FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · The Ice Light

mineymole
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Ice Light

If you have used the Ice Light, please tell me what you like or dislike about it.

I'm not interested in hearing from those who have NOT used it and are only going to comment based on price etc.

Thanks!

Aug 17, 2013 at 08:27 AM
WalnutPond
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Ice Light

Haven't used it, but actually getting ready to order two in next few days. Portability and ease of use being driving factor for purchase.

It's hard to find much real world reporting on them, so I'm also interested in others feedback.

The one thing I'm a bit worried about is they've been out long enough and some design issues exist, if I buy and they come out with version 2 shortly after I'd be irritated.

Aug 17, 2013 at 08:41 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Ice Light

I have one. My wife really wanted it, and since I am usually the one who gets all of the toys (and since it was on sale for $420), I got it for her.

We have had it since April or so, and we have only used it a handful of times. Granted, we got it for to use in her boudoir work (which she has not done a ton of yet), so I never had the idea it would get a ton of use in weddings.

WHat I like about it: Great even light that balances well with natural light across all of the power settings. Holds a charge well. Can be used plugged in. Has a tripod thread mount

What I do not like: The light goes everywhere...not direct-able. I am used to strobes that have more direct light, so the spill is annoying. It is not super powerful and the light falls off quickly. One of the few times we used it in one of our cool shots the light had to be c. 12 inches from their head and I had to photoshop my wife out

On the whole, I think the rarity that I use it shows my opinion more than anything. If I could get the thing for $300, I would consider it. For $500 it's just not worth it to me with how I shoot.

Aug 17, 2013 at 08:48 AM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Ice Light

Di, I briefly demoed Katie's the last time we shot together. I found it awkward. It isn't bright enough to have the light far away, but it's really bright for the subjects when you are close and the light becomes sort of harsh. For what it's worth Katie sort of regretted the purchase.

Aug 17, 2013 at 08:49 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Ice Light

If you search hard enough, you'll find the knock off for $250. Same exact specs. Just not as pretty.

I considered one, but I only see it strong enough for details and close-up work. With creative placement, it can be used in large scenes... with 1-2 people max... and optimum lighting conditions. There are plenty of alternatives for pennies on the dollar to replicate the same results.

Aug 17, 2013 at 09:30 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Ice Light

There is a DIY version of it which is very simple to do....and costs a LOT less

http://cornicello.com/itfigures/2013/5/8/led-light-stick

Aug 17, 2013 at 01:25 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Ice Light

There are several DIYs and cheap alternatives out there if one takes the time to Google. The PVC pipe version is probably the cheapest; and strongest by comparison. I have a WiseLED I've considered building an attachment for that would put them all to shame.

Aug 17, 2013 at 02:01 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Ice Light

Sunny Sra wrote:
There is a DIY version of it which is very simple to do....and costs a LOT less

http://cornicello.com/itfigures/2013/5/8/led-light-stick

You need an outlet for that. Can't really compare.

Aug 17, 2013 at 07:40 PM
bthatton
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The Ice Light

I think it's pretty dim, not directable and not as soft as window light as I've seen claims of. They have one set up at B&H in the lighting department if you want to give it a try.

Aug 17, 2013 at 10:04 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The Ice Light

canerino wrote:
Di, I briefly demoed Katie's the last time we shot together. I found it awkward. It isn't bright enough to have the light far away, but it's really bright for the subjects when you are close and the light becomes sort of harsh. For what it's worth Katie sort of regretted the purchase.

The light is not meant to be far from the subject, and you can adjust the intensity of the light. It is expensive, but I really like using it. Like Kurtis mentioned, you can put it on a lightstand, which is nice. I use it at every wedding I shoot, and some portrait sessions.

Aug 18, 2013 at 01:43 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The Ice Light

mineymole wrote:
I'm not interested in hearing from those who have NOT used it and are only going to comment based on price etc.

that didn't work out to well.

Aug 18, 2013 at 03:30 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The Ice Light

cordellwillis wrote:
that didn't work out to well.

It never does... the same thing seems to happen w/ other gear, workshops, etc- "I've never used it/attended, but I know that it's useless."

Aug 18, 2013 at 03:45 PM
pcrit
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The Ice Light

The photographer I assist for has one and we use it at every wedding now and it does come in handy and you do have to be pretty close to the subject but it does work well. It has saved us a few times and gets some nice results. I do think it is expensive and there might be cheaper alternatives out there but it does work well.

Aug 18, 2013 at 07:28 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The Ice Light

friscoron wrote:
The light is not meant to be far from the subject, and you can adjust the intensity of the light.

yea, totally agree. i learned that really quick when i saw how dim it was and how much light just 'spilled' everywhere. so then i moved it close and damn, the light was really harsh (although I didnt dial it down too much. but then it got me thinking that having the light in so tight can limit creativity. for me, that is what is appealing about the lowel gl-1.

Aug 19, 2013 at 01:19 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.