Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Phottix Strato II

MRomine
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Phottix Strato II

Anyone using Phottix Strato II with either a D4 and/or D3s and SB900 successfully?

Aug 16, 2013 at 11:41 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Phottix Strato II

Probably everyone.

Personally I use microsyncs. I use my off camera flash manually, and like that it's super small, the range is good enough if you're always in the same room as your flash.

Aug 16, 2013 at 11:45 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Phottix Strato II

I dont see why not? It is a manual flash where you can put the triggers in group. You can turn on and off the groups from far but you cant set the power. No ttl, no fp mode.

Aug 17, 2013 at 12:07 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Phottix Strato II

Used with a D800 with no problems, as well as my Canon stuff...with 580EX, Sunpak 383 and Nikon sb28dx flashes being triggered.

Aug 17, 2013 at 12:11 AM
johnrg
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Phottix Strato II

They work perfectly with my D700s and SB900s.

Aug 17, 2013 at 12:53 AM
MRomine
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Phottix Strato II

Hmmm, I just got mine yesterday and I can not get them to fire consistently. In fact it appears that the only time the off-camera will fire is when the IR sensor side is turned toward the Master on-camera. This is why I'm asking, I wonder if anyone is actually using the same combo, D4, on-camera SB900 and off-camera SB900.

On-camera SB900 is set to Ch1 and GrA and set to Master. The transmitter is also set to Ch1 and GrA. Off-camera is set to remote, Ch1 and GrA and so is the receiver. The Off-camera is set to Manual mode before switching to Remote.

I was having the same exact problem with two pairs of yn622n. Could not get them to work consistently even in the office/studio. Kept digging around on the YN website and it appears that they have never tested them with D3, D3s or D4 so they will not confirm that they work with their gear. So I was wondering the same about these units.

Aug 17, 2013 at 01:58 AM
RKTodd
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Phottix Strato II

MRomine wrote:
Anyone using Phottix Strato II with either a D4 and/or D3s and SB900 successfully?

I use them with my D3s and SB900 setup. Very dependable, and I like the fact that I can easily turn remote flashes either on or off.

Aug 17, 2013 at 01:59 AM
MRomine
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Phottix Strato II

RKTodd wrote:
I use them with my D3s and SB900 setup. Very dependable, and I like the fact that I can easily turn remote flashes either on or off.

Just to verify, is that the Original Strato or Strato II?

Aug 17, 2013 at 02:02 AM
johnrg
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Phottix Strato II

MRomine wrote:
Hmmm, I just got mine yesterday and I can not get them to fire consistently. In fact it appears that the only time the off-camera will fire is when the IR sensor side is turned toward the Master on-camera. This is why I'm asking, I wonder if anyone is actually using the same combo, D4, on-camera SB900 and off-camera SB900.

On-camera SB900 is set to Ch1 and GrA and set to Master. The transmitter is also set to Ch1 and GrA. Off-camera is set to remote, Ch1 and GrA and so is the receiver. The Off-camera is set to Manual mode
...Show more

The off camera flash should be set in manual mode. Make sure that the A button on the trigger is toggled on (sounds like you already do). I set my on camera flash to TTL or manual, but not master.

Aug 17, 2013 at 02:23 AM
MRomine
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Phottix Strato II

johnrg wrote:
The off camera flash should be set in manual mode.

Ok, I'm doing that.

johnrg wroteMake sure that the A button on the trigger is toggled on (sounds like you already do).

You mean GrA is turned on? I have it on.

johnrg wroteI set my on camera flash to TTL or manual, but not master.

Ohhhhh, this could be it. I've been shooting with the on-cameera SB900 set to Master. Can't wait to try this out to see if this is the issue.

But when you do this then how do you control the output levels of the off-camera flash?

Aug 17, 2013 at 02:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

johnrg
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Phottix Strato II

MRomine wrote:
Ohhhhh, this could be it. I've been shooting with the on-cameera SB900 set to Master. Can't wait to try this out to see if this is the issue.

But when you do this then how do you control the output levels of the off-camera flash?

The Stratos are dumb triggers, so you'll have to adjust the output to taste in manual mode. If you need the ability to adjust from the camera you'll have to get triggers that support TTL (such as Radio Poppers, Pocket Wizard Flex TT5, Phottix Odins, to name a few).

Aug 17, 2013 at 02:40 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Phottix Strato II

Strattos are the best triggers ever... when used properly. I've used every other brand, and my Strattos were BY FAR the best single light-related purchase I've ever made. I've never looked back. Oh, but I've had plenty of second shooters cussing in the corners when their RPs/PWs/etc. weren't working.

Aug 17, 2013 at 06:27 AM
RKTodd
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Phottix Strato II

MRomine wrote:
Just to verify, is that the Original Strato or Strato II?

Stratto II

Aug 17, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Phottix Strato II

Use them with my D3s, D3 and my SB900/910s at every wedding, never had an issue.

Half the price of the PW and every bit as good. TTL isn't important to me, and that's the only thing they lack.

Aug 17, 2013 at 01:20 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Phottix Strato II

Half the price is always a good thing. And manually setting a flash's power is better than TTL's "sometimes" accuracy.

But not being able to adjust the OCF up or down right from the camera- well, maybe I can still put up w/ my PW's.

Aug 17, 2013 at 02:42 PM
MRomine
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Phottix Strato II

Nikon_14 wrote:
But not being able to adjust the OCF up or down right from the camera- well, maybe I can still put up w/ my PW's.

For sure!

Aug 17, 2013 at 05:31 PM
RKTodd
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Phottix Strato II

If your using OCF only, then you could try the Phottix Oden. You have full ttl and manual control of OCF's BUT, it does not allow for a flash to be mounted on top of the camera.

I have a set and they work great.

Aug 17, 2013 at 10:48 PM
MRomine
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Phottix Strato II

RKTodd wrote:
If your using OCF only, then you could try the Phottix Oden. You have full ttl and manual control of OCF's BUT, it does not allow for a flash to be mounted on top of the camera.

I have a set and they work great.

Thanks for weighing in. I was looking at those too. There are times when I want on-camera flash as well as the ability to control OCF output from camera locatoin and I would like to do that with out paying an arm and a leg for PW. Plus I hear so may complaints about them. Then I also have a set of RP but those are about a 70% hit rate.

Aug 17, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Phottix Strato II

RKTodd wrote:
you could try the Phottix Oden. BUT, it does not allow for a flash to be mounted on top of the camera.

Bummer, because 1 of the few drawbacks about OCF is that it can create raccoon eyes and other facial shadows which are corrected w/ on-camera fill.

Aug 18, 2013 at 05:24 AM
rmarko
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Phottix Strato II

Mark,

With the Radio Popper PX units, make sure the foam "doughnut" that seals between the PX receiver and the IR window on the SB-900 does not shift and block that communication. I kind of "permafied" mine, chucking the "doughnut" and using some pieces of craft foam glued to the RP bracket. Once I did that, success rate went into the high 90% rate. I also use a velcro strap to wrap around the entire SB-900/RP combo. Makes the unit very solid and still allows quick access. I'll try to post a picture of that if you're interested.

Aug 18, 2013 at 06:38 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password