Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Advice needed on buying wedding photography equipment

Yolane

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Advice needed on buying wedding photography equipment

Hi all...

I am brand new to this forum and very excited after reading through some of the threads. I am sure that I am going to learn lots.

I need some advice on putting together a new kit which will be used mainly for wedding and portrait photography.

The kit I would really like is:

Body - Canon EOS 5D Mkiii
Lenses - Canon EF 50mm f/1.4; EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM; EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM Mk ii
Lighting - 2x Canon Speedlites with triggers;

I am also getting a strobist kit and a collapsible reflector kit.

Now, like most, I have a budget to work with and therefore I can't get everything my little heart desires, at once. :-)

I know I am definitely getting a full frame camera and the 50mm lens, but I can't afford the Mkiii and other 2 lenses all at the same time. Should I maybe opt for the Mkii instead in order to get one of my other preferred lenses, and if so, which of the 2 lenses should I go for first. Or if anyone have other suggestions of the best affordable lenses for weddings which will still produce sharp images. (My start up budget is around R60 000)

Any advice on putting together the best start-up kit will be appreciated.

Aug 17, 2013 at 08:29 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Advice needed on buying wedding photography equipment

Put the money into the glass, and get a 5D classic or MkII.

Aug 17, 2013 at 09:43 AM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Advice needed on buying wedding photography equipment

The 5D mk2 will always be an amazing camera. Pro's in all disciplines of photography rely on it daily to deliver. It really is the first modern classic, short of wear and tear I can't see any reason why it would be obsolete even five years from now. Print preference sizes aren't going to change. The vast majority of people print in either 4x6 or 8x10 which 21MP can handle easy. High ISO is amazing especially in comparison to film. And if you ever come across anything ISO 3200 and f1.4 can't handle you're likely going to want to use a flash anyway.

Aug 17, 2013 at 11:47 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Advice needed on buying wedding photography equipment

amonline wrote:
Put the money into the glass, and get a 5D classic or MkII.

+1

Aug 17, 2013 at 03:20 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Advice needed on buying wedding photography equipment

What about backup? No way should you show up for any paid shoot without a extra body and extra flash. You could most likely get by if only one lens went out.

Aug 17, 2013 at 04:06 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Advice needed on buying wedding photography equipment

you need a 2nd body, it doesn't have to be the same model, but if it is, you will know it inside out.

Aug 17, 2013 at 04:45 PM
scot1

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Advice needed on buying wedding photography equipment

I shot with 2X 5D classics for years. Image quality is excellent. Maybe not as exciting as the newer bodies but a very capable camera. Combine that with some quality fast glass and you are set. That is where I would put my money.

Aug 17, 2013 at 05:13 PM
Corojo
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Advice needed on buying wedding photography equipment

Yolane...welcome!!! You REALLY do need 2 frames for wedding work. As others have said good glass is more important than newest high end frames. If you were to purchase a 5d2/7d combo you would have both ff + crop cameras - would give a different LOOK to you images using the same glass. I think you will find the 24-70 will be your most used lens thru the wedding day... if you have the funds the new 24-70 Cannon v2 has stellar raves (we use an older 24/70 v1 that's crazy sharp). I'd go cheap on the other lens...maybe a 28mm. f1.8 to(backup w.a.)... 50 mm f1.8 vs. the 1.4 which has many issues(back up mid range)... 85mm f1.8 (back up tele) and finally the 135mm f2 (or maybe the 70/200 f4 IS). You then would have 2 frames/2 strobes/5 lens w/all necessary backups. Down the road you could add the 16/35 v2 & 70/200 IS v2 & maybe the 14mm L. This wedding gear stuff ain't cheap... but you really owe it to your clients to have backups. GL - PM me if I can help... Ed K.

Aug 17, 2013 at 08:05 PM
heikoM
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Advice needed on buying wedding photography equipment

I believe fast and reliable AF is very important if you also shoot PJ style wide open.
I would go two 5DIII and 28, 50, 135 primes.

Each lens gives stellar results, you have redundancy and a versatile lightweight kid. When more money come and you like zooms you can add the 24-70.

my 2 cents (o:

heiko

Aug 17, 2013 at 08:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tom Dix
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Advice needed on buying wedding photography equipment

2 canon 5Ds, 2 580s, 35 2, 85 1.8, 24-105 IS. Very capable kit.

Aug 18, 2013 at 03:26 AM
Yolane

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Advice needed on buying wedding photography equipment

Hi everyone

Thank you all so much for taking the time to help me decide. I hear what you're saying about a second body. I do have a Canon 550d, but I'm not sure if I can use that for backup body. I'm strongly considering the advice I received from someone to rather opt for the 6d, use the 550d as backup, and then, in say 6 months time get the Mkiii. Then I can use the 6d for backup?

Aug 18, 2013 at 06:35 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Advice needed on buying wedding photography equipment

If get a 5D original and skip the Mark2 and 6D entirely until you can swing a Mark3.

Aug 18, 2013 at 12:06 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Advice needed on buying wedding photography equipment

I prefer the 5d2 over the 5d original for three big reasons:

1. Better high ISO, at least 1 stop of practical improvement.

2. Live view.

3. No RF interference noise.

Aug 18, 2013 at 03:05 PM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Advice needed on buying wedding photography equipment

Get an older body and put the money into glass. Either 5Di, 5DII or D700. Since you seem to like zooms the D700 might actually be the way to go unless you're already bought into canon.

Aug 18, 2013 at 03:13 PM
pette87
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Advice needed on buying wedding photography equipment

6d are quite good actually.
if you can't afford maybe a 5dc and a 5dII combo could be fine.
35 f2, 50 1.4, 85 1.8 are a strong starting kit.

Aug 18, 2013 at 04:51 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Advice needed on buying wedding photography equipment

2 x 5Dc. Digital photography started long before this camera but it is still a capable camera that will take care of your needs if YOU learn the proper way to shoot with it. Get good glass and flashes with the remainder of your money.

Aug 18, 2013 at 08:38 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Advice needed on buying wedding photography equipment

Tom Dix wrote:
2 canon 5Ds, 2 580s, 35 2, 85 1.8, 24-105 IS. Very capable kit.

I agree with Tom

Aug 18, 2013 at 08:55 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password