New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · GoPro Hero3 Black - MicroSD card suggestion

Steve Park
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · GoPro Hero3 Black - MicroSD card suggestion

Not exactly photography related, if not appropriate for this forum, please delete.

Bought myself a GoPro Hero3 Black which is capable of taking full HD video and more.

Now that I need a few right(meaning not the most expensive) microSD cards in 32GB or 64GB size. GoPro website lists CLASS 10 microSD cards made by a few different brand names, but namely SanDisk is not listed.

I'm sure a lot of folks here have used GoPro Hero3 Black with various microSD cards, please tell me what your experience with any particular brand, especially if you had ever experienced difficulties due to SLOW WRITE SPEED.

Also, if you have some other suggestions as to what kind of accessories I need to get, suggest that as well. Thanks for your advice.

Aug 16, 2013 at 03:24 PM
Steve Park
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · GoPro Hero3 Black - MicroSD card suggestion

I'm thinking to get a few of these SanDisk 32GB microSD cards like this;
SanDisk claims minimum write speed for this as 10mbs, but some reviews report this not true, any thoughts?

http://static.bhphoto.com/images/images150x150/886009.jpg

Aug 16, 2013 at 03:28 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · GoPro Hero3 Black - MicroSD card suggestion

Don't do it. I had three of them and lucky for me the retailer took them back with a full refund.

GoPro Hero3 BE's pump an tonne of data out when you set high resolutions and ProTune On and the Sandisk Ultra's can't keep up. They should by design but not by practise. Lots of people thought(an GoPro) that the camera was faulty until further testing was done. GoPro have removed them from their site, do not recommend them and the latest firmware v3.03 will dumb down any Sandisk card to 35 mbs versus 45 mbs with Lexar 600x.

This is the card you want
http://cbcdn1.gp-static.com/uploads/product_photo/image/60990/Lexar_Card_683x426.jpg

Aug 16, 2013 at 04:39 PM
Steve Park
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · GoPro Hero3 Black - MicroSD card suggestion

Humm....Sandisk ultra (as shown above in my post) is rated as 10mps MIN write speed, not 35mps.
Thanks for your input.

I am going to hold ordering for a while, any others?

Aug 16, 2013 at 05:13 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · GoPro Hero3 Black - MicroSD card suggestion

Check the GoPro Support site, they list supported cards, I'd suggest sticking with those.

I just bought 3 of the 600x Lexars.

Aug 17, 2013 at 12:13 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · GoPro Hero3 Black - MicroSD card suggestion

Yeah, GoPros have been finicky with memory cards since at least the first Hero HD (aka GoPro 1).

Don't screw around. Why are you wedded to Sandisk anyway?

Aug 17, 2013 at 02:09 AM
BlueBomberTurbo
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · GoPro Hero3 Black - MicroSD card suggestion

The SanDisk Ultra 64GBs, for whatever reason, are generally buggy. Avoid them at all costs. Samsung and Lexar are better. Also, GoPro has reduced the Protune bitrates for some cards (including Sandisk), since they can't keep up. Check their site for the newest firmware and card compatibility.

Aug 17, 2013 at 07:23 PM
Steve Park
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · GoPro Hero3 Black - MicroSD card suggestion

Thanks for the reply.
I heard many people experienced freeze with SanDisk Ultra 64GB and even Samsung 64GB had some problem as well. Not sure why and how they format with GoPro, maybe that's the culprit.

I had updated with latest firmware, took test video for an hour with SanDisk 64GB microSD card I used on Samsung tablets, worked just fine. The new WiFi app to control GoPro Hero3 with my Samsung phone is awesome!

Oh, I only shot 1080P Protune until battery died, worked just fine.

Aug 17, 2013 at 07:33 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · GoPro Hero3 Black - MicroSD card suggestion

Steve Park wrote:
Thanks for the reply.
I heard many people experienced freeze with SanDisk Ultra 64GB and even Samsung 64GB had some problem as well. Not sure why and how they format with GoPro, maybe that's the culprit.

I had updated with latest firmware, took test video for an hour with SanDisk 64GB microSD card I used on Samsung tablets, worked just fine. The new WiFi app to control GoPro Hero3 with my Samsung phone is awesome!

Oh, I only shot 1080P Protune until battery died, worked just fine.

Check the GoPro support page, if you shoot in 4k, 2.7k or 2.7k cine with ProTune you will have problems with Sandisk cards. That is why GoPro released the latest update 3.03 so the camera can detect which card you are using and throttle back the bit rate from 45 mbs to 35 mbs. Lots of people were blaming GoPro when in fact it was a Sandisk problem. If you want 45 mbs and 2.7k with ProTune you will need a better card, the Lexar 600x is certified to work.

Aug 19, 2013 at 01:17 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · GoPro Hero3 Black - MicroSD card suggestion

I have the 64GB ultra. all I use it for is to hold movies and images for use in my surface pro.

Aug 19, 2013 at 04:32 PM
DreamBanger

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · GoPro Hero3 Black - MicroSD card suggestion

I always use sandisk. I have the 32g sandisk ultra. More than enough for the go pro battery life. Because according to this http://www.thehonestreviews.com/video/gopro-hero3-black-edition-review/ the battery life is practically nonexistent.

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:11 PM
callie010

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · GoPro Hero3 Black - MicroSD card suggestion

Use SanDisk Ultra 32GB microSDHC Memory Card for your Gopro Hero Cameras. It is best gopro sd card.
gopro sd card

Nov 21, 2016 at 01:35 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · GoPro Hero3 Black - MicroSD card suggestion

I headed over to my local Micro Center a couple weeks ago to get a SanDisk Ultra 64GB SD card for a new phone's internal memory. The web site said two in stock but when I got there they were not on the rack and a rep told me they had been pulled - no explanation. So I got a Samsung Pro Plus 64GB instead. Here's what one reviewer said about this card on the B&H web site:

This Micro SD card works like a charm. Super fast. I have one for my GoPro 3+ Black and 4 Black. Their is no lag in transfer and handles 4k video like a dream. I also use in my E1 Camera this card just works! Must own if you are serious about recording great video with no card issues.

Nov 21, 2016 at 09:14 AM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · GoPro Hero3 Black - MicroSD card suggestion

As already posted, GoPro initially suggested and sold the Sandisk Ultra, until people were getting write errors. I too bought the Sandsik cards for my new Hero Black 3 but had the same issues, thankfully my reseller took them back for a full refund. I replaced them with Lexar 32GB 600x. No issues with those.

Nov 21, 2016 at 01:07 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.