You got some really good shots. I really regret not taking the extra time to go there when we drove to Dawson and then over Top Of The World. An extra few days seems trivial now, but then we were anxious to get to Alaska.

Aug 17, 2013 at 10:55 PM
B Landau
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tombstone Yukon - Grizzly/Divide/Talus Hike - Day 1/2

#1 is the best in my opinion. I'm exhausted just reading your description of the hike!

Aug 18, 2013 at 12:32 AM
NickHenderson
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tombstone Yukon - Grizzly/Divide/Talus Hike - Day 1/2

Backpacking with lots of camera gear is brutal. It's worth it though at the end when you have a bunch of great shots. That is, if you survive

Aug 18, 2013 at 01:02 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tombstone Yukon - Grizzly/Divide/Talus Hike - Day 1/2

Beautiful images and quite an adventure!

Aug 18, 2013 at 09:08 AM
nma
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tombstone Yukon - Grizzly/Divide/Talus Hike - Day 1/2

Scott,

Not so great, huh?

As usual wonderful atmospheric shots.

Aug 18, 2013 at 09:54 AM
rpope
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tombstone Yukon - Grizzly/Divide/Talus Hike - Day 1/2

That's some hike Scott. I know the feeling... when your legs turn to rubber it's more like falling forward than walking
The shots are gorgeous. That first one is killer with the clear water and reflection.
Great work as always!!

Rich

Aug 18, 2013 at 11:13 AM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tombstone Yukon - Grizzly/Divide/Talus Hike - Day 1/2

NickHenderson wrote:
Backpacking with lots of camera gear is brutal. It's worth it though at the end when you have a bunch of great shots. That is, if you survive

Yea, at 64 its even more fun I think I'll take walker next time.

Love the 1st shot & the others ones are good too.
I was up that way in the spring (Whitehorse), but it was a driving trip. Somewhat easier

Thanks for posting

Dan

Aug 18, 2013 at 11:40 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Tombstone Yukon - Grizzly/Divide/Talus Hike - Day 1/2

Butch Braniger: It was great fun. It was nice to be physically challenged by the hiking. Glad you like 1,3. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

ben egbert: Glad you like 1. It was shot quite a few hours after sunrise (9AM) but the light was still quite nice. Unfortunately, the sunset light on 3 nights was too dark. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Allynb: Glad you like the reflections in 1. It is a very pretty spot. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

stanparker: My son is 24 and strong. He carried the food so I could carry my camera stuff. But I was impressed by how well I did. There were mostly young people on this hike. It is easy to go back - the air plane flys into Dawson City almost every 2nd day and in September the northern lights and color are special. Right now the colors of grass/leaves are likely in peak. So, easy to go back. Glad you like the pictures. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Aug 18, 2013 at 12:50 PM
ScottHM
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Tombstone Yukon - Grizzly/Divide/Talus Hike - Day 1/2

Sounds like you held up pretty well...and got some nice shots, especially #1. At least you know what you can do at this point, and what you'll need to do to go for further hikes. You just need to find someone younger to carry your gear, isn't that what the wisdom of age is all about

Aug 18, 2013 at 12:54 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Tombstone Yukon - Grizzly/Divide/Talus Hike - Day 1/2

B Landau: I was tired but it was a great trip with my son and friends. Glad you like 1. Grizzly Lake is quite nice. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

NickHenderson: I have decided that next hike I am taking my eos-m and 11-22mm with a gorrilapod. I cursed the 100-400 3.5lbs and althought the 17TS is my favorite landscape lens, it was heavy. And then the 1.4x and 24-105 and tripod, just took me to the pain. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Steve Perry: Glad you like the pictures of Grizzly Lake. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

nma: The light did not cooperate at Grizzly Lake but I like the pictures anyway - they have an emotional attachment to me and shows others what they could get with better light. I am glad you like them. It was a really fun achievement. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Aug 18, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Tombstone Yukon - Grizzly/Divide/Talus Hike - Day 1/2

rpope: Thanks for the encouragment. My legs and lungs felt like rubber most of the trip. But it was worth it. Now I don't need to go get a check up on my heart, because I would have dropped dead if it were weak Glad you like 1. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

dswiger: I hiked with a guy and his wife that had just turned 60 and they did better than I. Now I am looking at retirement in a different light - an opportunity to get in shape. But less money for gear - its hard to decide. It is a great area. Glad you like 1. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Aug 18, 2013 at 01:04 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Tombstone Yukon - Grizzly/Divide/Talus Hike - Day 1/2

ScottHM: You know a porter is a wonderful idea. Next time I will tell my son he can't take his girlfriend because he has to carry my stuff. Or get him to bring one of his tough friends. I would have been willing to offer anyone $200 to pack my bags over two of the legs. I talked to the ranger who was there working and he said - you know if you get in trouble it costs about $1200 for a helicopter and I thought - that sounds cheap given mire tiredness on the first day. Glad you like 1. It was a great experience getting the picture. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Aug 18, 2013 at 01:07 PM
Dan Heitman
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Tombstone Yukon - Grizzly/Divide/Talus Hike - Day 1/2

I really wish I could have come along although it may have killed me. It looks like I missed out on another 'Amazing Adventure" Love the relection shot, good job young fellow. Dan

Aug 18, 2013 at 03:01 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Tombstone Yukon - Grizzly/Divide/Talus Hike - Day 1/2

Scott Stoness wrote:
ben egbert: Glad you like 1. It was shot quite a few hours after sunrise (9AM) but the light was still quite nice. Unfortunately, the sunset light on 3 nights was too dark. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

. Scott

Sometimes golden light is not everything. This reflection is beautiful, the scene is beautiful and the clouds are beautiful.

Ben

Aug 18, 2013 at 03:47 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.