Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2013 · A Couple BRP Waterfalls

kmunroe
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · A Couple BRP Waterfalls

both are very nice Steve

Aug 22, 2013 at 09:36 AM
Dougo
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · A Couple BRP Waterfalls

The 3D quality of the first image made my jaw drop, the second image is not to shabby either

Cheers Ray

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:05 AM
akul
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · A Couple BRP Waterfalls

Gorgeous shots. Especially #1. Great composition, fantastic detail, almost hyper real rendition, beautiful tonality. Blending is not at all visible. Amazing work.

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:39 AM
Nori
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · A Couple BRP Waterfalls

Two excellent images, very nice exposure and compositions. well done

Aug 22, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Brad Williams
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · A Couple BRP Waterfalls

Fantastic Photos Steve! Those are some great waterfalls! Keep up the good work!

Aug 22, 2013 at 06:30 PM
Steve Perry
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · A Couple BRP Waterfalls

Thanks SO MUCH for the kind words everyone

Aug 23, 2013 at 12:25 AM
Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · A Couple BRP Waterfalls

Really spectacular shots.

Aug 23, 2013 at 12:31 AM
joeyward

p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · A Couple BRP Waterfalls

Steve, You nailed both falls!! Very nice shot of Soco. Very difficult to get to bottom of this falls for sure. Years ago the trail was barely there and the last time I was there I noticed how they had improved the trail and viewing of the falls from above. Still very hard to get to bottom of Soco especially while carrying camera equipment and watching out for sliding down the mountain the hard way. Definitley needs the Nikon 14-24 reach (hope Canon is working on something like this for us Canon shooters). Very nice PP on both photos. Looking forward to your YouTube presentations on this. Definitely keep us informed on its progress.

Crabtree is much easier. Seems like all you need with Crabtree is a wet summer like we definitely have had this year. Hard to go wrong with Crabtree except for the dynamic range of the falls but you handled that very nicely! Congratulations!! Joey

Aug 23, 2013 at 12:57 AM
Steve Perry
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · A Couple BRP Waterfalls

Thanks Evan!

Thanks Joey! Yeah, at Soco they have a rope that gets you half way down once you're past the platform, after that, you're on your own. Kind of wish they had put the rope on the second half, not the first! (Although there was a snapped rope that may have been in place at one time and that I used to help get myself and my gear back up.

Crabtree was a walk in the park (literally ) by comparison. And yeah, LOTS of water this year!!!

Aug 23, 2013 at 01:29 PM
Alan Brock
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · A Couple BRP Waterfalls

Steve Perry wrote:
@Karl & Bill - I get asked about post processing a lot, but the truth is every image I do is a different series of steps. It helps that both of these waterfalls are totally gorgeous, that goes along way

I'm working on a series of "how to" videos on YouTube, most are planned with a mentality of "This is what I shoot in the field and this is how I handle it one the computer". I don't have much done yet (just started), but it's getting there. You can see my vids here. I'm going to try and
...Show more

Hey Steve, absolutely gorgeous work! I am brand new to the FM forums and I can already tell that your work really stands out! After seeing some of your work, I was really curious about some of your processing techniques. I was dying to ask, but didn't know if that was considered good forum etiquette or not (still getting a feel for how the forum community works...) Anyway, I say all of that to say I very much look forward to these videos. I find your work very inspiring!

Aug 23, 2013 at 02:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

pixelreaper
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · A Couple BRP Waterfalls

# 2 for me, Steve. Great balance of light and color is not overcooked.

Cheers
Dimitri

Aug 23, 2013 at 03:25 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · A Couple BRP Waterfalls

Steve,
You've been on a roll lately. #2 is beautiful.

Aug 23, 2013 at 04:23 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · A Couple BRP Waterfalls

Steve,
I'm with the others; there aren't enough superlatives to adequately describe these two images.
Wonderful work, for sure.
Charlie

Aug 23, 2013 at 10:12 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · A Couple BRP Waterfalls

Superb! Excellent PP as usual.... Well done.

Aug 24, 2013 at 03:12 AM
IndyFab
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · A Couple BRP Waterfalls

Beautiful work Steve ! and your avatar is sharp !!

Aug 24, 2013 at 08:13 AM
Steve Perry
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · A Couple BRP Waterfalls

Thanks so much for all the kind words everyone! I really appreciate all your comments Both images have a lot of time and effort involved between them trip, getting the images, and post processing so I'm always VERY grateful for your feedback

@Alan - No worries about asking, I think most everyone here is happy to help. As to my processing, I get asked about it a lot, but honestly I use dozens and dozens of different techniques and tricks. Unfortunately, it's never the same process for any image and the overall effect of all the different techniques is cumulative, so there's not a silver bullet "trick" I can easily explain. I WISH I could come up with a "system" of some sort though - sure would make my life easier during post processing!

That's actually why I'm starting to do videos, hopefully over time they'll pass on a lot of the stuff I do in the field and then back at the computer. Only have two "How To" vids up so far, but I just started
http://www.youtube.com/backcountrygallery

I can tell you this - The biggest trick in my playbook is trying to shoot when my subjects look their best. Makes it a LOT easier to produce a nice photo if whatever it is you're shooting looks amazing to begin with. I could have just about thrown a camera at either of those falls and gotten a nice photo - they did all the work, I just showed up!

Aug 24, 2013 at 01:48 PM
gordon l
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · A Couple BRP Waterfalls

These are wonderful shots. I enjoyed the stories you wrote to go along with them. These waterfalls look awesome! If you have more, please share.

The blending in the 2nd shot is excellent. I don't see anything that doesn't look just like the eye would have seen it.

Gordon

Aug 24, 2013 at 03:29 PM
Bjadelberg
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · A Couple BRP Waterfalls

Epic Bro! Very nice! Love them all!

Aug 24, 2013 at 03:31 PM
Steve Perry
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · A Couple BRP Waterfalls

Thanks Gordon & Bjadelberg! @Gordon - I'm glad it looks natural, it was tricky - the range of light form the top of the falls to the base was several stops. I don't think I've ever done a blend quite like it, but it seems to work. Thanks again one and all

Aug 25, 2013 at 11:14 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · A Couple BRP Waterfalls

very nice shots

Aug 31, 2013 at 07:47 AM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end